OneTouch hard drive enquiry

Hello

(Second posting due to the last message gradually being lost in the depths
of time)

Hi

I have 3 questions regarding The Maxtor OneTouch 7200RPM 300GB Hard Drive.

Is it possible to watch video files (DivX movies for example) directly from
the external HD?

Can I share the content of the external drive on peer2peer (WinMX for
example) as I can with my internal HD's?

Would you recommend I buy a USB2 card or firewire 400 card to run the
external HD? (Iv read on many sites that firewire 400 is actualy faster than
USB2 in tests)

Thanks for any help you can give me.
7 answers Last reply
More about onetouch hard drive enquiry

    I am using a Maxtor 7200 160GB One Touch Ext HDD connected to my laptop by
    firewire and shared on my home network - no problems whatsoever - you would
    not know from the performance that it was an external HDD. (I have
    FlightSimulator stored on it as well as many video and MP3 files)

    --
    HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only

    jel183(UK)

    "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > (Second posting due to the last message gradually being lost in the depths
    > of time)
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > I have 3 questions regarding The Maxtor OneTouch 7200RPM 300GB Hard Drive.
    >
    > Is it possible to watch video files (DivX movies for example) directly
    > from
    > the external HD?
    >
    > Can I share the content of the external drive on peer2peer (WinMX for
    > example) as I can with my internal HD's?
    >
    > Would you recommend I buy a USB2 card or firewire 400 card to run the
    > external HD? (Iv read on many sites that firewire 400 is actualy faster
    > than
    > USB2 in tests)
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give me.

    Hi jel183

    Thanks for your reply.

    Your information has been very valuable, and I am almost convinced this is
    the HD for me!

    "jel183(UK)" wrote:

    > I am using a Maxtor 7200 160GB One Touch Ext HDD connected to my laptop by
    > firewire and shared on my home network - no problems whatsoever - you would
    > not know from the performance that it was an external HDD. (I have
    > FlightSimulator stored on it as well as many video and MP3 files)
    >
    > --
    > HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
    >
    > jel183(UK)
    >

    > "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > (Second posting due to the last message gradually being lost in the depths
    > > of time)
    > >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I have 3 questions regarding The Maxtor OneTouch 7200RPM 300GB Hard Drive.
    > >
    > > Is it possible to watch video files (DivX movies for example) directly
    > > from
    > > the external HD?
    > >
    > > Can I share the content of the external drive on peer2peer (WinMX for
    > > example) as I can with my internal HD's?
    > >
    > > Would you recommend I buy a USB2 card or firewire 400 card to run the
    > > external HD? (Iv read on many sites that firewire 400 is actualy faster
    > > than
    > > USB2 in tests)
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help you can give me.

    I don't use the 'one touch' function - just as an additional HDD ... the
    use of firewire is because I dont have any free USB2 ports and I dont want
    the hassel of a hub.... when I bought it I just plugged it in and the
    laptop found it straight away - the only thing is make sure the maxtor is
    turned on before you boot up your PC

    --

    > Hi jel183
    >
    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > Your information has been very valuable, and I am almost convinced this is
    > the HD for me!
    >
    > "jel183(UK)" wrote:
    >
    >> I am using a Maxtor 7200 160GB One Touch Ext HDD connected to my laptop
    >> by
    >> firewire and shared on my home network - no problems whatsoever - you
    >> would
    >> not know from the performance that it was an external HDD. (I have
    >> FlightSimulator stored on it as well as many video and MP3 files)
    >>
    >> --
    >> HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
    >>
    >> jel183(UK)
    >>

    >> "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello
    >> >
    >> > (Second posting due to the last message gradually being lost in the
    >> > depths
    >> > of time)
    >> >
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > I have 3 questions regarding The Maxtor OneTouch 7200RPM 300GB Hard
    >> > Drive.
    >> >
    >> > Is it possible to watch video files (DivX movies for example) directly
    >> > from
    >> > the external HD?
    >> >
    >> > Can I share the content of the external drive on peer2peer (WinMX for
    >> > example) as I can with my internal HD's?
    >> >
    >> > Would you recommend I buy a USB2 card or firewire 400 card to run the
    >> > external HD? (Iv read on many sites that firewire 400 is actualy faster
    >> > than
    >> > USB2 in tests)
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for any help you can give me.

    ........nly thing was I had to buy a 6 > 4 pin firewire cable to fit my
    laptop 4 pin firewire port - it only comes with a USB & 6 > 6 firewire
    cables

    --

    "jel183(UK)" <nospam@myhome.com> wrote in message
    >I don't use the 'one touch' function - just as an additional HDD ... the
    >use of firewire is because I dont have any free USB2 ports and I dont want
    >the hassel of a hub.... when I bought it I just plugged it in and the
    >laptop found it straight away - the only thing is make sure the maxtor is
    >turned on before you boot up your PC
    >
    > --
    > HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
    >
    > jel183(UK)
    > "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi jel183
    >>
    >> Thanks for your reply.
    >>
    >> Your information has been very valuable, and I am almost convinced this
    >> is
    >> the HD for me!
    >>
    >> "jel183(UK)" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am using a Maxtor 7200 160GB One Touch Ext HDD connected to my laptop
    >>> by
    >>> firewire and shared on my home network - no problems whatsoever - you
    >>> would
    >>> not know from the performance that it was an external HDD. (I have
    >>> FlightSimulator stored on it as well as many video and MP3 files)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
    >>>
    >>> jel183(UK)
    >>>

    >>> "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    That shouldnt be a problem!
    My PC has neither USB2 or Firewire ports, but I am planning on buying a
    Firewire card when I buy the drive.

    Incidentily, firewire 400 (400mbps) is better than USB2 (480mbps). Firewire
    is faster and uses less CPU %) see here -->
    http://www.firewire-1394.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm

    Intersting article... thanks

    --

    > That shouldnt be a problem!
    > My PC has neither USB2 or Firewire ports, but I am planning on buying a
    > Firewire card when I buy the drive.
    >
    > Incidentily, firewire 400 (400mbps) is better than USB2 (480mbps).
    > Firewire
    > is faster and uses less CPU %) see here -->
    > http://www.firewire-1394.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm
    >

    > "jel183(UK)" wrote:
    >
    >> ........nly thing was I had to buy a 6 > 4 pin firewire cable to fit my
    >> laptop 4 pin firewire port - it only comes with a USB & 6 > 6 firewire
    >> cables
    >>
    >> --
    >> HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
    >>
    >> jel183(UK)
    >> "jel183(UK)" <nospam@myhome.com> wrote in message
    >> >I don't use the 'one touch' function - just as an additional HDD ...
    >> >the
    >> >use of firewire is because I dont have any free USB2 ports and I dont
    >> >want
    >> >the hassel of a hub.... when I bought it I just plugged it in and the
    >> >laptop found it straight away - the only thing is make sure the maxtor
    >> >is
    >> >turned on before you boot up your PC
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
    >> >
    >> > jel183(UK)
    >> > "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    We use a Maxtor One Touch 5400 RPM 300GB HD.
    I've had issues writing to it accross the network.
    I find this awkward since the security is set to allow all users full
    control. And, i've reformatted the drive from a FAT32 to NTFS.
    I'm in the process of installing a Version Control System here in the
    office, and would like to use the HD to store the repositories.
    Kind of lost:
    Anny suggestions much appreciated.

    "Shane" wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > (Second posting due to the last message gradually being lost in the depths
    > of time)
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > I have 3 questions regarding The Maxtor OneTouch 7200RPM 300GB Hard Drive.
    >
    > Is it possible to watch video files (DivX movies for example) directly from
    > the external HD?
    >
    > Can I share the content of the external drive on peer2peer (WinMX for
    > example) as I can with my internal HD's?
    >
    > Would you recommend I buy a USB2 card or firewire 400 card to run the
    > external HD? (Iv read on many sites that firewire 400 is actualy faster than
    > USB2 in tests)
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hard Drives HD Windows XP