New Ext HDD No Drive Assigned

OS: WinXP
Connected a New External Hard Disk: Maxtor 160GB 6Y160P0 7200/8MB, USB2.0,
but i cannot find it in the Windows Explorer, No drive letter was assigned to
the new HDD. Have checked Device Manager, the message window indicates that
it is working properly, the Hardware icon at the lower right corner of the
monitor also indicates a USB Mass Storage Device has been detected. How do i
assign a drive letter to it? Isn't WinXP supposed to auto-assign a new drive
letter to any newly Hardware?

Please Help, coz my internal hard disk won't be able to hold all my files
any longer.

thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about drive assigned

    Hi,

    Right click MY Computer/Manage/Disk Management,
    In the lower right pane, you should see the USB mass Storage device.
    Right click on it and select initialize drive, assign a drive letter and
    then partition and format the drive.

    Hope it helps.

    Peter

    "Maxtor Ext HDD, no drive letter assigned" wrote:

    > OS: WinXP
    > Connected a New External Hard Disk: Maxtor 160GB 6Y160P0 7200/8MB, USB2.0,
    > but i cannot find it in the Windows Explorer, No drive letter was assigned to
    > the new HDD. Have checked Device Manager, the message window indicates that
    > it is working properly, the Hardware icon at the lower right corner of the
    > monitor also indicates a USB Mass Storage Device has been detected. How do i
    > assign a drive letter to it? Isn't WinXP supposed to auto-assign a new drive
    > letter to any newly Hardware?
    >
    > Please Help, coz my internal hard disk won't be able to hold all my files
    > any longer.
    >
    > thanks

    Tks for the advice. Have tried that lots of times, but after reaching 100%
    formatting, a warning message appears "The formatting was not completely
    successfully".

    Took it to the store where i bought the storage box, same thing happened.
    But when they used Partition Magic to format, it was ok. Then they tried
    using the WinXP Disk Mgt again, this time it was ok.

    As for the store where i bought the HDD, I was told that i should go to
    MS-DOS to format. (Can't understand how, not very helpful coz' it's not
    their responsibility)

    But back at home, when i tried using Win Disk Mgt to format again, the same
    warning message appears again. So, my Maxtor HDD is still unusable. Any
    other suggestion?

    I'm thinking of buying Partition Magic software just to format/partition.

    Anymore help out there?

    "Peter" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Right click MY Computer/Manage/Disk Management,
    > In the lower right pane, you should see the USB mass Storage device.
    > Right click on it and select initialize drive, assign a drive letter and
    > then partition and format the drive.
    >
    > Hope it helps.
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > "Maxtor Ext HDD, no drive letter assigned" wrote:
    >
    > > OS: WinXP
    > > Connected a New External Hard Disk: Maxtor 160GB 6Y160P0 7200/8MB, USB2.0,
    > > but i cannot find it in the Windows Explorer, No drive letter was assigned to
    > > the new HDD. Have checked Device Manager, the message window indicates that
    > > it is working properly, the Hardware icon at the lower right corner of the
    > > monitor also indicates a USB Mass Storage Device has been detected. How do i
    > > assign a drive letter to it? Isn't WinXP supposed to auto-assign a new drive
    > > letter to any newly Hardware?
    > >
    > > Please Help, coz my internal hard disk won't be able to hold all my files
    > > any longer.
    > >
    > > thanks

Hardware Hard Drives Windows XP