I have an ASUS motherboard with a mixture of USB1 and USB2 ports. The ports
have worked fine until recently when they stopped working.

Device Manager shows all USB devices with a yellow exclamation mark and the
Properties tab reports "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code
28)".

I have spent hours trying to re-install drivers from the original ASUS disk,
MS site and VIA site without any success.

If I delete the drivers and scan for hardware changes, the USB ports and
controller are discovered and the drivers automatically load with the same
result. Manually installing the same of different drivers results in the
same problem.

I am now tearing my hair out and having to resort to my kids Win98 machine
for USB connections.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

peter

Hi,

Have you installed SP1/SP2?
If yes, disconnect all the USB devices, including the USB mouse and keyboard
(using PS/2 mouse and keyboard at this time).
Boot in safe mode and login as administrator.
Go to device manager, double click the Universal Serial Bus Controller.
Right click on the XXX PCI to USB Open Host controller and then click
uninstall, click Apply/OK. Uninstall the xxx PCI to USB Enhanced Host
Controller as well.
Exit device manager and reboot.
Windows should found new hardwares and install the drivers. DO NOT
interrupt untill it finished loading drivers. Go to device manager and check
that the USB controllers are there and are working properly.
Re-connect the USB devices each at one time, make sure the USB device is
working properly before connecting the other USB devices.

If still no avail, the on-board USB controller might become faulty. Buy a
new PCI USB 2.0 card. Its cheap, about $10.- with 4 USB 2.0 port using NEC
chipsets.

Peter

"Joe G" wrote:

> I have an ASUS motherboard with a mixture of USB1 and USB2 ports. The ports
> have worked fine until recently when they stopped working.
>
> Device Manager shows all USB devices with a yellow exclamation mark and the
> Properties tab reports "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code
> 28)".
>
> I have spent hours trying to re-install drivers from the original ASUS disk,
> MS site and VIA site without any success.
>
> If I delete the drivers and scan for hardware changes, the USB ports and
> controller are discovered and the drivers automatically load with the same
> result. Manually installing the same of different drivers results in the
> same problem.
>
> I am now tearing my hair out and having to resort to my kids Win98 machine
> for USB connections.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

check the asus website for USB drivers, its a pain in the ass to navigate
but they are there, i had a similar problem a while ago with USB 2 drivers
on XP, but its never reapeated itself since SP1 was installed

"Joe G" <!@!.!> wrote in message
>I have an ASUS motherboard with a mixture of USB1 and USB2 ports. The ports
> have worked fine until recently when they stopped working.
>
> Device Manager shows all USB devices with a yellow exclamation mark and
> the
> Properties tab reports "The drivers for this device are not installed.
> (Code
> 28)".
>
> I have spent hours trying to re-install drivers from the original ASUS
> disk,
> MS site and VIA site without any success.
>
> If I delete the drivers and scan for hardware changes, the USB ports and
> controller are discovered and the drivers automatically load with the same
> result. Manually installing the same of different drivers results in the
> same problem.
>
> I am now tearing my hair out and having to resort to my kids Win98 machine
> for USB connections.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Peter
Thanks for the tip but I have already done this.
When restarting, Windows detects the hardware and reloads the drivers.
But if finishes with same error message (Code 28).

If the on board USB controller is faulty, will Windows detect it ?

Joe

> Hi,
>
> Have you installed SP1/SP2?
> If yes, disconnect all the USB devices, including the USB mouse and
keyboard
> (using PS/2 mouse and keyboard at this time).
> Boot in safe mode and login as administrator.
> Go to device manager, double click the Universal Serial Bus Controller.
> Right click on the XXX PCI to USB Open Host controller and then click
> uninstall, click Apply/OK. Uninstall the xxx PCI to USB Enhanced Host
> Controller as well.
> Exit device manager and reboot.
> Windows should found new hardwares and install the drivers. DO NOT
> interrupt untill it finished loading drivers. Go to device manager and
check
> that the USB controllers are there and are working properly.
> Re-connect the USB devices each at one time, make sure the USB device is
> working properly before connecting the other USB devices.
>
> If still no avail, the on-board USB controller might become faulty. Buy a
> new PCI USB 2.0 card. Its cheap, about $10.- with 4 USB 2.0 port using NEC
> chipsets.
>
> Peter
>

> "Joe G" wrote:
>
> > I have an ASUS motherboard with a mixture of USB1 and USB2 ports. The
ports
> > have worked fine until recently when they stopped working.
> >
> > Device Manager shows all USB devices with a yellow exclamation mark and
the
> > Properties tab reports "The drivers for this device are not installed.
(Code
> > 28)".
> >
> > I have spent hours trying to re-install drivers from the original ASUS
disk,
> > MS site and VIA site without any success.
> >
> > If I delete the drivers and scan for hardware changes, the USB ports and
> > controller are discovered and the drivers automatically load with the
same
> > result. Manually installing the same of different drivers results in the
> > same problem.
> >
> > I am now tearing my hair out and having to resort to my kids Win98
machine
> > for USB connections.
> >
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated.

peter

Hi,

It can't load the drivers if the USB controller is faulty.
Error code 28 means drivers is not installed.
If you have already installed SP1 or SP2 and you have not installed anything
recently that might cause the problem, it is very likely that the USB
controller become faulty. Try a PCI USB 2.0 card as I have suggested.

You may want to see these links as well:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815834
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575

Peter

"Joe G" wrote:

> Peter
> Thanks for the tip but I have already done this.
> When restarting, Windows detects the hardware and reloads the drivers.
> But if finishes with same error message (Code 28).
>
> If the on board USB controller is faulty, will Windows detect it ?
>
> Joe
>
> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Have you installed SP1/SP2?
> > If yes, disconnect all the USB devices, including the USB mouse and
> keyboard
> > (using PS/2 mouse and keyboard at this time).
> > Boot in safe mode and login as administrator.
> > Go to device manager, double click the Universal Serial Bus Controller.
> > Right click on the XXX PCI to USB Open Host controller and then click
> > uninstall, click Apply/OK. Uninstall the xxx PCI to USB Enhanced Host
> > Controller as well.
> > Exit device manager and reboot.
> > Windows should found new hardwares and install the drivers. DO NOT
> > interrupt untill it finished loading drivers. Go to device manager and
> check
> > that the USB controllers are there and are working properly.
> > Re-connect the USB devices each at one time, make sure the USB device is
> > working properly before connecting the other USB devices.
> >
> > If still no avail, the on-board USB controller might become faulty. Buy a
> > new PCI USB 2.0 card. Its cheap, about $10.- with 4 USB 2.0 port using NEC
> > chipsets.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> > "Joe G" wrote:
> >
> > > I have an ASUS motherboard with a mixture of USB1 and USB2 ports. The
> ports
> > > have worked fine until recently when they stopped working.
> > >
> > > Device Manager shows all USB devices with a yellow exclamation mark and
> the
> > > Properties tab reports "The drivers for this device are not installed.
> (Code
> > > 28)".
> > >
> > > I have spent hours trying to re-install drivers from the original ASUS
> disk,
> > > MS site and VIA site without any success.
> > >
> > > If I delete the drivers and scan for hardware changes, the USB ports and
> > > controller are discovered and the drivers automatically load with the
> same
> > > result. Manually installing the same of different drivers results in the
> > > same problem.
> > >
> > > I am now tearing my hair out and having to resort to my kids Win98
> machine
> > > for USB connections.
> > >
> > > Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have searched the Asus site. I have downloaded drivers. Also VIA site. But
in each case the driver installation ends up with the same error (Code 28)