Serial ATA drivers for windows XP pre SP1

edmckay_doc

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004

Hey,

I just built a new system with an asus A8V-deluxe, AMD 64 bit processor,
Sony ATA DVD/CD/RW, and a serial ATA maxtor 250 gig harddrive. The harddrive
serial ATA controller is part of the chipset on my motherboard.

The hardware is all working just fine. But I need to install windows XP
professional to my new hard drive (it is formatted, partitioned), and my
CD-ROM is pre-SP1. My version of XP apparently doesn't support serial ATA,
so when I boot to the XP CD-ROM and it tries to install, it doesn't recognize
any hard drives and aborts.

You know how during the install you can hit F6 and provide outside
manufacturers drivers for other hardware. I tried that, but don't actually
have the SATA drivers in a format the windows installer will recognize. I'm
currently waiting for ASUS to get back to me in the hopes they can help.

Has anyone encountered this (or a similar) problem? Anyone know where I can
get the required drivers?

Thanks,

edmckay_doc@yahoo.com

You need to partition the 250 gb down to 137gb,then partition the rest,137
is the limitation on size i believe.The xp cd is supportive of SATA or
RAID,it
doesnt need SP1 or 2 to install SATA.Is the drive recognized in the
BIOS.Also,
you dont need to install drivers thru F6,thats only required for a RAID
set.You
can get the info at:http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/
CS-010695.htm Asus uses similiar,for the drivers,go to silicon image home
page,
products,storage,support.Try downloading a DOS utility from the mfg of the
drive,
partition it as to what size is supported.

"edmckay_doc" wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I just built a new system with an asus A8V-deluxe, AMD 64 bit processor,
> Sony ATA DVD/CD/RW, and a serial ATA maxtor 250 gig harddrive. The harddrive
> serial ATA controller is part of the chipset on my motherboard.
>
> The hardware is all working just fine. But I need to install windows XP
> professional to my new hard drive (it is formatted, partitioned), and my
> CD-ROM is pre-SP1. My version of XP apparently doesn't support serial ATA,
> so when I boot to the XP CD-ROM and it tries to install, it doesn't recognize
> any hard drives and aborts.
>
> You know how during the install you can hit F6 and provide outside
> manufacturers drivers for other hardware. I tried that, but don't actually
> have the SATA drivers in a format the windows installer will recognize. I'm
> currently waiting for ASUS to get back to me in the hopes they can help.
>
> Has anyone encountered this (or a similar) problem? Anyone know where I can
> get the required drivers?
>
> Thanks,
>
> edmckay_doc@yahoo.com

Do you have 48 Bit LBA enabled in you bios to support large drives.

"edmckay_doc" <edmckay_doc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey,
>
> I just built a new system with an asus A8V-deluxe, AMD 64 bit processor,
> Sony ATA DVD/CD/RW, and a serial ATA maxtor 250 gig harddrive. The
harddrive
> serial ATA controller is part of the chipset on my motherboard.
>
> The hardware is all working just fine. But I need to install windows XP
> professional to my new hard drive (it is formatted, partitioned), and my
> CD-ROM is pre-SP1. My version of XP apparently doesn't support serial
ATA,
> so when I boot to the XP CD-ROM and it tries to install, it doesn't
recognize
> any hard drives and aborts.
>
> You know how during the install you can hit F6 and provide outside
> manufacturers drivers for other hardware. I tried that, but don't
actually
> have the SATA drivers in a format the windows installer will recognize.
I'm
> currently waiting for ASUS to get back to me in the hopes they can help.
>
> Has anyone encountered this (or a similar) problem? Anyone know where I
can
> get the required drivers?
>
> Thanks,
>
> edmckay_doc@yahoo.com

Hi, firstly a A8V, being a new motherboard, has a 48 bit bios and will see
Hard Drives over 130G without changing any settings. Secondly. I suggest you
read the manual, as in there you will find instruction of how to make a disc
that will contain the necessary drivers. The relevant page is 5.33. I also
suggest that you use the Via raid chip, this will result in quicker boot
times and a faster HD.
Chris C
"Nick Burns" <thedoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you have 48 Bit LBA enabled in you bios to support large drives.
>
> "edmckay_doc" <edmckay_doc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hey,
>>
>> I just built a new system with an asus A8V-deluxe, AMD 64 bit processor,
>> Sony ATA DVD/CD/RW, and a serial ATA maxtor 250 gig harddrive. The
> harddrive
>> serial ATA controller is part of the chipset on my motherboard.
>>
>> The hardware is all working just fine. But I need to install windows XP
>> professional to my new hard drive (it is formatted, partitioned), and my
>> CD-ROM is pre-SP1. My version of XP apparently doesn't support serial
> ATA,
>> so when I boot to the XP CD-ROM and it tries to install, it doesn't
> recognize
>> any hard drives and aborts.
>>
>> You know how during the install you can hit F6 and provide outside
>> manufacturers drivers for other hardware. I tried that, but don't
> actually
>> have the SATA drivers in a format the windows installer will recognize.
> I'm
>> currently waiting for ASUS to get back to me in the hopes they can help.
>>
>> Has anyone encountered this (or a similar) problem? Anyone know where I
> can
>> get the required drivers?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> edmckay_doc@yahoo.com

A limitation of the XP installer is that the SATA (or RAID or SCSI) drivers
must be on a floppy. Nothing else is acceptable. If you do not have a
floppy drive, get one; they are pretty cheap.

In general you can copy the whole SATA driver directory from the motherboard
CD onto a floppy. Be careful not to try just copying the driver files,
although you may be tempted to do that. In the case of my ASUS P4S8X, it
was required that I copy to the root level of the floppy a files called
"OEMSETUP.TXT". The drivers were in subdirectories under that, just like on
th4e ASUS CDROM.

Read the README.TXT file that probably came with the drivers. It might
contain some important info about exactly how to install them. If there is
a newer set of drivers, download those and use them instead.

If you download newer SATA drivers, they may come as a self-expanding
executable. If so, first expand them to disk, then copy the whole expanded
directory structure to a floppy.

Next, since the SATA controller is also a RAID contoller (at least mine is),
I had to make a RAID array before I could use the hard drives (I have two
internal hard drives). The default option (or AUTO) is not what I wanted,
since it either mirrored or stipped them. I had to use the CUSTOM option to
make two, non-connected, RAID arrays. This was required even to have my
partitioning software see the disks. (They were Seaate disks, so I was
using the SeaTools.)

After the RAID arrays were made, the installaion of XP was relatively
simple. Yes, I did have to hit F6 early in the setup and load the SATA
drivers form the floppy.

My disks were only 120 Gig, so the 127 Gig limit (pre SP-1) did not apply,
and I did not need to invoke 48-bit LBA in the XP registry.

Finlly, the Maxtor website might have some FAQs, how-tos, etc that would
help. Afterall, they want you to be able to use their products. You might
also try the Seagate website for general XP and large disk issues.

> You need to partition the 250 gb down to 137gb,then partition the
> rest,137
> is the limitation on size i believe.The xp cd is supportive of SATA or
> RAID,it
> doesnt need SP1 or 2 to install SATA.Is the drive recognized in the
> BIOS.Also,
> you dont need to install drivers thru F6,thats only required for a RAID
> set.

That's completely wrong. If you need drivers for SATA, RAID, or other
devices that aren't supported by the XP CD, you have to install them from a
floppy after pressing F6.

You
> can get the info
> at:http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/
> CS-010695.htm Asus uses similiar,for the drivers,go to silicon image home
> page,
> products,storage,support.Try downloading a DOS utility from the mfg of the
> drive,
> partition it as to what size is supported.
>
> "edmckay_doc" wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I just built a new system with an asus A8V-deluxe, AMD 64 bit processor,
>> Sony ATA DVD/CD/RW, and a serial ATA maxtor 250 gig harddrive. The
>> harddrive
>> serial ATA controller is part of the chipset on my motherboard.
>>
>> The hardware is all working just fine. But I need to install windows XP
>> professional to my new hard drive (it is formatted, partitioned), and my
>> CD-ROM is pre-SP1. My version of XP apparently doesn't support serial
>> ATA,
>> so when I boot to the XP CD-ROM and it tries to install, it doesn't
>> recognize
>> any hard drives and aborts.
>>
>> You know how during the install you can hit F6 and provide outside
>> manufacturers drivers for other hardware. I tried that, but don't
>> actually
>> have the SATA drivers in a format the windows installer will recognize.
>> I'm
>> currently waiting for ASUS to get back to me in the hopes they can help.
>>
>> Has anyone encountered this (or a similar) problem? Anyone know where I
>> can
>> get the required drivers?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> edmckay_doc@yahoo.com

jeff

Had same problem with a different mobo. 2 250GB SATA drives
but WinXP only saw 1 137GB drive. So I created a partition on
that drive, installed WinXP.
Then after I installed SP2 both drives showed up as 250GB.

--
JD

"Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<#4R4h6X1EHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> [...]
> >
> > The hardware is all working just fine. But I need to install windows XP
> > professional to my new hard drive (it is formatted, partitioned), and my
> > CD-ROM is pre-SP1. My version of XP apparently doesn't support serial
> > ATA,
> > so when I boot to the XP CD-ROM and it tries to install, it doesn't
> > recognize
> > any hard drives and aborts.
> >
> > You know how during the install you can hit F6 and provide outside
> > manufacturers drivers for other hardware. I tried that, but don't
> > actually
> > have the SATA drivers in a format the windows installer will recognize.
> > I'm
> > currently waiting for ASUS to get back to me in the hopes they can help.
> >
> > Has anyone encountered this (or a similar) problem? Anyone know where I

When (or if) you get your system up and running, consider making a
slipstreamed CD with XP and SP2..

http://nuhi.msfn.org/

--
Tumppi