Lost my wireless connection

lHi,
I have a desktop pc with a netgear dg384 adsl firewall router connected to
it through my LAN port,I am runing aol platinum and XP SP1,My laptop is
already wireless enabled with SP2 and XP, everything was running fine e.g
sharing internet connection and files to and from each machine,but now my
laptop will not connect to the internet through my desktop and does not
recognise my desktop in netwok connections and vice versa, I recently
installed a spyware program and scanned my desktop for spyware, once all
syware was removed it was then when I think I lost my connection,I recently
updated my firmware to version 1.05, but my laptop recognises my home network
in available wireless connections,each desktop and laptop are running on the
same workgroup bot don't recognise each otherin workgroup computers,what have
I done wrong!!!
Any tips would be much appreciated
4 answers Last reply
More about lost wireless connection

    Try this:

    http://65.24.134.81/KipSolutions/WinsockFix/WinsockFix.htm

    --
    HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only

    jel183(UK)

    "Damian2701" <Damian2701@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > lHi,
    > I have a desktop pc with a netgear dg384 adsl firewall router connected to
    > it through my LAN port,I am runing aol platinum and XP SP1,My laptop is
    > already wireless enabled with SP2 and XP, everything was running fine e.g
    > sharing internet connection and files to and from each machine,but now my
    > laptop will not connect to the internet through my desktop and does not
    > recognise my desktop in netwok connections and vice versa, I recently
    > installed a spyware program and scanned my desktop for spyware, once all
    > syware was removed it was then when I think I lost my connection,I
    > recently
    > updated my firmware to version 1.05, but my laptop recognises my home
    > network
    > in available wireless connections,each desktop and laptop are running on
    > the
    > same workgroup bot don't recognise each otherin workgroup computers,what
    > have
    > I done wrong!!!
    > Any tips would be much appreciated

    Hi, many thanks for your help, unfortunately it did not work, its very
    frustrating as all my settings are correct there should be no reason at all
    why my laptop is unable to connect, do you think I should un-install my
    router and start all over again or do you think I shoudn't need to take such
    drastic action,
    regards, Damian

    "jel183(UK)" wrote:

    > Try this:
    >
    > http://65.24.134.81/KipSolutions/WinsockFix/WinsockFix.htm
    >
    > --
    > HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
    >
    > jel183(UK)
    >
    > "Damian2701" <Damian2701@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > lHi,
    > > I have a desktop pc with a netgear dg384 adsl firewall router connected to
    > > it through my LAN port,I am runing aol platinum and XP SP1,My laptop is
    > > already wireless enabled with SP2 and XP, everything was running fine e.g
    > > sharing internet connection and files to and from each machine,but now my
    > > laptop will not connect to the internet through my desktop and does not
    > > recognise my desktop in netwok connections and vice versa, I recently
    > > installed a spyware program and scanned my desktop for spyware, once all
    > > syware was removed it was then when I think I lost my connection,I
    > > recently
    > > updated my firmware to version 1.05, but my laptop recognises my home
    > > network
    > > in available wireless connections,each desktop and laptop are running on
    > > the
    > > same workgroup bot don't recognise each otherin workgroup computers,what
    > > have
    > > I done wrong!!!
    > > Any tips would be much appreciated

    Try a System Restore first (to a time when it worked)...

    --

    > Hi, many thanks for your help, unfortunately it did not work, its very
    > frustrating as all my settings are correct there should be no reason at
    > all
    > why my laptop is unable to connect, do you think I should un-install my
    > router and start all over again or do you think I shoudn't need to take
    > such
    > drastic action,
    > regards, Damian
    >
    > "jel183(UK)" wrote:
    >
    >> Try this:
    >>
    >> http://65.24.134.81/KipSolutions/WinsockFix/WinsockFix.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
    >>
    >> jel183(UK)
    >>
    >> "Damian2701" <Damian2701@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > lHi,
    >> > I have a desktop pc with a netgear dg384 adsl firewall router connected
    >> > it through my LAN port,I am runing aol platinum and XP SP1,My laptop is
    >> > already wireless enabled with SP2 and XP, everything was running fine
    >> > e.g
    >> > sharing internet connection and files to and from each machine,but now
    >> > my
    >> > laptop will not connect to the internet through my desktop and does not
    >> > recognise my desktop in netwok connections and vice versa, I recently
    >> > installed a spyware program and scanned my desktop for spyware, once
    >> > all
    >> > syware was removed it was then when I think I lost my connection,I
    >> > recently
    >> > updated my firmware to version 1.05, but my laptop recognises my home
    >> > network
    >> > in available wireless connections,each desktop and laptop are running
    >> > on
    >> > the
    >> > same workgroup bot don't recognise each otherin workgroup
    >> > computers,what
    >> > have
    >> > I done wrong!!!
    >> > Any tips would be much appreciated

    Aol helpline sorted it out by toggling with a few settings and setting a new
    ssid and wep key so laptop back online,
    cheers for your reply

Wireless Desktops Wireless Networking