Puzzle: floppy disk drive memory conflict

Hello all you Windows doctors.
(Windows XP running on pentium 4)
Here are my symptoms.
Windows freezes on the welcome screen with a single beep from the motherboard.
My computer automatically turns itself on again after being turned off.
In control panel, system, there is a problem with the floppy disk drive.
Occasionally I have a message at startup saying there is not enough memory
free. (I have let windows control that automatically though.)

Last time this happened (last time I installed windows on this machine in
fact...) I managed to find an obscure forum posting that solved the problem,
but I can't remember what the solution was. It involved going into the
registry and modifying a single entry concerning the floppy disk drive,
something like changing a zero to a one, and afterwards the problem
completely disappeared.

So my question to you, you wonderful windows puzzle-solvers, should you
choose to accept the chellenge.... What is that single entry that I need to
modify in the registry in order to resolve this conflict?

Thanks for the help
7 answers Last reply
More about puzzle floppy disk drive memory conflict

    It sounds as though you have a problem with the installed
    RAM, failing to work properly or consistently.

    I would open the BIOS and disable the floppy drive, just to
    eliminate that issue temporarily. I would try replacing
    your RAM in order to isolate a bad stick. You can try
    removing all but one stick if you have at least 128 MB
    sticks and booting with one. Then swap each stick to find
    the bad sticks. You can also download a memory testing
    program, http://www.memtest86.com/ [Google for memtest will
    return other hits].

    "marshmallow" <marshmallow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message
    | Hello all you Windows doctors.
    | (Windows XP running on pentium 4)
    | Here are my symptoms.
    | Windows freezes on the welcome screen with a single beep
    from the motherboard.
    | My computer automatically turns itself on again after
    being turned off.
    | In control panel, system, there is a problem with the
    floppy disk drive.
    | Occasionally I have a message at startup saying there is
    not enough memory
    | free. (I have let windows control that automatically
    though.)

    | Last time this happened (last time I installed windows on
    this machine in
    | fact...) I managed to find an obscure forum posting that
    solved the problem,
    | but I can't remember what the solution was. It involved
    going into the
    | registry and modifying a single entry concerning the
    floppy disk drive,
    | something like changing a zero to a one, and afterwards
    the problem
    | completely disappeared.
    |
    | So my question to you, you wonderful windows
    puzzle-solvers, should you
    | choose to accept the chellenge.... What is that single
    entry that I need to
    | modify in the registry in order to resolve this conflict?
    |
    | Thanks for the help

    Thank you very much for the suggestion.

    But as I said in my message, I have already had this problem once, and the
    solution was in the configuration of the floppy in a certain forgotten
    corner of the registry. The problem is absolutely identical to the last time
    too, so I assume the solution will be the same as well.

    I am certain that my RAM is working fine.

    "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> a écrit dans le message
    de news: OZeozvW1EHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > It sounds as though you have a problem with the installed
    > RAM, failing to work properly or consistently.
    >
    > I would open the BIOS and disable the floppy drive, just to
    > eliminate that issue temporarily. I would try replacing
    > your RAM in order to isolate a bad stick. You can try
    > removing all but one stick if you have at least 128 MB
    > sticks and booting with one. Then swap each stick to find
    > the bad sticks. You can also download a memory testing
    > program, http://www.memtest86.com/ [Google for memtest will
    > return other hits].

    > "marshmallow" <marshmallow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > in message
    > | Hello all you Windows doctors.
    > | (Windows XP running on pentium 4)
    > | Here are my symptoms.
    > | Windows freezes on the welcome screen with a single beep
    > from the motherboard.
    > | My computer automatically turns itself on again after
    > being turned off.
    > | In control panel, system, there is a problem with the
    > floppy disk drive.
    > | Occasionally I have a message at startup saying there is
    > not enough memory
    > | free. (I have let windows control that automatically
    > though.)
    > |
    > | Last time this happened (last time I installed windows on
    > this machine in
    > | fact...) I managed to find an obscure forum posting that
    > solved the problem,
    > | but I can't remember what the solution was. It involved
    > going into the
    > | registry and modifying a single entry concerning the
    > floppy disk drive,
    > | something like changing a zero to a one, and afterwards
    > the problem
    > | completely disappeared.
    > |
    > | So my question to you, you wonderful windows
    > puzzle-solvers, should you
    > | choose to accept the chellenge.... What is that single
    > entry that I need to
    > | modify in the registry in order to resolve this conflict?
    > |
    > | Thanks for the help

    If you do find that the trouble is in the RAM and you decide
    to use the Memtest86 program, you will need to re-enable the
    floppy or burn a bootable CD to run the program.

    Personally, I think testing the RAM modules one at a time
    would be a good and easy test. A friend had a similar
    problem when a 256 MB stick went partially bad. RAM is
    cheap these days and if you have a bad stick, a swap with
    good RAM will be fast and positive.

    Until your memory (organic, self-contained) improves, good
    luck.

    "Nice Bear" <nicebear_of_nantes@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:41aa0dc3$0$31694$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...
    | Thank you very much for the suggestion.
    |
    | But as I said in my message, I have already had this
    problem once, and the
    | solution was in the configuration of the floppy in a
    certain forgotten
    | corner of the registry. The problem is absolutely
    identical to the last time
    | too, so I assume the solution will be the same as well.
    |
    | I am certain that my RAM is working fine.
    |

    | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> a
    écrit dans le message
    | de news: OZeozvW1EHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    | > It sounds as though you have a problem with the
    installed
    | > RAM, failing to work properly or consistently.
    | >
    | > I would open the BIOS and disable the floppy drive, just
    | > eliminate that issue temporarily. I would try replacing
    | > your RAM in order to isolate a bad stick. You can try
    | > removing all but one stick if you have at least 128 MB
    | > sticks and booting with one. Then swap each stick to
    find
    | > the bad sticks. You can also download a memory testing
    | > program, http://www.memtest86.com/ [Google for memtest
    will
    | > return other hits].
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "marshmallow" <marshmallow@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote
    | > in message

    | > | Hello all you Windows doctors.
    | > | (Windows XP running on pentium 4)
    | > | Here are my symptoms.
    | > | Windows freezes on the welcome screen with a single
    beep
    | > from the motherboard.
    | > | My computer automatically turns itself on again after
    | > being turned off.
    | > | In control panel, system, there is a problem with the
    | > floppy disk drive.
    | > | Occasionally I have a message at startup saying there
    is
    | > not enough memory
    | > | free. (I have let windows control that automatically
    | > though.)
    | > |
    | > | Last time this happened (last time I installed windows
    on
    | > this machine in
    | > | fact...) I managed to find an obscure forum posting
    that
    | > solved the problem,
    | > | but I can't remember what the solution was. It
    involved
    | > going into the
    | > | registry and modifying a single entry concerning the
    | > floppy disk drive,
    | > | something like changing a zero to a one, and
    afterwards
    | > the problem
    | > | completely disappeared.
    | > |
    | > | So my question to you, you wonderful windows
    | > puzzle-solvers, should you
    | > | choose to accept the chellenge.... What is that single
    | > entry that I need to
    | > | modify in the registry in order to resolve this
    conflict?
    | > |
    | > | Thanks for the help

    Thank you very much indeed for the advice, which is unfortunately of no use
    to me at all.

    My concern is not the RAM, it is a conflict between windows and my floppy
    drive. Although not an expert, neither am I a novice, and am absolutely 100
    % certain of what I say.

    So, please don't tire your fingers writing another "change your ram"
    suggestion, because that has nothing to do with what I'm asking. No offence,
    but if I followed your advice I would waste time and money.

    > Until your memory (organic, self-contained) improves, good
    > luck.

    Is that a joke? Or some sort of obscure meta-humour?

    > "Nice Bear" <nicebear_of_nantes@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:41aa0dc3$0$31694$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...
    > | Thank you very much for the suggestion.
    > |
    > | But as I said in my message, I have already had this
    > problem once, and the
    > | solution was in the configuration of the floppy in a
    > certain forgotten
    > | corner of the registry. The problem is absolutely
    > identical to the last time
    > | too, so I assume the solution will be the same as well.
    > |
    > | I am certain that my RAM is working fine.
    > |

    > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> a
    > écrit dans le message
    > | de news: OZeozvW1EHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > | > It sounds as though you have a problem with the
    > installed
    > | > RAM, failing to work properly or consistently.
    > | >
    > | > I would open the BIOS and disable the floppy drive, just
    > | > eliminate that issue temporarily. I would try replacing
    > | > your RAM in order to isolate a bad stick. You can try
    > | > removing all but one stick if you have at least 128 MB
    > | > sticks and booting with one. Then swap each stick to
    > find
    > | > the bad sticks. You can also download a memory testing
    > | > program, http://www.memtest86.com/ [Google for memtest
    > will
    > | > return other hits].
    > | >

    > | > --
    > | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > | >

    > | > "marshmallow" <marshmallow@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote
    > | > in message

    > beep
    > | > from the motherboard.
    > | > being turned off.
    > | > floppy disk drive.
    > is
    > | > not enough memory
    > | > though.)
    > | > |
    > on
    > | > this machine in
    > that
    > | > solved the problem,
    > involved
    > | > going into the
    > | > floppy disk drive,
    > afterwards
    > | > the problem
    > | > |
    > | > puzzle-solvers, should you
    > | > entry that I need to
    > conflict?
    > | > |

    I agree with the rest stating that it could be a problem with RAM.

    However, here are a few things to check:

    1) Check to see if floppy drive is corrected listed in BIOS
    2) Check floppy drive cable for broken/cut wires and make sure it is
    "seated" correctly.
    3) Check in anti-virus programs to see if "check floppy for viruses" (or any
    other such configurations) is turned off
    4) Check for spywares
    5) Stop "indexing service" and/or Office "fast find"
    6) Check "start-up" to see if no programs is trying to run from floppy drive
    A: or B:
    7) Run a complete and up to date virus check.

    The "problem" sound like the second of RAM that is being accessed in "bad"
    and causes XP to access the floppy. There is no direct relation of RAM and
    floppy.

    > Thank you very much indeed for the advice, which is unfortunately of no
    > use
    > to me at all.
    >
    > My concern is not the RAM, it is a conflict between windows and my floppy
    > drive. Although not an expert, neither am I a novice, and am absolutely
    > 100
    > % certain of what I say.
    >
    > So, please don't tire your fingers writing another "change your ram"
    > suggestion, because that has nothing to do with what I'm asking. No
    > offence,
    > but if I followed your advice I would waste time and money.
    >
    >> Until your memory (organic, self-contained) improves, good
    >> luck.
    >
    > Is that a joke? Or some sort of obscure meta-humour?
    >

    >> --
    >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >>

    >> "Nice Bear" <nicebear_of_nantes@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >> message news:41aa0dc3$0$31694$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...
    >> | Thank you very much for the suggestion.
    >> |
    >> | But as I said in my message, I have already had this
    >> problem once, and the
    >> | solution was in the configuration of the floppy in a
    >> certain forgotten
    >> | corner of the registry. The problem is absolutely
    >> identical to the last time
    >> | too, so I assume the solution will be the same as well.
    >> |
    >> | I am certain that my RAM is working fine.
    >> |

    >> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> a
    >> écrit dans le message
    >> | de news: OZeozvW1EHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >> installed

    >> find
    >> will

    >> wrote

    >> beep
    >> is
    >> | > |
    >> on
    >> that
    >> involved
    >> afterwards
    >> | > |
    >> conflict?
    >> | > |

    J'ai trouvé. Je saute de joie tout en vous remerciant de vos suggestions
    quand-même.

    En fait, windows installe d'office un truc d'anti piratage qui s'appelle
    Tpkd.sys qui partage le même irq (6) que le lecteur de disquette. Ca foutait
    la zone et la mémore virtuelle décidait que cT son propre problème à gérer,
    même si cT pas le cas.

    j'ai réinstallé les drivers de tpkd.sys, et ça marche comme sur des
    roulettes.

    trop de la balle.
    mais merci bcp de l'attention que vous avez porté à mon message.
    bonne continuation

    "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    u1DAs1h1EHA.1076@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > I agree with the rest stating that it could be a problem with RAM.
    >
    > However, here are a few things to check:
    >
    > 1) Check to see if floppy drive is corrected listed in BIOS
    > 2) Check floppy drive cable for broken/cut wires and make sure it is
    > "seated" correctly.
    > 3) Check in anti-virus programs to see if "check floppy for viruses" (or
    any
    > other such configurations) is turned off
    > 4) Check for spywares
    > 5) Stop "indexing service" and/or Office "fast find"
    > 6) Check "start-up" to see if no programs is trying to run from floppy
    drive
    > A: or B:
    > 7) Run a complete and up to date virus check.
    >

    > The "problem" sound like the second of RAM that is being accessed in "bad"
    > and causes XP to access the floppy. There is no direct relation of RAM
    and
    > floppy.
    >

    > "Nice Bear" <nicebear_of_nantes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you very much indeed for the advice, which is unfortunately of no
    > > use
    > > to me at all.
    > >
    > > My concern is not the RAM, it is a conflict between windows and my
    floppy
    > > drive. Although not an expert, neither am I a novice, and am absolutely
    > > 100
    > > % certain of what I say.
    > >
    > > So, please don't tire your fingers writing another "change your ram"
    > > suggestion, because that has nothing to do with what I'm asking. No
    > > offence,
    > > but if I followed your advice I would waste time and money.
    > >
    > >> Until your memory (organic, self-contained) improves, good
    > >> luck.
    > >
    > > Is that a joke? Or some sort of obscure meta-humour?
    > >

    > >> --
    > >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > >>

    > >> "Nice Bear" <nicebear_of_nantes@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > >> message news:41aa0dc3$0$31694$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...

    > >> problem once, and the
    > >> certain forgotten
    > >> identical to the last time

    > >> écrit dans le message
    > >> installed

    > >> find
    > >> will

    > >> wrote

    > >> beep
    > >> is
    > >> | > |
    > >> on
    > >> that
    > >> involved
    > >> afterwards
    > >> | > |
    > >> conflict?
    > >> | > |

    oh, goodness gracious me, I was so happy I forgot to speak English...
    a thousand apologies.
    But yes, I was refering to the pace anti-piracy software that installs
    itself in XP, using the same irq as the floppy drive... (6)
    and what happens is that windows decides that it is a memory problem and
    asks you to increase the virtual memory.
    I was indeed referring to
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314101
    thank you

    news: 41ab3111$0$30420$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...