installing scanner SCSI card and Serial ATA boot drive is ..

New Computer and I want to use my HP 2cx scanner which works fine with
regular ide drive & XP but in Computer with serial ATA drive the system is
not able to automatically detect the serial ATA hard drive as soon as I
install the Tekram dc-395u/uw SCSI card.

Computer starts, finds the SCSI card goes through SCSI detection screen
finds no bootable drive then stops, asking for bootable CD. It seems the
Serial ATA and SCSI are too similar.

Suggestions, thanks.

Ken
4 answers Last reply
More about installing scanner scsi card serial boot drive

    You need to enable it thru the BIOS,then if youre installing a single drive,
    format and create a primary partition,sometimes the mfg DOS utility will get
    it recognized after and/or it formats it.

    "Ken" wrote:

    > New Computer and I want to use my HP 2cx scanner which works fine with
    > regular ide drive & XP but in Computer with serial ATA drive the system is
    > not able to automatically detect the serial ATA hard drive as soon as I
    > install the Tekram dc-395u/uw SCSI card.
    >
    > Computer starts, finds the SCSI card goes through SCSI detection screen
    > finds no bootable drive then stops, asking for bootable CD. It seems the
    > Serial ATA and SCSI are too similar.
    >
    > Suggestions, thanks.
    >
    > Ken

    > You need to enable it thru the BIOS,then if youre installing a single
    drive,
    > format and create a primary partition,sometimes the mfg DOS utility will get
    > it recognized after and/or it formats it.

    The Serial ATA boot drive came in a factory configured computer and works
    fine until I add my optional Tekram SCSI card which would only be used to run
    a scanner. The machine is at the office so I can't check now but I a think it
    was set to boot as hd0. (and does when no SCSI card is inserted) I do notice
    the back of the SATA Hard Disk has no jumper on it where as a ATA drive
    normally is set to master. However I also don't see the usual markings
    indicating where master would be. I will try and contact the manufacturer of
    computer today if they have weekend support. May also remove drive from
    computer to see if any markings are on it for setting to Master.

    I guess the simple solution is to install a USB2 scanner but I do like the
    current scanner as it handles legal and also has included HP deskscan
    software for converting from bitmap to vector really well and also works
    under Vuescan software for profiling with it8 calibration target.

    Ken

    "Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> You need to enable it thru the BIOS,then if youre installing a single
    > drive,
    >> format and create a primary partition,sometimes the mfg DOS utility will
    >> get
    >> it recognized after and/or it formats it.
    >
    > The Serial ATA boot drive came in a factory configured computer and works
    > fine until I add my optional Tekram SCSI card which would only be used to
    > run
    > a scanner. The machine is at the office so I can't check now but I a think
    > it
    > was set to boot as hd0. (and does when no SCSI card is inserted) I do
    > notice
    > the back of the SATA Hard Disk has no jumper on it where as a ATA drive
    > normally is set to master. However I also don't see the usual markings
    > indicating where master would be. I will try and contact the manufacturer
    > of
    > computer today if they have weekend support. May also remove drive from
    > computer to see if any markings are on it for setting to Master.
    >
    > I guess the simple solution is to install a USB2 scanner but I do like the
    > current scanner as it handles legal and also has included HP deskscan
    > software for converting from bitmap to vector really well and also works
    > under Vuescan software for profiling with it8 calibration target.
    >
    > Ken

    SATA doesn't have master and slave, so don't bother looking. You can only
    have one per cable, so there's no need for master/slave configurations.

    It may be that your SCSI card has its own bios that needs to be set. Mine
    has settings that will allow it to be used to boot or not. To change it, on
    mine at least, there's a message at startup that says press <somekey> for
    SCSI configuration. Offhand I don't remember what key it is, but yours is
    probably different.

    Also, make sure your bios is set correctly.

    You may have the IRQs in conflict. Both the SATA and SCSI adapter should
    have their own IRQs.

    > New Computer and I want to use my HP 2cx scanner which works fine with
    > regular ide drive & XP but in Computer with serial ATA drive the system
    > is
    > not able to automatically detect the serial ATA hard drive as soon as I
    > install the Tekram dc-395u/uw SCSI card.
    >
    > Computer starts, finds the SCSI card goes through SCSI detection screen
    > finds no bootable drive then stops, asking for bootable CD. It seems the
    > Serial ATA and SCSI are too similar.
    >
    > Suggestions, thanks.
    >
    > Ken

SCSI Computers Windows XP