Shane

Hello

(Second posting due to the last message gradually being lost in the depths
of time)

Hi

I have 3 questions regarding The Maxtor OneTouch 7200RPM 300GB Hard Drive.

Is it possible to watch video files (DivX movies for example) directly from
the external HD?

Can I share the content of the external drive on peer2peer (WinMX for
example) as I can with my internal HD's?

Would you recommend I buy a USB2 card or firewire 400 card to run the
external HD? (Iv read on many sites that firewire 400 is actualy faster than
USB2 in tests)

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I am using a Maxtor 7200 160GB One Touch Ext HDD connected to my laptop by
firewire and shared on my home network - no problems whatsoever - you would
not know from the performance that it was an external HDD. (I have
FlightSimulator stored on it as well as many video and MP3 files)

--
HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only

jel183(UK)

"Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> (Second posting due to the last message gradually being lost in the depths
> of time)
>
> Hi
>
> I have 3 questions regarding The Maxtor OneTouch 7200RPM 300GB Hard Drive.
>
> Is it possible to watch video files (DivX movies for example) directly
> from
> the external HD?
>
> Can I share the content of the external drive on peer2peer (WinMX for
> example) as I can with my internal HD's?
>
> Would you recommend I buy a USB2 card or firewire 400 card to run the
> external HD? (Iv read on many sites that firewire 400 is actualy faster
> than
> USB2 in tests)
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me.

Shane

Hi jel183

Thanks for your reply.

Your information has been very valuable, and I am almost convinced this is
the HD for me!

"jel183(UK)" wrote:

> I am using a Maxtor 7200 160GB One Touch Ext HDD connected to my laptop by
> firewire and shared on my home network - no problems whatsoever - you would
> not know from the performance that it was an external HDD. (I have
> FlightSimulator stored on it as well as many video and MP3 files)
>
> --
> HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
>
> jel183(UK)
>

> "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> > (Second posting due to the last message gradually being lost in the depths
> > of time)
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I have 3 questions regarding The Maxtor OneTouch 7200RPM 300GB Hard Drive.
> >
> > Is it possible to watch video files (DivX movies for example) directly
> > from
> > the external HD?
> >
> > Can I share the content of the external drive on peer2peer (WinMX for
> > example) as I can with my internal HD's?
> >
> > Would you recommend I buy a USB2 card or firewire 400 card to run the
> > external HD? (Iv read on many sites that firewire 400 is actualy faster
> > than
> > USB2 in tests)
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can give me.

I don't use the 'one touch' function - just as an additional HDD ... the
use of firewire is because I dont have any free USB2 ports and I dont want
the hassel of a hub.... when I bought it I just plugged it in and the
laptop found it straight away - the only thing is make sure the maxtor is
turned on before you boot up your PC

--

> Hi jel183
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Your information has been very valuable, and I am almost convinced this is
> the HD for me!
>
> "jel183(UK)" wrote:
>
>> I am using a Maxtor 7200 160GB One Touch Ext HDD connected to my laptop
>> by
>> firewire and shared on my home network - no problems whatsoever - you
>> would
>> not know from the performance that it was an external HDD. (I have
>> FlightSimulator stored on it as well as many video and MP3 files)
>>
>> --
>> HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
>>
>> jel183(UK)
>>

>> "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > (Second posting due to the last message gradually being lost in the
>> > depths
>> > of time)
>> >
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have 3 questions regarding The Maxtor OneTouch 7200RPM 300GB Hard
>> > Drive.
>> >
>> > Is it possible to watch video files (DivX movies for example) directly
>> > from
>> > the external HD?
>> >
>> > Can I share the content of the external drive on peer2peer (WinMX for
>> > example) as I can with my internal HD's?
>> >
>> > Would you recommend I buy a USB2 card or firewire 400 card to run the
>> > external HD? (Iv read on many sites that firewire 400 is actualy faster
>> > than
>> > USB2 in tests)
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help you can give me.

........nly thing was I had to buy a 6 > 4 pin firewire cable to fit my
laptop 4 pin firewire port - it only comes with a USB & 6 > 6 firewire
cables

--

"jel183(UK)" <nospam@myhome.com> wrote in message
>I don't use the 'one touch' function - just as an additional HDD ... the
>use of firewire is because I dont have any free USB2 ports and I dont want
>the hassel of a hub.... when I bought it I just plugged it in and the
>laptop found it straight away - the only thing is make sure the maxtor is
>turned on before you boot up your PC
>
> --
> HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
>
> jel183(UK)
> "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi jel183
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> Your information has been very valuable, and I am almost convinced this
>> is
>> the HD for me!
>>
>> "jel183(UK)" wrote:
>>
>>> I am using a Maxtor 7200 160GB One Touch Ext HDD connected to my laptop
>>> by
>>> firewire and shared on my home network - no problems whatsoever - you
>>> would
>>> not know from the performance that it was an external HDD. (I have
>>> FlightSimulator stored on it as well as many video and MP3 files)
>>>
>>> --
>>> HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
>>>
>>> jel183(UK)
>>>

>>> "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Shane

That shouldnt be a problem!
My PC has neither USB2 or Firewire ports, but I am planning on buying a
Firewire card when I buy the drive.

Incidentily, firewire 400 (400mbps) is better than USB2 (480mbps). Firewire
is faster and uses less CPU %) see here -->
http://www.firewire-1394.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm

Intersting article... thanks

--

> That shouldnt be a problem!
> My PC has neither USB2 or Firewire ports, but I am planning on buying a
> Firewire card when I buy the drive.
>
> Incidentily, firewire 400 (400mbps) is better than USB2 (480mbps).
> Firewire
> is faster and uses less CPU %) see here -->
> http://www.firewire-1394.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm
>

> "jel183(UK)" wrote:
>
>> ........nly thing was I had to buy a 6 > 4 pin firewire cable to fit my
>> laptop 4 pin firewire port - it only comes with a USB & 6 > 6 firewire
>> cables
>>
>> --
>> HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
>>
>> jel183(UK)
>> "jel183(UK)" <nospam@myhome.com> wrote in message
>> >I don't use the 'one touch' function - just as an additional HDD ...
>> >the
>> >use of firewire is because I dont have any free USB2 ports and I dont
>> >want
>> >the hassel of a hub.... when I bought it I just plugged it in and the
>> >laptop found it straight away - the only thing is make sure the maxtor
>> >is
>> >turned on before you boot up your PC
>> >
>> > --
>> > HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
>> >
>> > jel183(UK)
>> > "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

We use a Maxtor One Touch 5400 RPM 300GB HD.
I've had issues writing to it accross the network.
I find this awkward since the security is set to allow all users full
control. And, i've reformatted the drive from a FAT32 to NTFS.
I'm in the process of installing a Version Control System here in the
office, and would like to use the HD to store the repositories.
Kind of lost:
Anny suggestions much appreciated.