BSOD - nvidia GF4 FX-5200 nv4_disp

I have a GeForce4 FX-5200 Video card that constantly causes a BSOD
since I've put in SP2. The message states that the driver nv4_disp
causes an infinite loop. Has anyone seen or fixed this? I've added
the latest driver, but this has not helped. Any ideas?

peter

Hi,

What is the warning messages in BSOD?
pls post back to NG.

Peter

"Jon L. Miller" wrote:

> I have a GeForce4 FX-5200 Video card that constantly causes a BSOD
> since I've put in SP2. The message states that the driver nv4_disp
> causes an infinite loop. Has anyone seen or fixed this? I've added
> the latest driver, but this has not helped. Any ideas?

First, the video card is a Geforce FX 5200 and not a Geforce4 FX 5200.

Next, start up your Windows in "Safe mode" and remove the nVidia drivers.
Then reboot. After, download and install the latest nVidia card drivers
from www.nvidia.com and "detonator RIP" from www.guru3d.com. Install and
run "detonator RIP" to clear out all leftovers of the nVidia driver and
reboot. XP will start with "standard VGA: video card drivers. Next,
install the new nVidia video card drivers.

Also, you may want to innstall/re-install your motherboard's chipset
drivers.

"Jon L. Miller" <jlmiller@mmtnetworks.com.au> wrote in message
>I have a GeForce4 FX-5200 Video card that constantly causes a BSOD
> since I've put in SP2. The message states that the driver nv4_disp
> causes an infinite loop. Has anyone seen or fixed this? I've added
> the latest driver, but this has not helped. Any ideas?

arebangdu

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I Had the same problem with my dell 8300, with Nvidia 5200FX card
Do the following
1) Boot in safe mode
2) From device mgr, uninstall the driver
3) Scan for new hardware to install default VGA driver (shown with a problem in Dvc mgr)
5) Download latest nvidia drivers (ensure that FX5200 is listed in he readme pdf). I downloaded Version 175.19

6) DO NOT run setup. Just extract files with 7zip
7) In Device Mgr, click on the VGA display and update driver
8) When prompted, pick the folder where you extracted the Nvidia setup
9) Let device mgr install nvidia
10) Reboot

Good luck

phtakaha

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I had the same problem with a Dell Dimension 4600 with a FX5200. I tried many different drivers from Dell and nVidia. I noticed that two of the 1000uF capacitors near the GPU were slightly swollen near the tops. I was lucky enough to have a few around from changing them from another motherboard. Anyway, changing those two capacitors worked. No more BSODs. I believe I also read that there's a lot of bad capacitors used during that time period of manufacture. The procedure is documented at badcaps.net.

Good luck,
Paul T.