Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Max Hard Disk size in GA-7DXR+

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2004 9:05:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Hi all,
Does anybody know if there's a maximum hard disk size that
this board can recognise? I'm using the latest BIOS, F9.
I'd like to get a hdd at around the 200GB mark, but there's
no info on the gigabyte web site that will tell me if this
is acceptable.

Thanks.

--

Vu.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2004 1:30:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

"Vu" <v_le@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o bqVc.715$D7.379@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Hi all,
> Does anybody know if there's a maximum hard disk size that
> this board can recognise? I'm using the latest BIOS, F9.
> I'd like to get a hdd at around the 200GB mark, but there's
> no info on the gigabyte web site that will tell me if this
> is acceptable.
>
> Thanks.

F10 bios will accept HDD's at 137gb or above. I have a 160gb drive
now on my motherboard and it worked fine. However, you have to have
a operating system that will see it properly. Like Linux or Windows
2000 service pack 3 or Windows XP service pack 1 or above.

This is so that both the bios and the operating system can use 48bit
addressing and can use the whole drive. Otherwise you be stuck at
137gb limit.

So yes, it can run a drive like that but make sure you have latest
drivers etc and update the bios to F10.

- --
Skipai

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGPfreeware 7.0.3 for non-commercial use <http://www.pgp.com&gt;

iQA/AwUBQSZfgZxl8H7mp9nsEQK4jwCZAYF4K34pOmQ0er74HNJ8W5ODTbYAoPWS
Ruj0AEkLG3zVO3tHhIDhODv+
=qjfa
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2004 1:30:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Skipai Da Otter wrote:

> "Vu" <v_le@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o bqVc.715$D7.379@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
>>>Hi all,
>>>Does anybody know if there's a maximum hard disk size that
>>>this board can recognise? I'm using the latest BIOS, F9.
>>>I'd like to get a hdd at around the 200GB mark, but there's
>>>no info on the gigabyte web site that will tell me if this
>>>is acceptable.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>
>
> F10 bios will accept HDD's at 137gb or above. I have a 160gb drive
> now on my motherboard and it worked fine. However, you have to have
> a operating system that will see it properly. Like Linux or Windows
> 2000 service pack 3 or Windows XP service pack 1 or above.



The latest official GA-7DXR+ BIOS from Gigabyte is F9.
Where did you get F10?


-WD
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2004 11:33:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:D uOdnY1Vo5rnH7vcRVn-tQ@comcast.com...
> Skipai Da Otter wrote:
>
> > "Vu" <v_le@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:o bqVc.715$D7.379@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> >
> >>>Hi all,
> >>>Does anybody know if there's a maximum hard disk size that
> >>>this board can recognise? I'm using the latest BIOS, F9.
> >>>I'd like to get a hdd at around the 200GB mark, but there's
> >>>no info on the gigabyte web site that will tell me if this
> >>>is acceptable.
> >>>
> >>>Thanks.
> >
> >
> > F10 bios will accept HDD's at 137gb or above. I have a 160gb drive
> > now on my motherboard and it worked fine. However, you have to have
> > a operating system that will see it properly. Like Linux or Windows
> > 2000 service pack 3 or Windows XP service pack 1 or above.
>
>
>
> The latest official GA-7DXR+ BIOS from Gigabyte is F9.
> Where did you get F10?

The 7DXR has an F10 BIOS, but >137GB support was added in F9 for that
board. Maybe the 7DXR+ will support big disks with F9 as well?

Thanks,
Vu.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2004 5:43:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

"Vu" <v_le@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:NUCVc.1552$D7.1128@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> > The latest official GA-7DXR+ BIOS from Gigabyte is F9.
> > Where did you get F10?
>
> The 7DXR has an F10 BIOS, but >137GB support was added in F9 for
> that board. Maybe the 7DXR+ will support big disks with F9 as well?

Sorry. F9 sorts out 137gb issue. F10 bios added support for the
XP2600+ (266fsb) cpu.

Mind you, I love a F11 bios to come out to support the higher 266fsb
Duron's. You know, the 1.6, 1.8, 2.0ghz....

Even adding support for the new Sempron's as well (Socket a) would be
nice.

Would love to see is a MP2600+ or a MP2800+ would work though.
Considering that's a 266fsb chip. Doubt it though. Don't think
gigabyte bother with this old motherboard for updates anymore x.x

- --
Skipai

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGPfreeware 7.0.3 for non-commercial use <http://www.pgp.com&gt;

iQA/AwUBQSdDbJxl8H7mp9nsEQIqpQCgnnbWXNb/79EvaLaEGxAS421WpegAn0A/
rREVfNR2l7c5nwpbnRJvAeo9
=zqjB
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2004 5:44:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:D uOdnY1Vo5rnH7vcRVn-tQ@comcast.com...
>
> The latest official GA-7DXR+ BIOS from Gigabyte is F9.
> Where did you get F10?

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_G...

There. Up to you on if you want F9 or F10 bios. :) 

- --
Skipai

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGPfreeware 7.0.3 for non-commercial use <http://www.pgp.com&gt;

iQA/AwUBQSdDyJxl8H7mp9nsEQKDLgCg/tDNhNCNk7C4MDbP+kw9sKRsv2gAoMQt
5zSSpTnHyuW4NO0hRMWfUZNF
=fpEY
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2004 7:15:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

"Skipai Da Otter" <skipaiotter@fishbones.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:jlIVc.529$GZ2.16@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> news:D uOdnY1Vo5rnH7vcRVn-tQ@comcast.com...
> >
> > The latest official GA-7DXR+ BIOS from Gigabyte is F9.
> > Where did you get F10?
>
> http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_G...
>
> There. Up to you on if you want F9 or F10 bios. :) 

That's for the GA-7DXR, not the GA-7DXR+ which I have. I'm not sure of
the difference, but the 7DXR+ only has F9 Bios available as the latest.

From their website:
http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_G...
F9 2003/6/9
Support Athlon XP 2400+, 2600+ CPU (FSB 266, 0.13u)

F8 2002/5/31
Correct AMD AthlonXP 2100+, 2200+ CPU.
Turn off keyboard LED in S5.

F7 2002/3/19
Correct ATA133 mode for onboard Promise chip.
Fix AGP usage information in DMI incorrect.
Turn off keyboard LED before system shutdown.

No mention of hard disk sizes, but since the F9 bios for 7DXR+ came
after F9 for 7DXR (where >137GB HDD support was added) I would think
it would ok to use big hard disks on the 7DXR+.

Anyways, I guess I'll try it and find out...

Thanks,
Vu.
!