How to setup irq and i/o for com1 to com8

Dear all,

I want to add 7 serial com port to my computer, totally, there
will be 8 comport. As I am not familiarized with comport setting. so
please suggest the best setting for 8 serial com port. What is the
(maximum) legal range of i/o address that I can use. And what is the
(maximum)legal range of irq that I can use. Can I assign same irq
number to different com port? Or should I arrange a unique irq and i/o
address to the com port.

Please suggest your solution as follows:

i/o irq
com1
com2
com3
com4
com5
com6
com7
com8

Thanks for your help.
4 answers Last reply
More about setup com1 com8

    Don't know about 8 ports but the standard for four is:
    Com 1 = 3F8h to 3FFh 4
    Com 2 = 2F8h to 2FFh 3
    Com 3 = 3E8h to 3EFh 4
    Com 4 = 2E8h to 2EFh 3

    "hon123456" <peterhon321@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I want to add 7 serial com port to my computer, totally, there
    > will be 8 comport. As I am not familiarized with comport setting. so
    > please suggest the best setting for 8 serial com port. What is the
    > (maximum) legal range of i/o address that I can use. And what is the
    > (maximum)legal range of irq that I can use. Can I assign same irq
    > number to different com port? Or should I arrange a unique irq and i/o
    > address to the com port.
    >
    > Please suggest your solution as follows:
    >
    > i/o irq
    > com1
    > com2
    > com3
    > com4
    > com5
    > com6
    > com7
    > com8
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Install the cards and let windows do the rest.

    On 25 Nov 2004 20:08:31 -0800, peterhon321@yahoo.com.hk
    (hon123456) wrote:

    >Dear all,
    >
    > I want to add 7 serial com port to my computer, totally, there
    >will be 8 comport. As I am not familiarized with comport setting. so
    >please suggest the best setting for 8 serial com port. What is the
    >(maximum) legal range of i/o address that I can use. And what is the
    >(maximum)legal range of irq that I can use. Can I assign same irq
    >number to different com port? Or should I arrange a unique irq and i/o
    >address to the com port.
    >
    >Please suggest your solution as follows:
    >
    > i/o irq
    > com1
    > com2
    > com3
    > com4
    > com5
    > com6
    > com7
    > com8
    >
    >Thanks for your help.

    Unless you are using some old hardware, most current comport
    adapters now use virtual comports which share irq 9 if they are
    hardware adapters, and if they are USB based, they may not use an
    irq. What does your your comport adapter maker say?

    Do not buy three extra 2 port COM port card. Buy a special intelligent
    multi-serial port adapter. These type of card have a special "processor" to
    handle the extra ports and may only use 1 IRQ/DMA channel.

    Check with one such manaufacturer:

    www.digi.com

    "hon123456" <peterhon321@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I want to add 7 serial com port to my computer, totally, there
    > will be 8 comport. As I am not familiarized with comport setting. so
    > please suggest the best setting for 8 serial com port. What is the
    > (maximum) legal range of i/o address that I can use. And what is the
    > (maximum)legal range of irq that I can use. Can I assign same irq
    > number to different com port? Or should I arrange a unique irq and i/o
    > address to the com port.
    >
    > Please suggest your solution as follows:
    >
    > i/o irq
    > com1
    > com2
    > com3