New K8NS Pro motherboard won't boot to windows

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2004 6:06:00 PM

Im upgrading a system from AMD 1.4 Asus board to AMD 64 and K8NS Pro
motherboard.
2 IDE harddrives Non-raid(IDE1 slot) with windows xp already
installed; 1 DVD R/W, 1 CDROM (IDE2 slot). Did the OPtimized setup
save.

System starts booting OK. Initially it lists all the IDE devices
correctly but then gets to gigraid screen says "Doing IDE scan" and
fails to find any devices. I am not setup as raid so I know it
shouldnt be doing this.

It then can't boot to windows.

I know the devices and cables are OK. I see the power lites go on for
the devices. I have triple checked all plugs. The drives were
working/booting an hour before I took out the old board.

I figure there is some bios harddrive configuration I need to do. But
I cant find anything in the manual or at the website on how to fix
this.

When I go into the Bios setup screen it correctly shows the IDE
devices.

So I guess its default configured to use raid? Tried turning OFF
gigraid but this didnt work. Tried turning On IDE raid but this didnt
work.

ideas on how to fix this?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2004 1:51:11 AM

"Tex Tech" <maxmar91@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Im upgrading a system from AMD 1.4 Asus board to AMD 64 and K8NS Pro
> motherboard.
> 2 IDE harddrives Non-raid(IDE1 slot) with windows xp already
> installed; 1 DVD R/W, 1 CDROM (IDE2 slot). Did the OPtimized setup
> save.
>
> System starts booting OK. Initially it lists all the IDE devices
> correctly but then gets to gigraid screen says "Doing IDE scan" and
> fails to find any devices. I am not setup as raid so I know it
> shouldnt be doing this.
>
> It then can't boot to windows.
>
> I know the devices and cables are OK. I see the power lites go on for
> the devices. I have triple checked all plugs. The drives were
> working/booting an hour before I took out the old board.
>
> I figure there is some bios harddrive configuration I need to do. But
> I cant find anything in the manual or at the website on how to fix
> this.
>
> When I go into the Bios setup screen it correctly shows the IDE
> devices.
>
> So I guess its default configured to use raid? Tried turning OFF
> gigraid but this didnt work. Tried turning On IDE raid but this didnt
> work.
>
> ideas on how to fix this?

In 'Integrated Peripherals' disable "Onboard Serial ATA" and "Onboard
Giga_RAID"
JPS
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2004 9:34:13 PM

For anyone else with this problem, heres the solution:

1. turn off both raids in bios menus
2. in bios change CDROM to make it come before hddisk in boot sequence
3. reboot with Windows cd in cdrom
4. Do a REPAIR INSTALL of windows (searhc web or procedure)
5. reinstall all drivers as needed
!