HD Detection in Dos mode

Hi

I am trying to boot in Dos mode, either using a Ghost generated disk, or a
system disk created in Win XP. Either way, I can not see the hard drives
properly. I can´t access them via the drive letters, for instance.

What is happening? How can I correct this?

Thanks,
6 answers Last reply
More about detection mode

    If the disks are in formatted NTFS, you need 3rd party utilities to see
    them...
    NTFSDos from www.winternals.com is one of them. Free if you need only
    reading capabilities.

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "User" <User@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Hi
    >
    > I am trying to boot in Dos mode, either using a Ghost generated disk, or a
    > system disk created in Win XP. Either way, I can not see the hard drives
    > properly. I can´t access them via the drive letters, for instance.
    >
    > What is happening? How can I correct this?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Some partitions are NTFS, others are FAT.

    I am trying to use Symantec Ghost. It used to work, but now it can not find
    the partitions anymore.

    Thanks,

    "User" <User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I am trying to boot in Dos mode, either using a Ghost generated disk, or a
    > system disk created in Win XP. Either way, I can not see the hard drives
    > properly. I can´t access them via the drive letters, for instance.
    >
    > What is happening? How can I correct this?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Your post is a little unclear:

    - When you say "DOS mode", do you mean DOS as
    an operating system, or do you mean the "Command Prompt"
    (which is not DOS at all!)?
    - What exactly do you mean with a "system disk
    created in WinXP"?
    - What are your partitions, FAT32 or NTFS?
    - What are you actually trying to achieve?

    Well, I meant command prompt. I said DOS because I created the system disk
    with Win XP, and there used to be a DOS mode...

    The "system disk" is a floppy I formatted using the option "create MS-DOS
    initializtion disk".

    Some partitions are NTFS, others are FAT.

    I am trying to use Symantec Ghost, but it can not find the disks and
    partitions. I have used it before, created and restored some images a few
    months ago. Now I can not access it any longer.

    Thanks,

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "User" <User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I am trying to boot in Dos mode, either using a Ghost generated disk, or a
    > > system disk created in Win XP. Either way, I can not see the hard drives
    > > properly. I can´t access them via the drive letters, for instance.
    > >
    > > What is happening? How can I correct this?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    >
    > Your post is a little unclear:
    >
    > - When you say "DOS mode", do you mean DOS as
    > an operating system, or do you mean the "Command Prompt"
    > (which is not DOS at all!)?
    > - What exactly do you mean with a "system disk
    > created in WinXP"?
    > - What are your partitions, FAT32 or NTFS?
    > - What are you actually trying to achieve?

    As Thomas Wendell suggested, run ntfsdos to make your NTFS
    partitions visible. This should enable you to locate your Ghost
    image files.

    Personally I do not think that image files should be stored on
    the PC's working disk. It defies the purpose of creating images.
    I store all my images on removeable disks. This is much, much
    safer.

    > Well, I meant command prompt. I said DOS because I created the system disk
    > with Win XP, and there used to be a DOS mode...
    >
    > The "system disk" is a floppy I formatted using the option "create MS-DOS
    > initializtion disk".
    >
    > Some partitions are NTFS, others are FAT.
    >
    > I am trying to use Symantec Ghost, but it can not find the disks and
    > partitions. I have used it before, created and restored some images a few
    > months ago. Now I can not access it any longer.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >

    > > "User" <User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > I am trying to boot in Dos mode, either using a Ghost generated disk,
    or a
    > > > system disk created in Win XP. Either way, I can not see the hard
    drives
    > > > properly. I can´t access them via the drive letters, for instance.
    > > >
    > > > What is happening? How can I correct this?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Your post is a little unclear:
    > >
    > > - When you say "DOS mode", do you mean DOS as
    > > an operating system, or do you mean the "Command Prompt"
    > > (which is not DOS at all!)?
    > > - What exactly do you mean with a "system disk
    > > created in WinXP"?
    > > - What are your partitions, FAT32 or NTFS?
    > > - What are you actually trying to achieve?

Detection DOS Mode Windows XP