GA-8I915P-D Pro - How Much Max Memory - 3 or 4gb?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Hey

Building a new system and was thinking about this mainboard. However, can
someone please clarify the maximum amount of DDR2 533mhz ram this will take?
Gigabyte website says 4GB but a couple of on-line stores say although the
Bios will address 4 the system will only utilize 3BG????

Was thinking of 2 lots of 1gb paired strips.

Thanks in advance.

Clippy

--

Windows / MSN Messenger: clippy@crymealiver.com
5 answers Last reply
More about 8i915p memory
  1. Hi Clippy.
    Did you ever get an answer on this? I am having the same issue and it seems to be taking a while to get an answer from Gigabyte, Has anyone managed to get 4GB DDR2 running?
    Thanks.
  2. The stores are simply trying to circumvent complaints from people with 32 bit OSs; 2 to the thirty-second (the number of useable address lines in a 32 bit OS) is 4,294,967,296 or 4 gig; however, many system resources (usb hubs, ports, and, especially video cards with large amounts of memory) have to use memory-mapped I/O for access, thereby making the mapped areas inaccessible to the OS - you wind up with around 3.2 to 3.5 gig; with a 64 bit OS, this problem goes away...

BTW - you are better off buying two 2X sticks, than four 1X sticks - they're just easier to make run properly; also, try to stay away from Crucial & Kingston; stick with mushkin (first choice, but pricy), or G.Skill (cheaper, and the 1066s seem to work well, too); OCZ is kinda in the middle, and in a couple weeks I can tell you more re integrating them to a GB - got a pile of 1150s cheap, and will speed bin them and install when I disassemble to change over to water cooling...
  3. ......
    ........................can someone PLEASE delete all threads prior to say...2006?
  4. Ack - never thought to look at the DATE! ;=)
  5. Hi. I knew this was an old thread but I was googling away looking or any info about whether anyone had fitted 4GB to this board (manual says 4GB, Intel 915P says 4GB , Gigabyte website and google say 2GB.
    Thanks to Bilbat - I knew about the 4GB not showing up as 4GB. The board only takes 2 DDR2s OR 2 DDRs and not 4 sticks of either so I was only looking at 2 sticks. Looks like I am running a few years behind! Actually I need some advice with a slow PIII 600 I have......
    Thanks again.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte Memory Motherboards