Permission Settings problems.

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 6, 2005 6:02:05 PM

I'm on 3 machines of WinXP, and 1 machine on Win98, I would like to know if
there are basic settings, within each machine, so that I never get any
errors whilst navigating different folders. There need be no hidden files,
or nothing that is privi to other machines. Where shall I go to make sure
all machines have access to all machine, as I am experiencing problems now,
when I try to access "Documents and Settings" on one machine, but not on
another, and I can access "Program Files" one way, but it won't let me
access it from another machine.

Regards.
Paul.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 8:53:01 PM

"Kardon Coupé" wrote:
> I'm on 3 machines of WinXP, and 1 machine on Win98, I would like to know if
> there are basic settings, within each machine, so that I never get any
> errors whilst navigating different folders. There need be no hidden files,
> or nothing that is privi to other machines. Where shall I go to make sure
> all machines have access to all machine, as I am experiencing problems now,
> when I try to access "Documents and Settings" on one machine, but not on
> another, and I can access "Program Files" one way, but it won't let me
> access it from another machine.
>
> Regards.
> Paul.

There was an old technical support joke about a secret driver, noerror.sys,
if you install it, Windows never bluescreens, programs never crash and all
works nicely.
But the evil Microsoft reserves it for themselves and won't allow download it.

Seriously - to get full access to all machines you need to log on as
administrator to all them, _and_ set the proper network permissions to all
the shares.
This has nothing to do with wireless, please ask in other newsgroups.
There are also "backdoor" hacking tools; hope you aren't asking about these.

Good luck,
--PA
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 2:47:57 PM

What your saying about permissions is what im trying to acheive, i am
logging in as admin, and as far as i was aware if i right click on the c
drive, and choose sharing and security, share the drive and allow users to
change the files, that was that, but i find i can't get access to docs and
settings, unless i right click that and give it its own share, then i find
when i go into the docs and setting folder, i have to do that on each
individual folder. same with program files and the windows folder. i am
wondering if there is a global setting that can be turned on, or something
getting disabled for ease? or and 3rd party software that can automate the
process easy for me. i have 3 machines i would like to do this on.

hope you can help.

p.s. if i manage to find noerror.sys, you'll see me on the news =-)
"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> "Kardon Coupé" wrote:
>> I'm on 3 machines of WinXP, and 1 machine on Win98, I would like to know
>> if
>> there are basic settings, within each machine, so that I never get any
>> errors whilst navigating different folders. There need be no hidden
>> files,
>> or nothing that is privi to other machines. Where shall I go to make sure
>> all machines have access to all machine, as I am experiencing problems
>> now,
>> when I try to access "Documents and Settings" on one machine, but not on
>> another, and I can access "Program Files" one way, but it won't let me
>> access it from another machine.
>>
>> Regards.
>> Paul.
>
> There was an old technical support joke about a secret driver,
> noerror.sys,
> if you install it, Windows never bluescreens, programs never crash and
> all
> works nicely.
> But the evil Microsoft reserves it for themselves and won't allow download
> it.
>
> Seriously - to get full access to all machines you need to log on as
> administrator to all them, _and_ set the proper network permissions to
> all
> the shares.
> This has nothing to do with wireless, please ask in other newsgroups.
> There are also "backdoor" hacking tools; hope you aren't asking about
> these.
>
> Good luck,
> --PA

Related resources
March 7, 2005 2:47:58 PM

Kardon Coupé wrote:

> What your saying about permissions is what im trying to acheive, i am
> logging in as admin, and as far as i was aware if i right click on the
> c drive, and choose sharing and security, share the drive and allow
> users to change the files, that was that, but i find i can't get
> access to docs and settings, unless i right click that and give it its
> own share, then i find when i go into the docs and setting folder, i
> have to do that on each individual folder. same with program files and
> the windows folder. i am wondering if there is a global setting that
> can be turned on, or something getting disabled for ease? or and 3rd
> party software that can automate the process easy for me. i have 3
> machines i would like to do this on.

This is because you apparently have XP Home and is the way Home is
designed. If you need better control over sharing/permissions, upgrade
to Pro or put files that need to be shared into the Shared Documents
folder.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

I don't have XP Home, I'm on XP Pro with SP2. I don't want the shared
folder, I would like the whole drives on every machine (3 of them) to be
accessable on every other machine. with no permission errors, the machines
are mine, all the files are all mine, I want to be able to access them from
all the machines.

"Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Kardon Coupé wrote:
>
>> What your saying about permissions is what im trying to acheive, i am
>> logging in as admin, and as far as i was aware if i right click on the
>> c drive, and choose sharing and security, share the drive and allow
>> users to change the files, that was that, but i find i can't get
>> access to docs and settings, unless i right click that and give it its
>> own share, then i find when i go into the docs and setting folder, i
>> have to do that on each individual folder. same with program files and
>> the windows folder. i am wondering if there is a global setting that
>> can be turned on, or something getting disabled for ease? or and 3rd
>> party software that can automate the process easy for me. i have 3
>> machines i would like to do this on.
>>
> This is because you apparently have XP Home and is the way Home is
> designed. If you need better control over sharing/permissions, upgrade
> to Pro or put files that need to be shared into the Shared Documents
> folder.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
March 8, 2005 1:46:03 AM

Kardon Coupé wrote:

> I don't have XP Home, I'm on XP Pro with SP2. I don't want the shared
> folder, I would like the whole drives on every machine (3 of them) to
> be accessable on every other machine. with no permission errors, the
> machines are mine, all the files are all mine, I want to be able to
> access them from all the machines.
>

> "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Kardon Coupé wrote:
>>
>>> What your saying about permissions is what im trying to acheive, i
>>> am logging in as admin, and as far as i was aware if i right click
>>> on the c drive, and choose sharing and security, share the drive and
>>> allow users to change the files, that was that, but i find i can't
>>> get access to docs and settings, unless i right click that and give
>>> it its own share, then i find when i go into the docs and setting
>>> folder, i have to do that on each individual folder. same with
>>> program files and the windows folder. i am wondering if there is a
>>> global setting that can be turned on, or something getting disabled
>>> for ease? or and 3rd party software that can automate the process
>>> easy for me. i have 3 machines i would like to do this on.

Do you have Simple Sharing turned off? Check in Folder Options>Views. I
have XP Pro boxen and don't have any problems sharing anything I want
on them, so I suspect you still have Simple Sharing on.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 4:04:42 AM

Originally was on, but I turned if off, and still the problem.

"Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:o f7u$j3IFHA.732@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Kardon Coupé wrote:
>
>> I don't have XP Home, I'm on XP Pro with SP2. I don't want the shared
>> folder, I would like the whole drives on every machine (3 of them) to
>> be accessable on every other machine. with no permission errors, the
>> machines are mine, all the files are all mine, I want to be able to
>> access them from all the machines.
>>

>> "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message

> Do you have Simple Sharing turned off? Check in Folder Options>Views. I
> have XP Pro boxen and don't have any problems sharing anything I want
> on them, so I suspect you still have Simple Sharing on.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
March 8, 2005 4:04:43 AM

Kardon Coupé wrote:

> Originally was on, but I turned if off, and still the problem.
>
> "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
> news:o f7u$j3IFHA.732@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Kardon Coupé wrote:
>>
>>> I don't have XP Home, I'm on XP Pro with SP2. I don't want the
>>> shared folder, I would like the whole drives on every machine (3 of
>>> them) to be accessable on every other machine. with no permission
>>> errors, the machines are mine, all the files are all mine, I want to
>>> be able to access them from all the machines.
>>>

>>> "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message

>> Do you have Simple Sharing turned off? Check in Folder Options>Views.
>> I have XP Pro boxen and don't have any problems sharing anything I
>> want on them, so I suspect you still have Simple Sharing on.

Then I'm sorry, but I don't know. I haven't seen the problem you are
describing on any of my 5 Windows XP Pro boxen. That doesn't invalidate
your experience, of course. Perhaps posting in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web might get you more answers since
this doesn't really have much to do with wireless that I can tell.

Good luck and sorry I wasn't able to help you.

Malke
--
!