GA7-NNXP - Any thoughts please on why CTRL+F1 doesn't do a..

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Hi folks - I have a GA7-NNXP mobo and I cannot access the extended
functions in the BIOS. No matter how many times that I press CTRL+F1, all I
ever manage to get is the help screen every second time I press the
keys??!?!?!??!

As you can well imagine, this is frustrating beyond words and so I would
very much appreciate any thoughts you may have on what is preventing me
from this simple operation.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Pete wrote:
> Hi folks - I have a GA7-NNXP mobo and I cannot access the extended
> functions in the BIOS. No matter how many times that I press CTRL+F1,
> all I ever manage to get is the help screen every second time I press
> the keys??!?!?!??!
>
> As you can well imagine, this is frustrating beyond words and so I
> would very much appreciate any thoughts you may have on what is
> preventing me from this simple operation.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Pete

Sounds like the CTRL key isn't being recognized. Could be bad keyboard.

"Pete" <pete@you.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks - I have a GA7-NNXP mobo and I cannot access the extended
> functions in the BIOS. No matter how many times that I press CTRL+F1, all
> ever manage to get is the help screen every second time I press the
> keys??!?!?!??!
>
> As you can well imagine, this is frustrating beyond words and so I would
> very much appreciate any thoughts you may have on what is preventing me
> from this simple operation.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Pete

Shoddy keyboard?...is it PS2 or USB?, enabled USB keyboard support in
BIOS...lol, though you might need to hit Ctrl + F1 to find it.

:)

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Pete <pete@you.com> wrote in

> Hi folks - I have a GA7-NNXP mobo and I cannot access the extended
> functions in the BIOS. No matter how many times that I press CTRL+F1,
> all I ever manage to get is the help screen every second time I press
> the keys??!?!?!??!
>
> As you can well imagine, this is frustrating beyond words and so I
> would very much appreciate any thoughts you may have on what is
> preventing me from this simple operation.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Pete

Thanks for the keyboard suggestions but I have used two keyboards,
neither of which have ever given me any trouble for anything other that
accessing the extended BIOS. Oh and neither of them have been USB
keyboards.

Next? ;-))

Pete

Bobo

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2004

I have exactly the same symptoms with a GA-7N400 Pro 2 (rev 2). This
is what I do (in case it's wrong!):

1. Hit <Del> during POST. Main setup screen appears.
2. Hit <Ctrl>F1. Nothing happens.
3. Hit <Ctrl>F1 again. F1 help screen is displayed (as if the <Ctrl>
key had simply been trapped/ignored).

Have successfully flashed to the most recent BIOS.

Bobo

Pete wrote:
> Thanks for the keyboard suggestions but I have used two keyboards,
> neither of which have ever given me any trouble for anything other
> that accessing the extended BIOS. Oh and neither of them have been USB
> keyboards.
>
> Next? ;-))

Um, do you have the current BIOS?

Travis Jordan wrote:
> Pete wrote:
>> Thanks for the keyboard suggestions but I have used two keyboards,
>> neither of which have ever given me any trouble for anything other
>> that accessing the extended BIOS. Oh and neither of them have been
>> USB keyboards.
>>
>> Next? ;-))
>
> Um, do you have the current BIOS?

Also, I see where the help screen comes up only every SECOND time that
you press CNTL+F1. I'm assuming that you looked to see if the advanced
BIOS features were there after the FIRST time you pressed CNTL+F1?

Bobo wrote:
> I have exactly the same symptoms with a GA-7N400 Pro 2 (rev 2). This
> is what I do (in case it's wrong!):
>
> 1. Hit <Del> during POST. Main setup screen appears.
> 2. Hit <Ctrl>F1. Nothing happens.
> 3. Hit <Ctrl>F1 again. F1 help screen is displayed (as if the <Ctrl>
> key had simply been trapped/ignored).
>
> Have successfully flashed to the most recent BIOS.
>
> Bobo
>

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:40:34 GMT, Pete <pete@you.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks - I have a GA7-NNXP mobo and I cannot access the extended
>> functions in the BIOS. No matter how many times that I press
>> CTRL+F1, all I ever manage to get is the help screen every second
>> time I press the keys??!?!?!??!
>>
>> As you can well imagine, this is frustrating beyond words and so I
>> would very much appreciate any thoughts you may have on what is
>> preventing me from this simple operation.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Pete

On some models the first screen looks exactly the same, but when you go
to lower level screens you will find added options within categories
that were previously not there. Have you looked? Check the Advanced
Chipset menu.

Bobo

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:42:10 GMT, "Travis Jordan" <no.one@no.net>
wrote:

>Bobo wrote:
>> I have exactly the same symptoms with a GA-7N400 Pro 2 (rev 2). This
>> is what I do (in case it's wrong!):

<snippage>

>On some models the first screen looks exactly the same, but when you go
>to lower level screens you will find added options within categories
>that were previously not there. Have you looked? Check the Advanced
>Chipset menu.

Are you saying that <Ctrl>+F1 may not be available on some of the BIOS
updates that Gigabyte is distributing? I'm beginning to think that
might be the case here. However, my MB User's Manual mentions the
<Ctrl>+F1 trick in two places:

"If you require more advanced BIOS settings, please go to 'Advanced
BIOS' setting menu. To enter Advanced BIOS setting menu, press
'Ctrl+F1' key on the BIOS screen."

"If you don't find the setting you want, please press "Ctrl+F1" to
search the advanced option widden" (sic).

The User's Manual doesn't provide any screen shots or descriptions of
what settings are actually available on the mystery screen, so it's
pretty hard to determine if those settings can be found elsewhere. I
checked my "Advanced Chipset Features" and "Frequency/Voltage Control"
screens. They are almost identical to the screencaps printed in the
manual. Advanced Chipset Features provides some adjustment for System
Performance (Normal / Turbo / Manual), FSB Frequency
(100/133/166/200MHz), Memory Frequency, and AGP Frequency. There are
also a few USB-related settings which aren't shown in my manual. The
Frequency/Voltage Control screen offers limited adjustments to VCORE,
DIMM, and AGP voltages.

Maybe someone will be kind enough to summarize the contents of the
magic <Ctrl>+F1 screen?

Rob

Simply check if there is an option to choose between AGP or PCI visplay card
as primary. That is only on advanced setup. It is at the bottom of the
options.

Bobo wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:42:10 GMT, "Travis Jordan" <no.one@no.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Bobo wrote:
>>> I have exactly the same symptoms with a GA-7N400 Pro 2 (rev 2). This
>>> is what I do (in case it's wrong!):
>>>
> <snippage>
>>
>> On some models the first screen looks exactly the same, but when you
>> go to lower level screens you will find added options within
>> categories that were previously not there. Have you looked? Check
>> the Advanced Chipset menu.
>
> Are you saying that <Ctrl>+F1 may not be available on some of the BIOS
> updates that Gigabyte is distributing? I'm beginning to think that
> might be the case here. However, my MB User's Manual mentions the
> <Ctrl>+F1 trick in two places:
>
> "If you require more advanced BIOS settings, please go to 'Advanced
> BIOS' setting menu. To enter Advanced BIOS setting menu, press
> 'Ctrl+F1' key on the BIOS screen."
>
> "If you don't find the setting you want, please press "Ctrl+F1" to
> search the advanced option widden" (sic).
>
> The User's Manual doesn't provide any screen shots or descriptions of
> what settings are actually available on the mystery screen, so it's
> pretty hard to determine if those settings can be found elsewhere. I
> checked my "Advanced Chipset Features" and "Frequency/Voltage Control"
> screens. They are almost identical to the screencaps printed in the
> manual. Advanced Chipset Features provides some adjustment for System
> Performance (Normal / Turbo / Manual), FSB Frequency
> (100/133/166/200MHz), Memory Frequency, and AGP Frequency. There are
> also a few USB-related settings which aren't shown in my manual. The
> Frequency/Voltage Control screen offers limited adjustments to VCORE,
> DIMM, and AGP voltages.
>
> Maybe someone will be kind enough to summarize the contents of the
> magic <Ctrl>+F1 screen?
>
> Rob

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

"Deely Hunter" <hunterde@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Subject: Re: GA7-NNXP - Any thoughts please on why CTRL+F1 doesn't do
> anything? From: "Deely Hunter" <hunterde@yahoo.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
>
> Simply check if there is an option to choose between AGP or PCI
> visplay card as primary. That is only on advanced setup. It is at the
> bottom of the options.

Thanks for the suggestion, which I tried. Choosing AGP or PCI as primary
is on the basic setup immediately after booting and without using
CTRL+F1. Pressing the CNTRL+F1 appears to change absolutely zilch, which
is why I posted the question. BTW, if the information is of any help, I
am running F15 BIOS.

Looking forward to some more suggestions.

Pete

Bobo

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:18:09 +0900, "Deely Hunter"
<hunterde@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Simply check if there is an option to choose between AGP or PCI visplay card
>as primary. That is only on advanced setup. It is at the bottom of the
>options.

My confusion has been cleared up. For no apparent reason, I had been
operating under the assumption that hitting Ctrl+F1 would cause a
*new* CMOS settings page to pop up. What it actually does is cause
some additional choices to appear on a couple of the *existing* pages.
D'oh!

Pete -- if your 7NNXP is anything like my 7N400, hitting Ctrl+F1 ought
to cause some extra settings to appear when you visit the "Advanced
Chipset Features" page. On my machine, you must hit Ctrl+F1 while
you're on the opening setup screen (the one providing links to all of
the other screens). When I try it from other screens, it doesn't seem
to work.

Also, if you've got BIOS F15, you're several cycles behind. The latest
is F20, available from...

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-7NNXP.htm

Rob

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Bobo <duchybobo@hotmail.com> wrote in

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:18:09 +0900, "Deely Hunter"
> <hunterde@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Simply check if there is an option to choose between AGP or PCI
>>visplay card as primary. That is only on advanced setup. It is at the
>>bottom of the options.
>
> My confusion has been cleared up. For no apparent reason, I had been
> operating under the assumption that hitting Ctrl+F1 would cause a
> *new* CMOS settings page to pop up. What it actually does is cause
> some additional choices to appear on a couple of the *existing* pages.
> D'oh!
>
> Pete -- if your 7NNXP is anything like my 7N400, hitting Ctrl+F1 ought
> to cause some extra settings to appear when you visit the "Advanced
> Chipset Features" page. On my machine, you must hit Ctrl+F1 while
> you're on the opening setup screen (the one providing links to all of
> the other screens). When I try it from other screens, it doesn't seem
> to work.
>
> Also, if you've got BIOS F15, you're several cycles behind. The latest
> is F20, available from...
>
> http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-7NNXP.htm
>
> Rob

Thanks for the input Rob - I must need a new pair of spectacles as I
can't see any additional anything anywhere!! Please can you help me out a
little more by telling me what you have found and on which screens?

BTW folks I am now on F20 and I still can't find anything on the BIOS
pages!

Looking forward to discovering how strong my spectacles need to be! ;-))

Thanks

Pete

Bobo

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:27:58 GMT, Pete <pete@you.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the input Rob - I must need a new pair of spectacles as I
>can't see any additional anything anywhere!! Please can you help me out a
>little more by telling me what you have found and on which screens?

After Ctrl-F1, the following new stuff appears in my setup screens (I
have a 7N400Pro2 Rev 2 with BIOS FH):

On the Advanced BIOS Features page:
- HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability
- AGP Aperture Size

On the Advanced Chipset Features page:
- CPU Interface
- Memory Timings
- T(RAS)
- T(RCD)
- T(RP)
- CAS Latency
- AGP 8X Support
- AGP Fast Write Capability
- CPU Thermal-Throttling

On the PnP/PCI Configurations page:
- PCI Latency Timer

There might be a few other odds and ends that I missed, but that's
most of it.

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:27:58 GMT, Pete <pete@you.com> wrote:
>>
>>Thanks for the input Rob - I must need a new pair of spectacles as I
>>can't see any additional anything anywhere!! Please can you help me
>>out a little more by telling me what you have found and on which
>>screens?
>>
> After Ctrl-F1, the following new stuff appears in my setup screens (I
> have a 7N400Pro2 Rev 2 with BIOS FH):
>
> On the Advanced BIOS Features page:
> - HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability
> - AGP Aperture Size
>
> On the Advanced Chipset Features page:
> - CPU Interface
> - Memory Timings
> - T(RAS)
> - T(RCD)
> - T(RP)
> - CAS Latency
> - AGP 8X Support
> - AGP Fast Write Capability
> - CPU Thermal-Throttling
>
> On the PnP/PCI Configurations page:
> - PCI Latency Timer
>
> There might be a few other odds and ends that I missed, but that's
> most of it.
>
> Rob

Hi Rob and thanks for taking the trouble to get back to me.

I have checked my BIOS against your discoveries and I have all of these
options available from boot up, without having to hit CTRL+F1. So, where
I was confused before, I am now really confused. =:)-{}

I wonder if there anyone out there who has a NNXP and would care to help
me out here so that Rob can sate his curiosity and I can discover all of
the hidden talents of my mobo??

Thanks again Rob and I look forward to seeing if someone else can find
the time to pop up with a contribution or two.

Pete