Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

dvd writer problem with 7n400pro2

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2004 8:11:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

i have a brand new HP 420i DVD writer. it is installed as master on ide2.
recognized in
bios, will boot from cd prior to loading windows.

once winxp boots up, it recognizes the drive as a HP DVD 420n and
finds new hardware for a cd-rom drive.

however when i put a cd or dvd in the drive, it will not read them. trying
windows explorer comes back with a not responding window.

it is listed properly in device manager with UDMA mode 2. using ms ide
drivers.


i dont understand how it can work during post but not in windows?

any ideas?

ps i tried a fix regarding deleting upper and lower filters and this didnt
work either.



BTW i have tried 2 separate 420i with same problem. a lg cdrw was on this
channel working fine prior to this.

UPDATE: reinstalled winxp with no luck either. the drive works (albeit
slowly) when in safe mode as well!



Atlon XP 2600
nforce 2 MB
1 gig pc3200
Ati 9800 pro
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2004 11:36:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

"CreamX" <creamx@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:MFAUc.1773621$Ar.654086@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> i have a brand new HP 420i DVD writer. it is installed as master on ide2.
> recognized in
> bios, will boot from cd prior to loading windows.
>
> once winxp boots up, it recognizes the drive as a HP DVD 420n and
> finds new hardware for a cd-rom drive.
>
> however when i put a cd or dvd in the drive, it will not read them. trying
> windows explorer comes back with a not responding window.
>
> it is listed properly in device manager with UDMA mode 2. using ms ide
> drivers.
>
>
> i dont understand how it can work during post but not in windows?
>
> any ideas?
>
> ps i tried a fix regarding deleting upper and lower filters and this didnt
> work either.
>
>
>
> BTW i have tried 2 separate 420i with same problem. a lg cdrw was on this
> channel working fine prior to this.
>
> UPDATE: reinstalled winxp with no luck either. the drive works (albeit
> slowly) when in safe mode as well!
>
>
>
> Atlon XP 2600
> nforce 2 MB
> 1 gig pc3200
> Ati 9800 pro
>
>

sounds like a driver problem to me as you say WinXP recognises it as a cdrom
not a dvd ... have you checked the HP site for drivers or maybe a firmware
update for the writer?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2004 5:52:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

sorry if i mistyped, but it is recognized properly...just doesnt want to
read media

"Mal" <mincer2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:4122f8ed$0$20251$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
>
> "CreamX" <creamx@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> news:MFAUc.1773621$Ar.654086@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
>> i have a brand new HP 420i DVD writer. it is installed as master on ide2.
>> recognized in
>> bios, will boot from cd prior to loading windows.
>>
>> once winxp boots up, it recognizes the drive as a HP DVD 420n and
>> finds new hardware for a cd-rom drive.
>>
>> however when i put a cd or dvd in the drive, it will not read them.
>> trying
>> windows explorer comes back with a not responding window.
>>
>> it is listed properly in device manager with UDMA mode 2. using ms ide
>> drivers.
>>
>>
>> i dont understand how it can work during post but not in windows?
>>
>> any ideas?
>>
>> ps i tried a fix regarding deleting upper and lower filters and this
>> didnt
>> work either.
>>
>>
>>
>> BTW i have tried 2 separate 420i with same problem. a lg cdrw was on this
>> channel working fine prior to this.
>>
>> UPDATE: reinstalled winxp with no luck either. the drive works (albeit
>> slowly) when in safe mode as well!
>>
>>
>>
>> Atlon XP 2600
>> nforce 2 MB
>> 1 gig pc3200
>> Ati 9800 pro
>>
>>
>
> sounds like a driver problem to me as you say WinXP recognises it as a
> cdrom
> not a dvd ... have you checked the HP site for drivers or maybe a firmware
> update for the writer?
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2004 6:05:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Re: DVD writer showing during POST, and then not functioning under WinXP
....

I have a NEC1300A DVD writer that behaves identically, also on a 7N400Pro2
board with a 2600 Thoroughbred Athlon (but with nVid graphics). This had me
frothing at the mouth - thought it was the fault of the drive, tried
different firmware, wrote a "this is a PoS" e mail to NEC (as if they
care!), and was intending to hurl the offending drive into a dumpster. Only
the distance to the dumpster meant that excess effort would be required, so
I still have the drive, used to keep the door open on hot days. I think I'll
attach it to a different mainboard and see if it works. I bet it does. The
thought that it might be a simple incompatibility with the mainboard hadn't
occurred to me. Incompatible kit used to be a problem with home PC building
and upgrading years ago, and I had forgotten about it.

I found that a LiteOn 811S drive worked, and therefore didn't pursue the
matter further. It's the easy way out.

Eddie B.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2004 9:59:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

"Eddie B." <Edward.Bromhead@spamfreespamBTIntenet.com> wrote in message
news:cfvnnn$41l$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> Re: DVD writer showing during POST, and then not functioning under WinXP
> ...
>
> I have a NEC1300A DVD writer that behaves identically, also on a 7N400Pro2
> board with a 2600 Thoroughbred Athlon (but with nVid graphics). This had
me
> frothing at the mouth - thought it was the fault of the drive, tried
> different firmware, wrote a "this is a PoS" e mail to NEC (as if they
> care!), and was intending to hurl the offending drive into a dumpster.
Only
> the distance to the dumpster meant that excess effort would be required,
so
> I still have the drive, used to keep the door open on hot days. I think
I'll
> attach it to a different mainboard and see if it works. I bet it does. The
> thought that it might be a simple incompatibility with the mainboard
hadn't
> occurred to me. Incompatible kit used to be a problem with home PC
building
> and upgrading years ago, and I had forgotten about it.
>
> I found that a LiteOn 811S drive worked, and therefore didn't pursue the
> matter further. It's the easy way out.
>
> Eddie B.
>
>

wierd ... I have the same NEC 1300A drive attached to my 7N400Pro2 (Rev1)
board and I've had no problems.
what bios are you using atm? ... F11 came out a couple of weeks ago.

Mal
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2004 1:33:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

"Mal" <mincer2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:41238ae9$0$20249$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
>
> "Eddie B." <Edward.Bromhead@spamfreespamBTIntenet.com> wrote in message
> news:cfvnnn$41l$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> > Re: DVD writer showing during POST, and then not functioning under
WinXP
> > ...
> >
> > I have a NEC1300A DVD writer that behaves identically, also on a
7N400Pro2
> > board with a 2600 Thoroughbred Athlon (but with nVid graphics). This had
> me
> > frothing at the mouth - thought it was the fault of the drive, tried
> > different firmware, wrote a "this is a PoS" e mail to NEC (as if they
> > care!), and was intending to hurl the offending drive into a dumpster.
> Only
> > the distance to the dumpster meant that excess effort would be required,
> so
> > I still have the drive, used to keep the door open on hot days. I think
> I'll
> > attach it to a different mainboard and see if it works. I bet it does.
The
> > thought that it might be a simple incompatibility with the mainboard
> hadn't
> > occurred to me. Incompatible kit used to be a problem with home PC
> building
> > and upgrading years ago, and I had forgotten about it.
> >
> > I found that a LiteOn 811S drive worked, and therefore didn't pursue the
> > matter further. It's the easy way out.
> >
> > Eddie B.
> >
> >
>
> wierd ... I have the same NEC 1300A drive attached to my 7N400Pro2 (Rev1)
> board and I've had no problems.
> what bios are you using atm? ... F11 came out a couple of weeks ago.
>
> Mal

Thanks for the info. I was on F8 (on F11 now). Mine's a Rev 1 - what is
different about a Rev 2?
Will try the NEC when I have a spare moment. My reading of the Gigabyte
website hints that the fix came with F9.
However, I took comfort from someone else having a similar problem to one I
experienced - indicated possibly that the hardware isn't entirely broken,
just that there is some incompatibility in the system (and also that I
wasn't alone in not being able to get it to work). I used to get such
incompatibilities all the time but over the past few years have got used to
things just working straightaway.
In the two weeks or so I struggled with the NEC1300A, the rather faster
LiteOn came out and was cheaper. Such is the pace of technology. Now the
drives are less than half what I paid for the NEC.

Eddie B.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2004 11:22:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

"Eddie B." <Edward.Bromhead@spamfreespamBTIntenet.com> wrote in message
news:cg0hvg$k7n$1@titan.btinternet.com...
>
> "Mal" <mincer2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:41238ae9$0$20249$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
> >
> > "Eddie B." <Edward.Bromhead@spamfreespamBTIntenet.com> wrote in message
> > news:cfvnnn$41l$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> > > Re: DVD writer showing during POST, and then not functioning under
> WinXP
> > > ...
> > >
> > > I have a NEC1300A DVD writer that behaves identically, also on a
> 7N400Pro2
> > > board with a 2600 Thoroughbred Athlon (but with nVid graphics). This
had
> > me
> > > frothing at the mouth - thought it was the fault of the drive, tried
> > > different firmware, wrote a "this is a PoS" e mail to NEC (as if they
> > > care!), and was intending to hurl the offending drive into a dumpster.
> > Only
> > > the distance to the dumpster meant that excess effort would be
required,
> > so
> > > I still have the drive, used to keep the door open on hot days. I
think
> > I'll
> > > attach it to a different mainboard and see if it works. I bet it does.
> The
> > > thought that it might be a simple incompatibility with the mainboard
> > hadn't
> > > occurred to me. Incompatible kit used to be a problem with home PC
> > building
> > > and upgrading years ago, and I had forgotten about it.
> > >
> > > I found that a LiteOn 811S drive worked, and therefore didn't pursue
the
> > > matter further. It's the easy way out.
> > >
> > > Eddie B.
> > >
> > >
> >
> > wierd ... I have the same NEC 1300A drive attached to my 7N400Pro2
(Rev1)
> > board and I've had no problems.
> > what bios are you using atm? ... F11 came out a couple of weeks ago.
> >
> > Mal
>
> Thanks for the info. I was on F8 (on F11 now). Mine's a Rev 1 - what is
> different about a Rev 2?

The Rev2 board has an updated IDE Raid controlled I think ... maybe
something else too but that's about it.

> Will try the NEC when I have a spare moment. My reading of the Gigabyte
> website hints that the fix came with F9.
> However, I took comfort from someone else having a similar problem to one
I
> experienced - indicated possibly that the hardware isn't entirely broken,
> just that there is some incompatibility in the system (and also that I
> wasn't alone in not being able to get it to work). I used to get such
> incompatibilities all the time but over the past few years have got used
to
> things just working straightaway.
> In the two weeks or so I struggled with the NEC1300A, the rather faster
> LiteOn came out and was cheaper. Such is the pace of technology. Now the
> drives are less than half what I paid for the NEC.
>
> Eddie B.
>

Yeah I know the feeling ... there are drives out now for less than I paid
for my NEC that write dual layer twice as fast as the NEC. I have 2xHDD on
IDE1 and the DVD on IDE2 with a Plextor 1610 CDR (it doesn't get used much
now to be honest)

Mal
!