8KNXP and WinXP Service Pack 2 Problem

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

After installing SP-2 on my Rev 0 board (bios F6) the
thing won't powerdown. WinXP shuts down okay, then
the computer hangs at a black screen and will not power
down...the power supply keeps running. The problem is
due to Adv Config Power Interface (ACPI) not being
loaded by default (and I don't know how to load it either).
I have to hold the power button to get it to shutdown.

It's important to note (according to gurus) that this is a
powerdown problem, not a winxp shutdown problem.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.

I would highly recommend updating to the F10 bios. Many people on
this newsgroup (including myself) have experienced general instability
in BIOSs F3 through (roughly) F9. ;)

On the other hand, I've been running F10 for months, and it's been
quite stable.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8KNXP.htm

Kris

> After installing SP-2 on my Rev 0 board (bios F6) the
> thing won't powerdown. WinXP shuts down okay, then
> the computer hangs at a black screen and will not power
> down...the power supply keeps running. The problem is
> due to Adv Config Power Interface (ACPI) not being
> loaded by default (and I don't know how to load it either).
> I have to hold the power button to get it to shutdown.
>
> It's important to note (according to gurus) that this is a
> powerdown problem, not a winxp shutdown problem.
> Any ideas greatly appreciated.

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

Thanks for the info. Does F10 have an ACPI option? I don't see
any such an option in F8, and F6 didn't have it.