cd/dvd drives not accessible I/O device error

Running windows xp home on pIII with 392 mb RAM, since installing SP2 pc
recognises cd and dvd drives but WMP10 cant recognise them, any disc
inserted just comes up with the title message, have tried to update the
IMAPI.EXE changed the IDE Lead and all to no avail, help please.

Youre probably running intel hardware,go to intel site,downloads,chipset
software,locate the software installation pkg.,install this first,then locate
the application accelerator version 2.3,install 2nd.This updates the hardware
drivers on all IDE chains.