Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

installing scanner SCSI card and Serial ATA boot drive is ..

Tags:
  • SCSI
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
November 28, 2004 12:39:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

New Computer and I want to use my HP 2cx scanner which works fine with
regular ide drive & XP but in Computer with serial ATA drive the system is
not able to automatically detect the serial ATA hard drive as soon as I
install the Tekram dc-395u/uw SCSI card.

Computer starts, finds the SCSI card goes through SCSI detection screen
finds no bootable drive then stops, asking for bootable CD. It seems the
Serial ATA and SCSI are too similar.

Suggestions, thanks.

Ken

More about : installing scanner scsi card serial ata boot drive

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 3:31:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You need to enable it thru the BIOS,then if youre installing a single drive,
format and create a primary partition,sometimes the mfg DOS utility will get
it recognized after and/or it formats it.

"Ken" wrote:

> New Computer and I want to use my HP 2cx scanner which works fine with
> regular ide drive & XP but in Computer with serial ATA drive the system is
> not able to automatically detect the serial ATA hard drive as soon as I
> install the Tekram dc-395u/uw SCSI card.
>
> Computer starts, finds the SCSI card goes through SCSI detection screen
> finds no bootable drive then stops, asking for bootable CD. It seems the
> Serial ATA and SCSI are too similar.
>
> Suggestions, thanks.
>
> Ken
>
>
>
>
November 28, 2004 12:53:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

> You need to enable it thru the BIOS,then if youre installing a single
drive,
> format and create a primary partition,sometimes the mfg DOS utility will get
> it recognized after and/or it formats it.

The Serial ATA boot drive came in a factory configured computer and works
fine until I add my optional Tekram SCSI card which would only be used to run
a scanner. The machine is at the office so I can't check now but I a think it
was set to boot as hd0. (and does when no SCSI card is inserted) I do notice
the back of the SATA Hard Disk has no jumper on it where as a ATA drive
normally is set to master. However I also don't see the usual markings
indicating where master would be. I will try and contact the manufacturer of
computer today if they have weekend support. May also remove drive from
computer to see if any markings are on it for setting to Master.

I guess the simple solution is to install a USB2 scanner but I do like the
current scanner as it handles legal and also has included HP deskscan
software for converting from bitmap to vector really well and also works
under Vuescan software for profiling with it8 calibration target.

Ken
Related resources
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 12:44:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7E66B188-7963-4785-831C-11A83A7DFC06@microsoft.com...
>> You need to enable it thru the BIOS,then if youre installing a single
> drive,
>> format and create a primary partition,sometimes the mfg DOS utility will
>> get
>> it recognized after and/or it formats it.
>
> The Serial ATA boot drive came in a factory configured computer and works
> fine until I add my optional Tekram SCSI card which would only be used to
> run
> a scanner. The machine is at the office so I can't check now but I a think
> it
> was set to boot as hd0. (and does when no SCSI card is inserted) I do
> notice
> the back of the SATA Hard Disk has no jumper on it where as a ATA drive
> normally is set to master. However I also don't see the usual markings
> indicating where master would be. I will try and contact the manufacturer
> of
> computer today if they have weekend support. May also remove drive from
> computer to see if any markings are on it for setting to Master.
>
> I guess the simple solution is to install a USB2 scanner but I do like the
> current scanner as it handles legal and also has included HP deskscan
> software for converting from bitmap to vector really well and also works
> under Vuescan software for profiling with it8 calibration target.
>
> Ken

SATA doesn't have master and slave, so don't bother looking. You can only
have one per cable, so there's no need for master/slave configurations.

It may be that your SCSI card has its own bios that needs to be set. Mine
has settings that will allow it to be used to boot or not. To change it, on
mine at least, there's a message at startup that says press <somekey> for
SCSI configuration. Offhand I don't remember what key it is, but yours is
probably different.

Also, make sure your bios is set correctly.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 12:14:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You may have the IRQs in conflict. Both the SATA and SCSI adapter should
have their own IRQs.


"Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BE606FA1-C562-443D-905E-CB2FD05F5418@microsoft.com...
> New Computer and I want to use my HP 2cx scanner which works fine with
> regular ide drive & XP but in Computer with serial ATA drive the system
> is
> not able to automatically detect the serial ATA hard drive as soon as I
> install the Tekram dc-395u/uw SCSI card.
>
> Computer starts, finds the SCSI card goes through SCSI detection screen
> finds no bootable drive then stops, asking for bootable CD. It seems the
> Serial ATA and SCSI are too similar.
>
> Suggestions, thanks.
>
> Ken
>
>
>
>
!