Asus vs USB question please

I've been googling all day and have visited Asus' web site and can't
find out the following that I need to troubleshoot an issue I'm having.
I have an Asus P4C800-E mobo. During the boot, does Asus sound a beep
for each USB port in use? I'm using 4 ports and am getting four beeps
during boot. I understand this might be something new by ASUS but I
can't find anything on it. I think what I'm getting during my boot is
this USB port use confirmation for the printer and 3 controllers I have
hooked up, instead of a 4 beep code as in an American Megatrends BIOS
post check.
Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!! :)
Dudley

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

The link above has beep code information. Of course, it is too easy for
BIOS manufacturers to use a standard code. Four beeps means something
different for just about every BIOS made.

"Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote in message
> I've been googling all day and have visited Asus' web site and can't
> find out the following that I need to troubleshoot an issue I'm having.
> I have an Asus P4C800-E mobo. During the boot, does Asus sound a beep
> for each USB port in use? I'm using 4 ports and am getting four beeps
> during boot. I understand this might be something new by ASUS but I
> can't find anything on it. I think what I'm getting during my boot is
> this USB port use confirmation for the printer and 3 controllers I have
> hooked up, instead of a 4 beep code as in an American Megatrends BIOS
> post check.
> Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!! :)
> Dudley

Thanks Kevin. I have the beep codes, and you're right; they're all
different :)
My BIOS is an AMI/ASUS. My issue is a bit perplexing as I believe I've
solved it, but I'm looking for confirmation on one point. Apparently
Asus, at least this is what I've been reading on some of the tech
groups, until about six months ago, apparently used a beep on the boot
that isn't connected in any way whatsoever with their beep codes for
boot errors, for each of the USB ports that has a connected device to
it. I was getting 4 beeps. I have a printer and three controllers on USB
ports. I naturally assumed, because i had absolutely no knowledge at all
about the USB issue, that what I was getting was a post check beep code
that indicated at 4 beeps for the AMI BIOS, a timer error/mobo issue
which is fatal to the motherboard.
What I'm trying to confirm from someone with an older BIOS for my board,
is that ASUS did indeed use this USB beep setup!
Dudley

Dudley Henriques wrote:

> I've been googling all day and have visited Asus' web site and can't
> find out the following that I need to troubleshoot an issue I'm having.
> I have an Asus P4C800-E mobo. During the boot, does Asus sound a beep
> for each USB port in use? I'm using 4 ports and am getting four beeps
> during boot. I understand this might be something new by ASUS but I
> can't find anything on it. I think what I'm getting during my boot is
> this USB port use confirmation for the printer and 3 controllers I have
> hooked up, instead of a 4 beep code as in an American Megatrends BIOS
> post check.
> Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!!! :)
> Dudley

Early versions of the BIOS on that MB did beep once per USB during POST.
Many folks found that annoying, so it was reportedly removed in a later release.
--
Cheers, Bob

Thank you Bob. This confirms and solves my issue for me.
Dudley