Installed new 160 g drive as slave and it was detected after boot up
sequence.Appears in
device manager but not my computer as it was not formatted/partitioned as
yet.Shutdown the pc
whilst I went to my friends to get P Magic.When I restart,the pc wont boot
and tells me there is a problem with my hdd.It boots no problem when I
disconnect this new drive.Any ideas pls

Is the jumpers properly configured (ie master/slave)? Was it SMART errors?

--
William

"spud 2" <foods@eircom.net> wrote in message
> Installed new 160 g drive as slave and it was detected after boot up
> sequence.Appears in
> device manager but not my computer as it was not formatted/partitioned as
> yet.Shutdown the pc
> whilst I went to my friends to get P Magic.When I restart,the pc wont boot
> and tells me there is a problem with my hdd.It boots no problem when I
> disconnect this new drive.Any ideas pls

peter

Hi,

First, check the jumper setting of your Hdds.
Set it to Auto or Cable select (CS) for both HDDs.
Connect the boot drive as master and the new Hdd as slave.
Make sure your are using a 80 wires 40 Pin shielded IDE cable and ensure the
12V power cables are connected firmly to the Hdds.
Boot into BIOS and check that you can see both Hdds in the Primary IDE
channel as master and slave Hdds.
Enable UDMA mode then save and exit BIOS setup.
Start windows.
If windows can be loaded successfully, right click My Computer/Manage/Disk
management. You should see Drive 1 in the lower right pane. Right click on it
and select initialize drive. Assign a drive letter, partition and format the
drive.

If you have installed SP1 or SP2 and your mobo BIOS support Hdd larger than
137GB, You should see the slave drive as 152.6 GB in disk management after
you have formated it as NTFS.

Peter

"spud 2" wrote:

> Installed new 160 g drive as slave and it was detected after boot up
> sequence.Appears in
> device manager but not my computer as it was not formatted/partitioned as
> yet.Shutdown the pc
> whilst I went to my friends to get P Magic.When I restart,the pc wont boot
> and tells me there is a problem with my hdd.It boots no problem when I
> disconnect this new drive.Any ideas pls

149GB for a 160 GB disk (WDC WD1600JB's anyway)

r.

> Hi,
>
> First, check the jumper setting of your Hdds.
> Set it to Auto or Cable select (CS) for both HDDs.
> Connect the boot drive as master and the new Hdd as slave.
> Make sure your are using a 80 wires 40 Pin shielded IDE cable and ensure
> the
> 12V power cables are connected firmly to the Hdds.
> Boot into BIOS and check that you can see both Hdds in the Primary IDE
> channel as master and slave Hdds.
> Enable UDMA mode then save and exit BIOS setup.
> Start windows.
> If windows can be loaded successfully, right click My Computer/Manage/Disk
> management. You should see Drive 1 in the lower right pane. Right click on
> it
> and select initialize drive. Assign a drive letter, partition and format
> the
> drive.
>
> If you have installed SP1 or SP2 and your mobo BIOS support Hdd larger
> than
> 137GB, You should see the slave drive as 152.6 GB in disk management after
> you have formated it as NTFS.
>
> Peter
>

> "spud 2" wrote:
>
>> Installed new 160 g drive as slave and it was detected after boot up
>> sequence.Appears in
>> device manager but not my computer as it was not formatted/partitioned as
>> yet.Shutdown the pc
>> whilst I went to my friends to get P Magic.When I restart,the pc wont
>> boot
>> and tells me there is a problem with my hdd.It boots no problem when I
>> disconnect this new drive.Any ideas pls

Jumpers are ok and no error details other than the warning"there is a
problem with your HDD"

Suspect it died if you reseated all the cables. Take it back to the store.

spud 2 wrote:

> Jumpers are ok and no error details other than the warning"there is a
> problem with your HDD"

TRENDING THREADS