Home Network Upgrade...

For some months now I have been experiencing various problems with my home
network:
4x XP (SP2) machines connected via a switch and using 1 of the PC's as a
host for the ADSL ICS.

Most of the problems seem to have been browser and firewall related. Having
read the posts here and followed what seemed to be the general advice I
finally decided to splash out on a wireless ADSL modem/router (with 4 LAN
ports). I wired three of my PC's to the router (the cat5 wiring was already
in place and I couldn't afford three wireless cards as well!) and connected
my laptop via a wireless PC Card.

The setup was quick and easy. The result has been outstanding. All
connections are rock solid, each PC always appears in the Neighbourhood
Places and has never (so far) dropped out, the broadband speeds seem faster.
I can now turn off/reboot what was the host PC without losing the
connection.

The purpose of this post is therefore to say to anyone experiencing browser
or connection issues - if you are not using a router - then get one and save
yourself a whole lot of grief... all I have to do now is save up for a
printer server !!

(I won't disclose the make and model of the router unless someone want's to
know because I don't want someone to spoil it by saying "I would't have got
one of those they are useless" or words to that effect!!)

--
HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only

jel183(UK)

Hi, glad to see you decided to set your network up the easy way and it works
great for you. Why do you want a print server? Just connect it to one of
your desktops and share it as a network computer. The only draw back on that
is the desktop will have to stay on all the time so you can print from the
other computers.

Robert....

"jel183(UK)" <nospam@myhome.com> wrote in message
> For some months now I have been experiencing various problems with my home
> network:
> 4x XP (SP2) machines connected via a switch and using 1 of the PC's as a
> host for the ADSL ICS.
>
> Most of the problems seem to have been browser and firewall related.
> Having
> read the posts here and followed what seemed to be the general advice I
> finally decided to splash out on a wireless ADSL modem/router (with 4 LAN
> ports). I wired three of my PC's to the router (the cat5 wiring was
> already
> in place and I couldn't afford three wireless cards as well!) and
> connected
> my laptop via a wireless PC Card.
>
> The setup was quick and easy. The result has been outstanding. All
> connections are rock solid, each PC always appears in the Neighbourhood
> Places and has never (so far) dropped out, the broadband speeds seem
> faster.
> I can now turn off/reboot what was the host PC without losing the
> connection.
>
> The purpose of this post is therefore to say to anyone experiencing
> browser
> or connection issues - if you are not using a router - then get one and
> save
> yourself a whole lot of grief... all I have to do now is save up for a
> printer server !!
>
> (I won't disclose the make and model of the router unless someone want's
> know because I don't want someone to spoil it by saying "I would't have
> got
> one of those they are useless" or words to that effect!!)
>
> --
> HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
>
> jel183(UK)

I do have the printer 'shared' on what was previously the host PC but I want
to get away from one PC being reliant on another... and in this case for
printing. So any links to cheap printer server suppliers in the UK would be
appreciated!