GA 7N400 Pro2 F_USB problem

The front USB connectors on my case are (as far as I can tell) correctly
connected to the F_USB plug on the mainboard. However, USB devices that I
plug into the front case connectors either produce a "USB device not working
properly" error message or are not acknowledged at all. The USB connections
on the rear ATX cluster are fine. Problem exists with Windows XP and Windows
XP SP 2. I suspect a driver problem but have no idea how to resolve it.

What should show up in Device Manager? I don't see anything with "USB2" in
the device name. What drivers should the various USB components be using? If
anyone has this board and knows that their F_USB is working OK, could you
see what your device manager says?

Thanks,

--
John Goulden

"John D. Goulden" <jgoulden_news@goulden.org> wrote in message
> The front USB connectors on my case are (as far as I can tell) correctly
> connected to the F_USB plug on the mainboard. However, USB devices that I
> plug into the front case connectors either produce a "USB device not
working
> properly" error message or are not acknowledged at all. The USB
connections
> on the rear ATX cluster are fine. Problem exists with Windows XP and
Windows
> XP SP 2. I suspect a driver problem but have no idea how to resolve it.
>
> What should show up in Device Manager? I don't see anything with "USB2" in
> the device name. What drivers should the various USB components be using?
If
> anyone has this board and knows that their F_USB is working OK, could you
> see what your device manager says?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> John Goulden

they just show up as USB devices. Windows won't be able to detect any wiring
problems between the board and your front USB ports however ... check the
connections are right, I had mine wired up wrong when I first installed the
board. The USB ports will show up in windows no matter what you do with the
wiring, barring shorting pins out of course.

The USB port, which is all windows is concerned with, is sat on your
motherboard ... the only thing the wiring does is extend the port
connections to a standard socket. You could have nothing connected to the
motherboard socket and windows would still see the hardware working ok. The
only time you'll know that there's a problem is when you try to use it as
you've found out.

let us know how you get on

Mal

"Mal" <mincer2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "John D. Goulden" <jgoulden_news@goulden.org> wrote in message
> > The front USB connectors on my case are (as far as I can tell) correctly
> > connected to the F_USB plug on the mainboard. However, USB devices that
> > plug into the front case connectors either produce a "USB device not
> working
> > properly" error message or are not acknowledged at all. The USB
> connections
> > on the rear ATX cluster are fine. Problem exists with Windows XP and
> Windows
> > XP SP 2. I suspect a driver problem but have no idea how to resolve it.
> >
> > What should show up in Device Manager? I don't see anything with "USB2"
in
> > the device name. What drivers should the various USB components be
using?
> If
> > anyone has this board and knows that their F_USB is working OK, could
you
> > see what your device manager says?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> > John Goulden
> >

> they just show up as USB devices. Windows won't be able to detect any
wiring
> problems between the board and your front USB ports however ... check the
> connections are right, I had mine wired up wrong when I first installed
the
> board. The USB ports will show up in windows no matter what you do with
the
> wiring, barring shorting pins out of course.
>
> The USB port, which is all windows is concerned with, is sat on your
> motherboard ... the only thing the wiring does is extend the port
> connections to a standard socket. You could have nothing connected to the
> motherboard socket and windows would still see the hardware working ok.
The
> only time you'll know that there's a problem is when you try to use it as
> you've found out.
>
> let us know how you get on
>
> Mal

Some other GB boards have a rear-of-computer plate with 2 USB ports in it,
and a single plug which goes to a motherboard header. Certainly the 7VA
series of boards have them. My local computer shop has "no-name" equivalents
with the same wiring. If you can get hold of one of those, you can't plug it
into F_USB wrongly. As far as I can tell, GB always lays out the MB header
the same way. It's worth trying - if it works, then you did plug in the
individual wires from the case USB ports wrongly (if it doesn't, then you
know the MB header probably isn't working).

Eddie B.

Turned out to be a bad board...got a replacement and all is well.

--
John Goulden