Puzzle: floppy disk drive memory conflict

November 28, 2004 9:43:02 AM

Hello all you Windows doctors.
(Windows XP running on pentium 4)
Here are my symptoms.
Windows freezes on the welcome screen with a single beep from the motherboard.
My computer automatically turns itself on again after being turned off.
In control panel, system, there is a problem with the floppy disk drive.
Occasionally I have a message at startup saying there is not enough memory
free. (I have let windows control that automatically though.)

Last time this happened (last time I installed windows on this machine in
fact...) I managed to find an obscure forum posting that solved the problem,
but I can't remember what the solution was. It involved going into the
registry and modifying a single entry concerning the floppy disk drive,
something like changing a zero to a one, and afterwards the problem
completely disappeared.

So my question to you, you wonderful windows puzzle-solvers, should you
choose to accept the chellenge.... What is that single entry that I need to
modify in the registry in order to resolve this conflict?

Thanks for the help
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:56:40 PM

It sounds as though you have a problem with the installed
RAM, failing to work properly or consistently.

I would open the BIOS and disable the floppy drive, just to
eliminate that issue temporarily. I would try replacing
your RAM in order to isolate a bad stick. You can try
removing all but one stick if you have at least 128 MB
sticks and booting with one. Then swap each stick to find
the bad sticks. You can also download a memory testing
program, http://www.memtest86.com/ [Google for memtest will
return other hits].

"marshmallow" <marshmallow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
| Hello all you Windows doctors.
| (Windows XP running on pentium 4)
| Here are my symptoms.
| Windows freezes on the welcome screen with a single beep
from the motherboard.
| My computer automatically turns itself on again after
being turned off.
| In control panel, system, there is a problem with the
floppy disk drive.
| Occasionally I have a message at startup saying there is
not enough memory
| free. (I have let windows control that automatically
though.)

| Last time this happened (last time I installed windows on
this machine in
| fact...) I managed to find an obscure forum posting that
solved the problem,
| but I can't remember what the solution was. It involved
going into the
| registry and modifying a single entry concerning the
floppy disk drive,
| something like changing a zero to a one, and afterwards
the problem
| completely disappeared.
|
| So my question to you, you wonderful windows
puzzle-solvers, should you
| choose to accept the chellenge.... What is that single
entry that I need to
| modify in the registry in order to resolve this conflict?
|
| Thanks for the help
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:56:41 PM

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

But as I said in my message, I have already had this problem once, and the
solution was in the configuration of the floppy in a certain forgotten
corner of the registry. The problem is absolutely identical to the last time
too, so I assume the solution will be the same as well.

I am certain that my RAM is working fine.

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> a écrit dans le message
de news: OZeozvW1EHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> It sounds as though you have a problem with the installed
> RAM, failing to work properly or consistently.
>
> I would open the BIOS and disable the floppy drive, just to
> eliminate that issue temporarily. I would try replacing
> your RAM in order to isolate a bad stick. You can try
> removing all but one stick if you have at least 128 MB
> sticks and booting with one. Then swap each stick to find
> the bad sticks. You can also download a memory testing
> program, http://www.memtest86.com/ [Google for memtest will
> return other hits].

> "marshmallow" <marshmallow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message
> | Hello all you Windows doctors.
> | (Windows XP running on pentium 4)
> | Here are my symptoms.
> | Windows freezes on the welcome screen with a single beep
> from the motherboard.
> | My computer automatically turns itself on again after
> being turned off.
> | In control panel, system, there is a problem with the
> floppy disk drive.
> | Occasionally I have a message at startup saying there is
> not enough memory
> | free. (I have let windows control that automatically
> though.)
> |
> | Last time this happened (last time I installed windows on
> this machine in
> | fact...) I managed to find an obscure forum posting that
> solved the problem,
> | but I can't remember what the solution was. It involved
> going into the
> | registry and modifying a single entry concerning the
> floppy disk drive,
> | something like changing a zero to a one, and afterwards
> the problem
> | completely disappeared.
> |
> | So my question to you, you wonderful windows
> puzzle-solvers, should you
> | choose to accept the chellenge.... What is that single
> entry that I need to
> | modify in the registry in order to resolve this conflict?
> |
> | Thanks for the help

November 28, 2004 2:48:48 PM

If you do find that the trouble is in the RAM and you decide
to use the Memtest86 program, you will need to re-enable the
floppy or burn a bootable CD to run the program.

Personally, I think testing the RAM modules one at a time
would be a good and easy test. A friend had a similar
problem when a 256 MB stick went partially bad. RAM is
cheap these days and if you have a bad stick, a swap with
good RAM will be fast and positive.

Until your memory (organic, self-contained) improves, good
luck.

"Nice Bear" <nicebear_of_nantes@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:41aa0dc3$0$31694$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...
| Thank you very much for the suggestion.
|
| But as I said in my message, I have already had this
problem once, and the
| solution was in the configuration of the floppy in a
certain forgotten
| corner of the registry. The problem is absolutely
identical to the last time
| too, so I assume the solution will be the same as well.
|
| I am certain that my RAM is working fine.
|

| "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> a
écrit dans le message
| de news: OZeozvW1EHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| > It sounds as though you have a problem with the
installed
| > RAM, failing to work properly or consistently.
| >
| > I would open the BIOS and disable the floppy drive, just
| > eliminate that issue temporarily. I would try replacing
| > your RAM in order to isolate a bad stick. You can try
| > removing all but one stick if you have at least 128 MB
| > sticks and booting with one. Then swap each stick to
find
| > the bad sticks. You can also download a memory testing
| > program, http://www.memtest86.com/ [Google for memtest
will
| > return other hits].
| >

| > --
| >

| > "marshmallow" <marshmallow@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote
| > in message

| > | Hello all you Windows doctors.
| > | (Windows XP running on pentium 4)
| > | Here are my symptoms.
| > | Windows freezes on the welcome screen with a single
beep
| > from the motherboard.
| > | My computer automatically turns itself on again after
| > being turned off.
| > | In control panel, system, there is a problem with the
| > floppy disk drive.
| > | Occasionally I have a message at startup saying there
is
| > not enough memory
| > | free. (I have let windows control that automatically
| > though.)
| > |
| > | Last time this happened (last time I installed windows
on
| > this machine in
| > | fact...) I managed to find an obscure forum posting
that
| > solved the problem,
| > | but I can't remember what the solution was. It
involved
| > going into the
| > | registry and modifying a single entry concerning the
| > floppy disk drive,
| > | something like changing a zero to a one, and
afterwards
| > the problem
| > | completely disappeared.
| > |
| > | So my question to you, you wonderful windows
| > puzzle-solvers, should you
| > | choose to accept the chellenge.... What is that single
| > entry that I need to
| > | modify in the registry in order to resolve this
conflict?
| > |
| > | Thanks for the help

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 2:48:49 PM

Thank you very much indeed for the advice, which is unfortunately of no use
to me at all.

My concern is not the RAM, it is a conflict between windows and my floppy
drive. Although not an expert, neither am I a novice, and am absolutely 100
% certain of what I say.

So, please don't tire your fingers writing another "change your ram"
suggestion, because that has nothing to do with what I'm asking. No offence,
but if I followed your advice I would waste time and money.

> Until your memory (organic, self-contained) improves, good
> luck.

Is that a joke? Or some sort of obscure meta-humour?

> "Nice Bear" <nicebear_of_nantes@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:41aa0dc3$0$31694$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...
> | Thank you very much for the suggestion.
> |
> | But as I said in my message, I have already had this
> problem once, and the
> | solution was in the configuration of the floppy in a
> certain forgotten
> | corner of the registry. The problem is absolutely
> identical to the last time
> | too, so I assume the solution will be the same as well.
> |
> | I am certain that my RAM is working fine.
> |

> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> a
> écrit dans le message
> | de news: OZeozvW1EHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> | > It sounds as though you have a problem with the
> installed
> | > RAM, failing to work properly or consistently.
> | >
> | > I would open the BIOS and disable the floppy drive, just
> | > eliminate that issue temporarily. I would try replacing
> | > your RAM in order to isolate a bad stick. You can try
> | > removing all but one stick if you have at least 128 MB
> | > sticks and booting with one. Then swap each stick to
> find
> | > the bad sticks. You can also download a memory testing
> | > program, http://www.memtest86.com/ [Google for memtest
> will
> | > return other hits].
> | >

> | > --
> | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
> | >

> | > "marshmallow" <marshmallow@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote
> | > in message

> beep
> | > from the motherboard.
> | > being turned off.
> | > floppy disk drive.
> is
> | > not enough memory
> | > though.)
> | > |
> on
> | > this machine in
> that
> | > solved the problem,
> involved
> | > going into the
> | > floppy disk drive,
> afterwards
> | > the problem
> | > |
> | > puzzle-solvers, should you
> | > entry that I need to
> conflict?
> | > |

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 12:12:10 PM

I agree with the rest stating that it could be a problem with RAM.

However, here are a few things to check:

1) Check to see if floppy drive is corrected listed in BIOS
2) Check floppy drive cable for broken/cut wires and make sure it is
"seated" correctly.
3) Check in anti-virus programs to see if "check floppy for viruses" (or any
other such configurations) is turned off
4) Check for spywares
5) Stop "indexing service" and/or Office "fast find"
6) Check "start-up" to see if no programs is trying to run from floppy drive
A: or B:
7) Run a complete and up to date virus check.

The "problem" sound like the second of RAM that is being accessed in "bad"
and causes XP to access the floppy. There is no direct relation of RAM and
floppy.

> Thank you very much indeed for the advice, which is unfortunately of no
> use
> to me at all.
>
> My concern is not the RAM, it is a conflict between windows and my floppy
> drive. Although not an expert, neither am I a novice, and am absolutely
> 100
> % certain of what I say.
>
> So, please don't tire your fingers writing another "change your ram"
> suggestion, because that has nothing to do with what I'm asking. No
> offence,
> but if I followed your advice I would waste time and money.
>
>> Until your memory (organic, self-contained) improves, good
>> luck.
>
> Is that a joke? Or some sort of obscure meta-humour?
>

>> --
>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>

>> "Nice Bear" <nicebear_of_nantes@hotmail.com> wrote in
>> message news:41aa0dc3$0$31694$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...
>> | Thank you very much for the suggestion.
>> |
>> | But as I said in my message, I have already had this
>> problem once, and the
>> | solution was in the configuration of the floppy in a
>> certain forgotten
>> | corner of the registry. The problem is absolutely
>> identical to the last time
>> | too, so I assume the solution will be the same as well.
>> |
>> | I am certain that my RAM is working fine.
>> |

>> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> a
>> écrit dans le message
>> | de news: OZeozvW1EHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> installed

>> find
>> will

>> wrote

>> beep
>> is
>> | > |
>> on
>> that
>> involved
>> afterwards
>> | > |
>> conflict?
>> | > |

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 12:12:11 PM

J'ai trouvé. Je saute de joie tout en vous remerciant de vos suggestions
quand-même.

En fait, windows installe d'office un truc d'anti piratage qui s'appelle
Tpkd.sys qui partage le même irq (6) que le lecteur de disquette. Ca foutait
la zone et la mémore virtuelle décidait que cT son propre problème à gérer,
même si cT pas le cas.

j'ai réinstallé les drivers de tpkd.sys, et ça marche comme sur des
roulettes.

trop de la balle.
mais merci bcp de l'attention que vous avez porté à mon message.
bonne continuation

"Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
u1DAs1h1EHA.1076@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I agree with the rest stating that it could be a problem with RAM.
>
> However, here are a few things to check:
>
> 1) Check to see if floppy drive is corrected listed in BIOS
> 2) Check floppy drive cable for broken/cut wires and make sure it is
> "seated" correctly.
> 3) Check in anti-virus programs to see if "check floppy for viruses" (or
any
> other such configurations) is turned off
> 4) Check for spywares
> 5) Stop "indexing service" and/or Office "fast find"
> 6) Check "start-up" to see if no programs is trying to run from floppy
drive
> A: or B:
> 7) Run a complete and up to date virus check.
>

> The "problem" sound like the second of RAM that is being accessed in "bad"
> and causes XP to access the floppy. There is no direct relation of RAM
and
> floppy.
>

> "Nice Bear" <nicebear_of_nantes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you very much indeed for the advice, which is unfortunately of no
> > use
> > to me at all.
> >
> > My concern is not the RAM, it is a conflict between windows and my
floppy
> > drive. Although not an expert, neither am I a novice, and am absolutely
> > 100
> > % certain of what I say.
> >
> > So, please don't tire your fingers writing another "change your ram"
> > suggestion, because that has nothing to do with what I'm asking. No
> > offence,
> > but if I followed your advice I would waste time and money.
> >
> >> Until your memory (organic, self-contained) improves, good
> >> luck.
> >
> > Is that a joke? Or some sort of obscure meta-humour?
> >

> >> --
> >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
> >>

> >> "Nice Bear" <nicebear_of_nantes@hotmail.com> wrote in
> >> message news:41aa0dc3$0$31694$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...

> >> problem once, and the
> >> certain forgotten
> >> identical to the last time

> >> écrit dans le message
> >> installed

> >> find
> >> will

> >> wrote

> >> beep
> >> is
> >> | > |
> >> on
> >> that
> >> involved
> >> afterwards
> >> | > |
> >> conflict?
> >> | > |

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 12:12:12 PM

oh, goodness gracious me, I was so happy I forgot to speak English...
a thousand apologies.
But yes, I was refering to the pace anti-piracy software that installs
itself in XP, using the same irq as the floppy drive... (6)
and what happens is that windows decides that it is a memory problem and
asks you to increase the virtual memory.
I was indeed referring to
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314101
thank you

news: 41ab3111$0$30420$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...