Windows XP not detecting new USB devices.

I have a XP Pro PC that when I plug in any new USB device, does not
display "Found New Hardware" bubble in the system tray, and does not
invoke the Found New Hardware Wizard.

The devices show up in Device Manager under "Other Devices" with a
icon overlaid with a question mark. The drivers can then be installed
using the "Update Driver" option.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the devices are not being
correctly detected on initial insertion? Is there for instance some
registry setting to disable this behaviour?

Many Thanks in advance,

Steve.
1 answer Last reply
More about windows detecting devices

    Steve, disconnect all USB devices and from Device Manager locate all the
    USB Controllers rt click and choose uninstall
    for each one. Restart and let WinXP reinstall them. Also, if your USB
    Device came with XP drivers or Software try installing it first before you
    connect the device.
    "Steve" <steveg1@my-Deja.com> wrote in message
    >I have a XP Pro PC that when I plug in any new USB device, does not
    > display "Found New Hardware" bubble in the system tray, and does not
    > invoke the Found New Hardware Wizard.
    >
    > The devices show up in Device Manager under "Other Devices" with a
    > icon overlaid with a question mark. The drivers can then be installed
    > using the "Update Driver" option.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas as to why the devices are not being
    > correctly detected on initial insertion? Is there for instance some
    > registry setting to disable this behaviour?
    >
    > Many Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Steve.

Hardware Devices Windows XP