New GA-7N400 Pro2 and old drive don't work together...

Just up graded from a GA-7VRXP to a GA-7N400 Pro2 because my new
XP2800 (333) processor wouldn't go above 2000 in the older board.
(266fsb limit)

I was hoping to use Windows XP that's on my 120 gig drive that I used
with the 7vrxp board. As per my usual luck, it won't boot.

I've tried changing pretty much everything in the bios and even
updated to F10 without getting anywhere. It get's as far as the
initial Windows screen with the little blue tootsie rolls and then it
reboots.

I did a fresh install on another drive and all works fine.

Is there anything I can do to get the 120 drive working? I hate to
spend so much time installing programs. I see there are quite a few
drivers to get everything going. Could it be that the previous
install needs one of these drivers?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Fred

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Fred,

inna hurry, late for woik (could this computer stuff be WHY!!!!!) You have to perform a repair installation on your old HD, it still thinks You have the old board. Google this on the web, there are plenty of sites that tell You How. will check back on ya this eve. when I have more time. DON'T rush this tho!

Rick

FredEX wrote:
> Just up graded from a GA-7VRXP to a GA-7N400 Pro2 because my new
> XP2800 (333) processor wouldn't go above 2000 in the older board.
> (266fsb limit)
>
> I was hoping to use Windows XP that's on my 120 gig drive that I used
> with the 7vrxp board. As per my usual luck, it won't boot.
>
> I've tried changing pretty much everything in the bios and even
> updated to F10 without getting anywhere. It get's as far as the
> initial Windows screen with the little blue tootsie rolls and then it
> reboots.
>
> I did a fresh install on another drive and all works fine.
>
> Is there anything I can do to get the 120 drive working? I hate to
> spend so much time installing programs. I see there are quite a few
> drivers to get everything going. Could it be that the previous
> install needs one of these drivers?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Fred

Rick:

Thanks for the info. I tried doing a repair but it wouldn't work.

I think the problem is in the chipsets: Via vs. NForce2.

I erased Windows and started over.

Fred

"FredEX" <fredex@tx.rr.com> wrote in message
> Just up graded from a GA-7VRXP to a GA-7N400 Pro2 because my new
> XP2800 (333) processor wouldn't go above 2000 in the older board.
> (266fsb limit)
>
> I was hoping to use Windows XP that's on my 120 gig drive that I used
> with the 7vrxp board. As per my usual luck, it won't boot.
>
> I've tried changing pretty much everything in the bios and even
> updated to F10 without getting anywhere. It get's as far as the
> initial Windows screen with the little blue tootsie rolls and then it
> reboots.
>
> I did a fresh install on another drive and all works fine.
>
> Is there anything I can do to get the 120 drive working? I hate to
> spend so much time installing programs. I see there are quite a few
> drivers to get everything going. Could it be that the previous
> install needs one of these drivers?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Fred

WinXP doesn't like major hardware changes, like changing your motherboard.

Apart from re-formatting and starting from scratch the only other option I
know of is to boot off your WinXP cd, go past the screen where it offers you
the option of a recovery console session to the screen where you'd start to
install XP. On that screen you should see an option to repair the current
installation ... you'll be back to where you would be if you'd started from
scratch but with all of your drivers etc. intact. You'll need to visit the
windows update page of course.

(hope you have broadband!)

Mal

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:51:05 +0100, "Mal" <mincer2000@hotmail.com>
wrote:

The problem is that you have changed components in the HAL (Hardware
Abstraction Layer) and WINXP (2K also) can't figure out how to access
boot info. It is a royal pain, and there is not much that can be
done. Though before I do things like Swap a MB, I export all of the
registry in chucks, so that I can import it into a new install

>"FredEX" <fredex@tx.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Just up graded from a GA-7VRXP to a GA-7N400 Pro2 because my new
>> XP2800 (333) processor wouldn't go above 2000 in the older board.
>> (266fsb limit)
>>
>> I was hoping to use Windows XP that's on my 120 gig drive that I used
>> with the 7vrxp board. As per my usual luck, it won't boot.
>>
>> I've tried changing pretty much everything in the bios and even
>> updated to F10 without getting anywhere. It get's as far as the
>> initial Windows screen with the little blue tootsie rolls and then it
>> reboots.
>>
>> I did a fresh install on another drive and all works fine.
>>
>> Is there anything I can do to get the 120 drive working? I hate to
>> spend so much time installing programs. I see there are quite a few
>> drivers to get everything going. Could it be that the previous
>> install needs one of these drivers?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks very much.
>>
>> Fred
>
>WinXP doesn't like major hardware changes, like changing your motherboard.
>
>Apart from re-formatting and starting from scratch the only other option I
>know of is to boot off your WinXP cd, go past the screen where it offers you
>the option of a recovery console session to the screen where you'd start to
>install XP. On that screen you should see an option to repair the current
>installation ... you'll be back to where you would be if you'd started from
>scratch but with all of your drivers etc. intact. You'll need to visit the
>windows update page of course.
>
> (hope you have broadband!)
>
>Mal

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

FredEX,

Good deal,Hope Your up and running. I went intel (440BX)GA-6BXC to intel (875P) GA-8KNXP. FYI, XP has two repair options,
You need to use the second one (click thru the 1st), but You're probably right about the chipsets. I have NO experience with either
of the ones You mentioned. I migrated XP to a bigger HD in the 6BXC, then hit it with the new mobo. I am really
impressed that XP did it.

Rick