Nokia's Lumia 900 Now On Sale in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Sort of Yawn. After spending some time with one and a couple other actually older phones. It is at best a marginal improvement over the 710 and 800. The only reason a family member got one was because of the $100 bill credit Nokia was handing out because of their (continuing) "beta test is over" fiasco.

[citation][nom]stardude82[/nom]Sort of Yawn. After spending some time with one and a couple other actually older phones. It is at best a marginal improvement over the 710 and 800. The only reason a family member got one was because of the $100 bill credit Nokia was handing out because of their (continuing) "beta test is over" fiasco.[/citation]
How has your family member liked it? I assume by your comments, you or someone you know has one of the earlier versions. How have they been?

nord_musician

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
[citation][nom]stardude82[/nom]Sort of Yawn. After spending some time with one and a couple other actually older phones. It is at best a marginal improvement over the 710 and 800. The only reason a family member got one was because of the $100 bill credit Nokia was handing out because of their (continuing) "beta test is over" fiasco.[/citation]

cool story bro

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I really wanted one but alas they're locked to At&T and will not fully work on T-Mobile, if you want 4G only the AT&T band is supported. Another thing which greatly annoyed me was the fact you have to install an app on your computer to talk to it via the USB cable. This blew my mind, why is my Android able to connect to any PC (windows/linux/mac) w/o any extra voodoo, and a Windows Phone can't talk to a Windows PC out of the box?

Other than that the phone is great, the screen is especially good despite the low resolution.

I'm hoping the next gen devices by Nokia resolve some of these issues such as the low resolution and be unlocked!

Instead I bought a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I'm disgustingly happy with my choice.

[citation][nom]Niva[/nom]I really wanted one but alas they're locked to At&T and will not work on T-Mobile. Another thing which greatly annoyed me was the fact you have to install an app on your computer to talk to it via the USB cable. This blew my mind, why is my Android able to connect to any PC (windows/linux/mac) w/o any extra voodoo, and a Windows Phone can't talk to a Windows PC out of the box?Other than that the phone is great, the screen is especially good despite the low resolution. I'm hoping the next gen devices by Nokia resolve some of these issues such as the low resolution and be unlocked! Instead I bought a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I'm disgustingly happy with my choice.[/citation]
That no USB thing is not an Android feature, but the particular phone's feature. My Android also requires me to use a cable until I rooted it and used 3rd party software.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I think that was misunderstood, I wasn't talking about the capability to talk through USB to your machine, I was talking about what happens if you have the capability and not needing an extra application (like iTunes for crapPhones.)

I have 3 Android phones and all 3 connect out of the box to any PC via the microUSB cable.

[citation][nom]Niva[/nom]I think that was misunderstood, I wasn't talking about the capability to talk through USB to your machine, I was talking about what happens if you have the capability and not needing an extra application (like iTunes for crapPhones.) I have 3 Android phones and all 3 connect out of the box to any PC via the microUSB cable.[/citation]
I do think I misread what you were talking about, that said, I still had to install software on my PC for those features. Perhaps they felt that they would force you to download software if you use it as a way to avoid bloat?

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]How has your family member liked it? I assume by your comments, you or someone you know has one of the earlier versions. How have they been?[/citation]

She likes it well enough. But there have been connectivity issues and these have been well publicized. Battery life isn't great as well. The OS itself is pretty stable and innovative, but many of the apps are absolute garbage (like the AIM clients). Apps are 1/2 of the experience after all and they just aren't there yet.

Out of the current AT&T phones, the Samsung Mango phones are on par, the HTC Titan is the best but overly expensive in my opinion.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Ok so let me clear things up. I have used this phone since it came out. It has worked perfectly. It is very snappy. You can sync wirelessly with your computer but only if you are charging your phone (like at a wall outlet for example.) The screen is great. The battery lasts me all day but could be better, especially for those who use their phone a lot. Though I game on it 30 minutes or so. Yeah apps are still lacking but it'll be fixed. I am not having any connectivity issues, and it was easy to update windows with the patch. The phone is gorgeouis.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]Niva[/nom]I really wanted one but alas they're locked to At&T and will not fully work on T-Mobile, if you want 4G only the AT&T band is supported. Another thing which greatly annoyed me was the fact you have to install an app on your computer to talk to it via the USB cable. This blew my mind, why is my Android able to connect to any PC (windows/linux/mac) w/o any extra voodoo, and a Windows Phone can't talk to a Windows PC out of the box?Other than that the phone is great, the screen is especially good despite the low resolution. I'm hoping the next gen devices by Nokia resolve some of these issues such as the low resolution and be unlocked! Instead I bought a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I'm disgustingly happy with my choice.[/citation]
My guess is that you never had Nokia phone before, right? It's Nokia thing, I would be very surprised that it doesn't require pesky Nokia Suite. By the way, whether it's unlocked or not is problem of phone carrier not Nokia.

G

For the guy complaing about needing to install the Zune software, you can actually just hook up the phone as a flash drive too. I did it with my Lumia 710, just have to change a registry setting. And if you can't or don't know to check registry settings, why are you trying to use your phone as a flash drive...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS