DVD+RW Problem

I have an HP Pavilion computer with a DVD+RW drive. It has worked perfectly
until recently when I started experiencing problems whilst trying to burn a
CD. When I insert a blank CD into the drive and try to burn to it, the
computer comes up with an error message asking me to insert a blank CD into
the drive. However there is definitely one in there. I have tried multiple
brands of CD media to no avail. Also if I insert a pre-recorded CD the
computer does absolutley nothing and if I try and open the CD through My
Computer the computer tells me the drive is empty. The odd thing however is
that the computer still carries on playing DVD's and records to them still.
Is this a hardware problem or a software problem.

Please help me!!!

If it is any use I am running Windows XP SP2 and using a plus only single
layer DVD burner.

Thanks for any help.

The DVD part and the CD part use different lasers. Either the one which
reads/writes the CD is dirty or has failed.
www.coribright.com

"Robert Samuel" <Robert Samuel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP Pavilion computer with a DVD+RW drive. It has worked perfectly
> until recently when I started experiencing problems whilst trying to burn
> CD. When I insert a blank CD into the drive and try to burn to it, the
> computer comes up with an error message asking me to insert a blank CD
> into
> the drive. However there is definitely one in there. I have tried multiple
> brands of CD media to no avail. Also if I insert a pre-recorded CD the
> computer does absolutley nothing and if I try and open the CD through My
> Computer the computer tells me the drive is empty. The odd thing however
> is
> that the computer still carries on playing DVD's and records to them
> still.
> Is this a hardware problem or a software problem.
>
> Please help me!!!
>
> If it is any use I am running Windows XP SP2 and using a plus only single
> layer DVD burner.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Thanks very much. I am going to take my computer back to John Lewis where I
bought it and get them to repair it. Thanks again for the info.