Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

use Sata drive as slave with IDE as master

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 4:03:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hello Users ....I have an 160 Gb wD hardrive set to master on my Asus P4p800e
deluxe mother.....I would like to know If I could add an extra hardrive sata
as a slave...The reason for this is becuase I want to keep diffrent files in
here...But I don' know id this could be done...Do I need to dual Boot and
install the same Operating system in the Sata...I know my motherboard
supports sata Ide and Raid disks...and if its not possible ...Can you tell me
another way to add a second drive without dual booting,...I just want my
drive to appear in my computer so I could save different files
there.....thanks for your support..

asus p4p800e deluxe.
pc 3200 512mb
pc 3200 512 mb ( dual Channel )
Intel p4 2.8 ghz o'c to 3.08 ghz
Dvd rw set to master
Cdrw set to slave.

More about : sata drive slave ide master

Anonymous
November 26, 2004 5:59:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

If you just want to use your SATA drive for different files and the like,
then just hook it up to your motherboard. As far as I know, it isn't possible
to set your SATA drive as the slave to you 160GB IDE. Is your 160GB an IDE
drive? If so, then no. If it is a SATA drive, then that might be possible.
(I'm not sure) I don't believe there is such a thing as Master & Slave with
SATA. In fact, in my experience, Master & Slave settings don't matter at all,
even with an IDE interface. (But I have been referred to as "Dumbass" on
several occasions) :]
Your SATA drive should work regardless. Just assign a drive letter to it and
you'll be in good shape.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 8:25:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

hey thanks....but that means I need to reinstall my O.S. to the sata and use
Dual Boot ?.....can I always use my IDE wd 160Gb and have my sata on my
computer to save files ....?


"CompuStooge" wrote:

> If you just want to use your SATA drive for different files and the like,
> then just hook it up to your motherboard. As far as I know, it isn't possible
> to set your SATA drive as the slave to you 160GB IDE. Is your 160GB an IDE
> drive? If so, then no. If it is a SATA drive, then that might be possible.
> (I'm not sure) I don't believe there is such a thing as Master & Slave with
> SATA. In fact, in my experience, Master & Slave settings don't matter at all,
> even with an IDE interface. (But I have been referred to as "Dumbass" on
> several occasions) :]
> Your SATA drive should work regardless. Just assign a drive letter to it and
> you'll be in good shape.
Related resources
November 26, 2004 9:47:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

No dual boot............you just need to hook the SATA drive up since it uses a
different controller than the IDE drive you presently have you do not need to
worry about it being slave or master.But you do need to check your MOBO specs
and your Bios settings because in some instances the presence of a SATA drive
overrides the IDE drive and it becomes the only bootable drive.In your BIOS you
need to make sure that your IDE HD is set us the 1st boot device.Once the SATA
is installed you will also need to go into Administrative Tools/computer
management and format the drive so that you can use it.
good luck
peter
"alwin J.C" <alwinJC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C89EE38E-E86A-436D-A09B-029B8D8A7EDE@microsoft.com...
> hey thanks....but that means I need to reinstall my O.S. to the sata and use
> Dual Boot ?.....can I always use my IDE wd 160Gb and have my sata on my
> computer to save files ....?
>
>
> "CompuStooge" wrote:
>
>> If you just want to use your SATA drive for different files and the like,
>> then just hook it up to your motherboard. As far as I know, it isn't possible
>> to set your SATA drive as the slave to you 160GB IDE. Is your 160GB an IDE
>> drive? If so, then no. If it is a SATA drive, then that might be possible.
>> (I'm not sure) I don't believe there is such a thing as Master & Slave with
>> SATA. In fact, in my experience, Master & Slave settings don't matter at all,
>> even with an IDE interface. (But I have been referred to as "Dumbass" on
>> several occasions) :]
>> Your SATA drive should work regardless. Just assign a drive letter to it and
>> you'll be in good shape.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 4:25:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

For the P4P800 series, you are going to enter the BIOS, check under the
IDE settings on the very first page. Make sure you enable both
SATA+PATA. Then check and make sure both drives are seen (order of IDE
channels does not matter). Finally, check your boot order to make sure
it is booting off the correct HD. Don't forget, you can always use F8
to pull up the option to boot off any supported medium connected to the
computer ;) 

-----
Nathan McNulty
Swap gmail with name for email :) 

peter wrote:
> No dual boot............you just need to hook the SATA drive up since it uses a
> different controller than the IDE drive you presently have you do not need to
> worry about it being slave or master.But you do need to check your MOBO specs
> and your Bios settings because in some instances the presence of a SATA drive
> overrides the IDE drive and it becomes the only bootable drive.In your BIOS you
> need to make sure that your IDE HD is set us the 1st boot device.Once the SATA
> is installed you will also need to go into Administrative Tools/computer
> management and format the drive so that you can use it.
> good luck
> peter
> "alwin J.C" <alwinJC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C89EE38E-E86A-436D-A09B-029B8D8A7EDE@microsoft.com...
>
>>hey thanks....but that means I need to reinstall my O.S. to the sata and use
>>Dual Boot ?.....can I always use my IDE wd 160Gb and have my sata on my
>>computer to save files ....?
>>
>>
>>"CompuStooge" wrote:
>>
>>
>>>If you just want to use your SATA drive for different files and the like,
>>>then just hook it up to your motherboard. As far as I know, it isn't possible
>>>to set your SATA drive as the slave to you 160GB IDE. Is your 160GB an IDE
>>>drive? If so, then no. If it is a SATA drive, then that might be possible.
>>>(I'm not sure) I don't believe there is such a thing as Master & Slave with
>>>SATA. In fact, in my experience, Master & Slave settings don't matter at all,
>>>even with an IDE interface. (But I have been referred to as "Dumbass" on
>>>several occasions) :]
>>>Your SATA drive should work regardless. Just assign a drive letter to it and
>>>you'll be in good shape.
>
>
>
February 25, 2009 1:38:04 PM

I have this MOBO also and I actually want to set IDE as secondary Hdd, setting through BIOS setup or making IDE as Master or slave or no jumper at all, doesn't work. If I have IDE connected no matter how the setup is, it always want to read IDE first, since I don't have any OS on IDE, it never goes to SATA..

Does anyone have any solution for this?
February 25, 2009 1:52:49 PM

Then the IDE HDD is set as the first priority boot HDD, change it to the SATA HDD in the CMOS setup.


Or press F8 while booting to see if you get a HDD boot choice menu.
February 25, 2009 1:55:57 PM

CMOS setting doesn't change this, I tried to set SATA as boot drive, but system always want to read IDE first.
March 4, 2010 2:12:01 AM

You need to remove the ide drive from the Boot devices in CMOS.
!