GA7-NNXP - Any thoughts please on why CTRL+F1 doesn't do a..

Hi folks - I have a GA7-NNXP mobo and I cannot access the extended
functions in the BIOS. No matter how many times that I press CTRL+F1, all I
ever manage to get is the help screen every second time I press the
keys??!?!?!??!

As you can well imagine, this is frustrating beyond words and so I would
very much appreciate any thoughts you may have on what is preventing me
from this simple operation.

Thanks in advance

Pete
14 answers Last reply
More about nnxp thoughts ctrl doesn

    Pete wrote:
    > Hi folks - I have a GA7-NNXP mobo and I cannot access the extended
    > functions in the BIOS. No matter how many times that I press CTRL+F1,
    > all I ever manage to get is the help screen every second time I press
    > the keys??!?!?!??!
    >
    > As you can well imagine, this is frustrating beyond words and so I
    > would very much appreciate any thoughts you may have on what is
    > preventing me from this simple operation.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Pete

    Sounds like the CTRL key isn't being recognized. Could be bad keyboard.

    "Pete" <pete@you.com> wrote in message
    > Hi folks - I have a GA7-NNXP mobo and I cannot access the extended
    > functions in the BIOS. No matter how many times that I press CTRL+F1, all
    > ever manage to get is the help screen every second time I press the
    > keys??!?!?!??!
    >
    > As you can well imagine, this is frustrating beyond words and so I would
    > very much appreciate any thoughts you may have on what is preventing me
    > from this simple operation.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Pete

    Shoddy keyboard?...is it PS2 or USB?, enabled USB keyboard support in
    BIOS...lol, though you might need to hit Ctrl + F1 to find it.

    :-)

    Pete <pete@you.com> wrote in

    > Hi folks - I have a GA7-NNXP mobo and I cannot access the extended
    > functions in the BIOS. No matter how many times that I press CTRL+F1,
    > all I ever manage to get is the help screen every second time I press
    > the keys??!?!?!??!
    >
    > As you can well imagine, this is frustrating beyond words and so I
    > would very much appreciate any thoughts you may have on what is
    > preventing me from this simple operation.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Pete

    Thanks for the keyboard suggestions but I have used two keyboards,
    neither of which have ever given me any trouble for anything other that
    accessing the extended BIOS. Oh and neither of them have been USB
    keyboards.

    Next? ;-))

    Pete
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I have exactly the same symptoms with a GA-7N400 Pro 2 (rev 2). This
    is what I do (in case it's wrong!):

    1. Hit <Del> during POST. Main setup screen appears.
    2. Hit <Ctrl>F1. Nothing happens.
    3. Hit <Ctrl>F1 again. F1 help screen is displayed (as if the <Ctrl>
    key had simply been trapped/ignored).

    Have successfully flashed to the most recent BIOS.

    Bobo

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:40:34 GMT, Pete <pete@you.com> wrote:

    >Hi folks - I have a GA7-NNXP mobo and I cannot access the extended
    >functions in the BIOS. No matter how many times that I press CTRL+F1, all I
    >ever manage to get is the help screen every second time I press the
    >keys??!?!?!??!
    >
    >As you can well imagine, this is frustrating beyond words and so I would
    >very much appreciate any thoughts you may have on what is preventing me
    >from this simple operation.
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Pete
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Pete wrote:
    > Thanks for the keyboard suggestions but I have used two keyboards,
    > neither of which have ever given me any trouble for anything other
    > that accessing the extended BIOS. Oh and neither of them have been USB
    > keyboards.
    >
    > Next? ;-))

    Um, do you have the current BIOS?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Travis Jordan wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >> Thanks for the keyboard suggestions but I have used two keyboards,
    >> neither of which have ever given me any trouble for anything other
    >> that accessing the extended BIOS. Oh and neither of them have been
    >> USB keyboards.
    >>
    >> Next? ;-))
    >
    > Um, do you have the current BIOS?

    Also, I see where the help screen comes up only every SECOND time that
    you press CNTL+F1. I'm assuming that you looked to see if the advanced
    BIOS features were there after the FIRST time you pressed CNTL+F1?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Bobo wrote:
    > I have exactly the same symptoms with a GA-7N400 Pro 2 (rev 2). This
    > is what I do (in case it's wrong!):
    >
    > 1. Hit <Del> during POST. Main setup screen appears.
    > 2. Hit <Ctrl>F1. Nothing happens.
    > 3. Hit <Ctrl>F1 again. F1 help screen is displayed (as if the <Ctrl>
    > key had simply been trapped/ignored).
    >
    > Have successfully flashed to the most recent BIOS.
    >
    > Bobo
    >

    > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:40:34 GMT, Pete <pete@you.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi folks - I have a GA7-NNXP mobo and I cannot access the extended
    >> functions in the BIOS. No matter how many times that I press
    >> CTRL+F1, all I ever manage to get is the help screen every second
    >> time I press the keys??!?!?!??!
    >>
    >> As you can well imagine, this is frustrating beyond words and so I
    >> would very much appreciate any thoughts you may have on what is
    >> preventing me from this simple operation.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Pete

    On some models the first screen looks exactly the same, but when you go
    to lower level screens you will find added options within categories
    that were previously not there. Have you looked? Check the Advanced
    Chipset menu.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:42:10 GMT, "Travis Jordan" <no.one@no.net>
    wrote:

    >Bobo wrote:
    >> I have exactly the same symptoms with a GA-7N400 Pro 2 (rev 2). This
    >> is what I do (in case it's wrong!):

    <snippage>

    >On some models the first screen looks exactly the same, but when you go
    >to lower level screens you will find added options within categories
    >that were previously not there. Have you looked? Check the Advanced
    >Chipset menu.

    Are you saying that <Ctrl>+F1 may not be available on some of the BIOS
    updates that Gigabyte is distributing? I'm beginning to think that
    might be the case here. However, my MB User's Manual mentions the
    <Ctrl>+F1 trick in two places:

    "If you require more advanced BIOS settings, please go to 'Advanced
    BIOS' setting menu. To enter Advanced BIOS setting menu, press
    'Ctrl+F1' key on the BIOS screen."

    "If you don't find the setting you want, please press "Ctrl+F1" to
    search the advanced option widden" (sic).

    The User's Manual doesn't provide any screen shots or descriptions of
    what settings are actually available on the mystery screen, so it's
    pretty hard to determine if those settings can be found elsewhere. I
    checked my "Advanced Chipset Features" and "Frequency/Voltage Control"
    screens. They are almost identical to the screencaps printed in the
    manual. Advanced Chipset Features provides some adjustment for System
    Performance (Normal / Turbo / Manual), FSB Frequency
    (100/133/166/200MHz), Memory Frequency, and AGP Frequency. There are
    also a few USB-related settings which aren't shown in my manual. The
    Frequency/Voltage Control screen offers limited adjustments to VCORE,
    DIMM, and AGP voltages.

    Maybe someone will be kind enough to summarize the contents of the
    magic <Ctrl>+F1 screen?

    Rob
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Simply check if there is an option to choose between AGP or PCI visplay card
    as primary. That is only on advanced setup. It is at the bottom of the
    options.

    Bobo wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:42:10 GMT, "Travis Jordan" <no.one@no.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Bobo wrote:
    >>> I have exactly the same symptoms with a GA-7N400 Pro 2 (rev 2). This
    >>> is what I do (in case it's wrong!):
    >>>
    > <snippage>
    >>
    >> On some models the first screen looks exactly the same, but when you
    >> go to lower level screens you will find added options within
    >> categories that were previously not there. Have you looked? Check
    >> the Advanced Chipset menu.
    >
    > Are you saying that <Ctrl>+F1 may not be available on some of the BIOS
    > updates that Gigabyte is distributing? I'm beginning to think that
    > might be the case here. However, my MB User's Manual mentions the
    > <Ctrl>+F1 trick in two places:
    >
    > "If you require more advanced BIOS settings, please go to 'Advanced
    > BIOS' setting menu. To enter Advanced BIOS setting menu, press
    > 'Ctrl+F1' key on the BIOS screen."
    >
    > "If you don't find the setting you want, please press "Ctrl+F1" to
    > search the advanced option widden" (sic).
    >
    > The User's Manual doesn't provide any screen shots or descriptions of
    > what settings are actually available on the mystery screen, so it's
    > pretty hard to determine if those settings can be found elsewhere. I
    > checked my "Advanced Chipset Features" and "Frequency/Voltage Control"
    > screens. They are almost identical to the screencaps printed in the
    > manual. Advanced Chipset Features provides some adjustment for System
    > Performance (Normal / Turbo / Manual), FSB Frequency
    > (100/133/166/200MHz), Memory Frequency, and AGP Frequency. There are
    > also a few USB-related settings which aren't shown in my manual. The
    > Frequency/Voltage Control screen offers limited adjustments to VCORE,
    > DIMM, and AGP voltages.
    >
    > Maybe someone will be kind enough to summarize the contents of the
    > magic <Ctrl>+F1 screen?
    >
    > Rob
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    "Deely Hunter" <hunterde@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > Subject: Re: GA7-NNXP - Any thoughts please on why CTRL+F1 doesn't do
    > anything? From: "Deely Hunter" <hunterde@yahoo.com>
    > Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
    >
    > Simply check if there is an option to choose between AGP or PCI
    > visplay card as primary. That is only on advanced setup. It is at the
    > bottom of the options.

    Thanks for the suggestion, which I tried. Choosing AGP or PCI as primary
    is on the basic setup immediately after booting and without using
    CTRL+F1. Pressing the CNTRL+F1 appears to change absolutely zilch, which
    is why I posted the question. BTW, if the information is of any help, I
    am running F15 BIOS.

    Looking forward to some more suggestions.

    Pete
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:18:09 +0900, "Deely Hunter"
    <hunterde@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Simply check if there is an option to choose between AGP or PCI visplay card
    >as primary. That is only on advanced setup. It is at the bottom of the
    >options.

    My confusion has been cleared up. For no apparent reason, I had been
    operating under the assumption that hitting Ctrl+F1 would cause a
    *new* CMOS settings page to pop up. What it actually does is cause
    some additional choices to appear on a couple of the *existing* pages.
    D'oh!

    Pete -- if your 7NNXP is anything like my 7N400, hitting Ctrl+F1 ought
    to cause some extra settings to appear when you visit the "Advanced
    Chipset Features" page. On my machine, you must hit Ctrl+F1 while
    you're on the opening setup screen (the one providing links to all of
    the other screens). When I try it from other screens, it doesn't seem
    to work.

    Also, if you've got BIOS F15, you're several cycles behind. The latest
    is F20, available from...

    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-7NNXP.htm

    Rob
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Bobo <duchybobo@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:18:09 +0900, "Deely Hunter"
    > <hunterde@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Simply check if there is an option to choose between AGP or PCI
    >>visplay card as primary. That is only on advanced setup. It is at the
    >>bottom of the options.
    >
    > My confusion has been cleared up. For no apparent reason, I had been
    > operating under the assumption that hitting Ctrl+F1 would cause a
    > *new* CMOS settings page to pop up. What it actually does is cause
    > some additional choices to appear on a couple of the *existing* pages.
    > D'oh!
    >
    > Pete -- if your 7NNXP is anything like my 7N400, hitting Ctrl+F1 ought
    > to cause some extra settings to appear when you visit the "Advanced
    > Chipset Features" page. On my machine, you must hit Ctrl+F1 while
    > you're on the opening setup screen (the one providing links to all of
    > the other screens). When I try it from other screens, it doesn't seem
    > to work.
    >
    > Also, if you've got BIOS F15, you're several cycles behind. The latest
    > is F20, available from...
    >
    > http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-7NNXP.htm
    >
    > Rob

    Thanks for the input Rob - I must need a new pair of spectacles as I
    can't see any additional anything anywhere!! Please can you help me out a
    little more by telling me what you have found and on which screens?

    BTW folks I am now on F20 and I still can't find anything on the BIOS
    pages!

    Looking forward to discovering how strong my spectacles need to be! ;-))

    Thanks

    Pete
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:27:58 GMT, Pete <pete@you.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for the input Rob - I must need a new pair of spectacles as I
    >can't see any additional anything anywhere!! Please can you help me out a
    >little more by telling me what you have found and on which screens?

    After Ctrl-F1, the following new stuff appears in my setup screens (I
    have a 7N400Pro2 Rev 2 with BIOS FH):

    On the Advanced BIOS Features page:
    - HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability
    - AGP Aperture Size

    On the Advanced Chipset Features page:
    - CPU Interface
    - Memory Timings
    - T(RAS)
    - T(RCD)
    - T(RP)
    - CAS Latency
    - AGP 8X Support
    - AGP Fast Write Capability
    - CPU Thermal-Throttling

    On the PnP/PCI Configurations page:
    - PCI Latency Timer

    There might be a few other odds and ends that I missed, but that's
    most of it.

    Rob
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:27:58 GMT, Pete <pete@you.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>Thanks for the input Rob - I must need a new pair of spectacles as I
    >>can't see any additional anything anywhere!! Please can you help me
    >>out a little more by telling me what you have found and on which
    >>screens?
    >>
    > After Ctrl-F1, the following new stuff appears in my setup screens (I
    > have a 7N400Pro2 Rev 2 with BIOS FH):
    >
    > On the Advanced BIOS Features page:
    > - HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability
    > - AGP Aperture Size
    >
    > On the Advanced Chipset Features page:
    > - CPU Interface
    > - Memory Timings
    > - T(RAS)
    > - T(RCD)
    > - T(RP)
    > - CAS Latency
    > - AGP 8X Support
    > - AGP Fast Write Capability
    > - CPU Thermal-Throttling
    >
    > On the PnP/PCI Configurations page:
    > - PCI Latency Timer
    >
    > There might be a few other odds and ends that I missed, but that's
    > most of it.
    >
    > Rob

    Hi Rob and thanks for taking the trouble to get back to me.

    I have checked my BIOS against your discoveries and I have all of these
    options available from boot up, without having to hit CTRL+F1. So, where
    I was confused before, I am now really confused. =(:-{}

    I wonder if there anyone out there who has a NNXP and would care to help
    me out here so that Rob can sate his curiosity and I can discover all of
    the hidden talents of my mobo??

    Thanks again Rob and I look forward to seeing if someone else can find
    the time to pop up with a contribution or two.

    Pete

Gigabyte Motherboards