Where to download 7n400 Pro2 latest BIOS?

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

As header, the Gigabyte website seems to be worse than useless with
lots of broken links and 404 errors. I can't find a site that hosts
the files themselves, they usually link to the (non-existant) Gigabyte
site.

I built my system yesterday using this motherboard. Solved the usual
problems (thanks to this NG); CLK_SW set to AUTO (this is supposed to
be the default, how come everyone's boards are set to 100MHz?) & FSB
set to 166MHz in the BIOS to identify my XP2800+ (Barton) correctly.

Also had a problem getting the system to boot with two HDD's on IDE3,
but it was because I assumed setting the GIGARaid controller to
function as ATA would be the way forward, rather than setting it to
function as RAID then setting RAID configuration to 'Normal' which
fixed it.

I'm running a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card and 1GB of
Kingston Memory (2 x matched 512MB modules running in Dual Channel
mode) along with a Pioneer DVD-107 on IDE2 and two more HDD's on IDE1.

I've just installed Windows2000 professional since things started
working properly. Would those in the know suggest updating the BIOS?
Not sure what version it is running, but it was fresh out of the box
yesterday so I guess whatever version the board ships with. I'm
usually of the opinion, if it ain't broke don't fix it but I haven't
really started pushing the system yet to see if it is 'broke'.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dan

"Dan" <djbenz_uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> As header, the Gigabyte website seems to be worse than useless with
> lots of broken links and 404 errors. I can't find a site that hosts
> the files themselves, they usually link to the (non-existant) Gigabyte
> site.
>
> I built my system yesterday using this motherboard. Solved the usual
> problems (thanks to this NG); CLK_SW set to AUTO (this is supposed to
> be the default, how come everyone's boards are set to 100MHz?) & FSB
> set to 166MHz in the BIOS to identify my XP2800+ (Barton) correctly.
>
> Also had a problem getting the system to boot with two HDD's on IDE3,
> but it was because I assumed setting the GIGARaid controller to
> function as ATA would be the way forward, rather than setting it to
> function as RAID then setting RAID configuration to 'Normal' which
> fixed it.
>
> I'm running a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card and 1GB of
> Kingston Memory (2 x matched 512MB modules running in Dual Channel
> mode) along with a Pioneer DVD-107 on IDE2 and two more HDD's on IDE1.
>
> I've just installed Windows2000 professional since things started
> working properly. Would those in the know suggest updating the BIOS?
> Not sure what version it is running, but it was fresh out of the box
> yesterday so I guess whatever version the board ships with. I'm
> usually of the opinion, if it ain't broke don't fix it but I haven't
> really started pushing the system yet to see if it is 'broke'.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Dan

support page for 7n400 pro2 (rev.1) is here

http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7N400%20Pro2.htm

latest bios is on there F11 dated 2nd August 2004

HTH

Mal

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Mal" <mincer2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<4119e741$0$20250$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>...
> support page for 7n400 pro2 (rev.1) is here
>
> http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7N400%20Pro2.htm
>
> latest bios is on there F11 dated 2nd August 2004
>
> HTH
>
> Mal

Thanks Mal. I'd been connecting to the Taiwan site which is awful,
thankfully the UK site is much nicer.

A couple of things :

Is it worth updating the BIOS?
Is there a surefire way to tell if the board is Rev1 or Rev2?

Thanks again,

> "Mal" <mincer2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > support page for 7n400 pro2 (rev.1) is here

http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7N400%20Pro2.htm

> > latest bios is on there F11 dated 2nd August 2004
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Mal
>
> Thanks Mal. I'd been connecting to the Taiwan site which is awful,
> thankfully the UK site is much nicer.
>
> A couple of things :
>
> Is it worth updating the BIOS?
> Is there a surefire way to tell if the board is Rev1 or Rev2?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Dan

Hello Dan,
The revision is printed on the board near one of the corners. I can't
remember which one at the moment. I got my board a month ago, Pro2 rev.2. I
flashed the bios at that time just to head off any problems. The bios
software on the Gigabyte disc worked great. I think it's called @bios.

Have fun. It's a great board.
-Bill

"Dan" <djbenz_uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> As header, the Gigabyte website seems to be worse than useless with
> lots of broken links and 404 errors. I can't find a site that hosts
> the files themselves, they usually link to the (non-existant) Gigabyte
> site.
>
> I built my system yesterday using this motherboard. Solved the usual
> problems (thanks to this NG); CLK_SW set to AUTO (this is supposed to
> be the default, how come everyone's boards are set to 100MHz?) & FSB
> set to 166MHz in the BIOS to identify my XP2800+ (Barton) correctly.
>
> Also had a problem getting the system to boot with two HDD's on IDE3,
> but it was because I assumed setting the GIGARaid controller to
> function as ATA would be the way forward, rather than setting it to
> function as RAID then setting RAID configuration to 'Normal' which
> fixed it.
>
> I'm running a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card and 1GB of
> Kingston Memory (2 x matched 512MB modules running in Dual Channel
> mode) along with a Pioneer DVD-107 on IDE2 and two more HDD's on IDE1.
>
> I've just installed Windows2000 professional since things started
> working properly. Would those in the know suggest updating the BIOS?
> Not sure what version it is running, but it was fresh out of the box
> yesterday so I guess whatever version the board ships with. I'm
> usually of the opinion, if it ain't broke don't fix it but I haven't
> really started pushing the system yet to see if it is 'broke'.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Dan

http://tw.giga-byte.com/ is a very well done site. It is fast and easly
navigated and well up-dated.

If there is a problem, it is yours.
HG

On start up of your computer it will either show you F and a letter for the
bios version for Rev. 2
or F and a Number for the Rev. 1.
My Rev.2 board currently got the FF bios version.
The latest Bios for a Rev.1 is F10
Hope this helpes
"Bill-kb3gun" <kb3gun-spam@wpia.net> wrote in message

> "Dan" <djbenz_uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "Mal" <mincer2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > support page for 7n400 pro2 (rev.1) is here
> > >

> http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7N400%20Pro2.htm
> > >
> > > latest bios is on there F11 dated 2nd August 2004
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Mal
> >
> > Thanks Mal. I'd been connecting to the Taiwan site which is awful,
> > thankfully the UK site is much nicer.
> >
> > A couple of things :
> >
> > Is it worth updating the BIOS?
> > Is there a surefire way to tell if the board is Rev1 or Rev2?
> >
> > Thanks again,
> >
> > Dan
>
> Hello Dan,
> The revision is printed on the board near one of the corners. I can't
> remember which one at the moment. I got my board a month ago, Pro2 rev.2.
> flashed the bios at that time just to head off any problems. The bios
> software on the Gigabyte disc worked great. I think it's called @bios.
>
> Have fun. It's a great board.
> -Bill

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"henny" <henrygiii@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<0QnSc.236404$a24.59082@attbi_s03>...
> If there is a problem, it is yours.

You're right, it was my firewall that was blocking the site for some
reason.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

@Bill - I used the @BIOS software to flash to the latest level (FH)
and it worked a treat. The board was shipped with FB level bios
(initial release) so I think it was definitely worth the upgrade.

@Achim - Double letter shown at startup so I've got a Rev 2 board. The
latest level BIOS at the Gigabyte site is FH if you want another
upgrade!

I tried out 3DMark 2003 on the system last night and got a score of
5567 (not overclocked at all) so now I need to find out if that's a
decent score or not!

Thanks again everyone, this NG is a great resource for help on this
motherboard.

Dan