XP SP2 Crashes on reboot when installed on Maxtor D740X-6L..

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have discovered a problem after a week of trouble shooting. When you
install Windows XP SP2 on a system that uses a Maxtor D740X-6L HDD the PC
will crash on the first reboot after install of XP SP2. I had this problem
on 2 completely different PCs. The first was a Dell Dimension 4500 the other
was a clone PC the only hardware in common was the Maxtor D740X-6L HDD. The
Dell had the 40GB version and the Clone had the 20GB version.
The Systems both would crash with only Windows XP Pro and Windows updates
installed. No other third party software was installed before XP Service
Pack 2. The Dell was able to boot to safe mode only but the Clone was
unrecoverable and would not boot to any available options. After multiple
reinstalls of both PCs I started changing out hardware. Video - Crash,
Memory- Crash, Network Cards - Crash, I even changed the Main board on the
Dell - Crash. After changing the Hard drive on the Dell to a Seagate all was
well! So I tried swapping out the drive in the clone with an old Fujitsu
drive and Hallaleujah it booted! I had previously run chkdsk with a full
scan for bad clusters and both drives came up clean.
So if you plan on installing XP SP2 on your PC and you have a Maxtor
D740X-6L BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID! and BACK UP Everything. Because you will
most likely be reinstalling everything to a new hard drive.

I dought if thats even vaguely related,youre cloned/mirrored os probably was
its fault,as to the other,running CHKDSK C: /R In recovery probably would
fix that.