USB Controller in Device Mgr not detected - GA-7N400 Pro2

i have installed the GA-7N400 Pro2 Version 2 mobo. all is working well
and i have updated the chipset and IDE drivers.

when checking the device manager i show a USB Controller still listed
as "Other Devices" with a question mark next to it. i suspect this may
be looking for the USB 2.0 drivers?? i show 2 listings for OpenHCD
controllers and 2 USB root hubs listed as good under USB
controllers...just this one showing up as an issue.

the mobo has 6 USB ports - 4 in back and 2 on front with card added. i
am only using the ones on back.

any idea on why i have ths issue of one USB controller showing up as a
problem or implying no drivers installed?

tw

First guess is a wiring error to the front plugs.
JPS

"GolfNut" <t_d_white@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> i have installed the GA-7N400 Pro2 Version 2 mobo. all is working well
> and i have updated the chipset and IDE drivers.
>
> when checking the device manager i show a USB Controller still listed
> as "Other Devices" with a question mark next to it. i suspect this may
> be looking for the USB 2.0 drivers?? i show 2 listings for OpenHCD
> controllers and 2 USB root hubs listed as good under USB
> controllers...just this one showing up as an issue.
>
> the mobo has 6 USB ports - 4 in back and 2 on front with card added. i
> am only using the ones on back.
>
> any idea on why i have ths issue of one USB controller showing up as a
> problem or implying no drivers installed?
>
> tw

On boards with the Nvidia chipset there are 2 USB1.1 Host controllers each
controlling "upto" 3 physical ports each, and 1 USB 2.0 Controller
controlling upto 6 ports. The physical ports are mapped to the host
controllers automatically dependant on their needs. What tends to happen is
that the USB 1.1 ports are set up correctly when you install the OS, but the
USB 2 ports are not correctly set up at this stage.

If memory serves me correctly the solution is to make sure you have
installed the latest motherboard drivers and if using XP make sure you have
at least XP SP1 installed. Then go into XP's device manager, select the non
functional USB host controller select "Update driver" and let XP scan for
the driver (no disk needed). After doing this you should now have a third
function Host Controller don't be upset if it appears listed identically to
the other 2 host controllers (this varies dependant on the driver version)
it will indeed be supplying USB 2.0 to your ports.

Crimson Liar

"GolfNut" <t_d_white@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>i have installed the GA-7N400 Pro2 Version 2 mobo. all is working well
> and i have updated the chipset and IDE drivers.
>
> when checking the device manager i show a USB Controller still listed
> as "Other Devices" with a question mark next to it. i suspect this may
> be looking for the USB 2.0 drivers?? i show 2 listings for OpenHCD
> controllers and 2 USB root hubs listed as good under USB
> controllers...just this one showing up as an issue.
>
> the mobo has 6 USB ports - 4 in back and 2 on front with card added. i
> am only using the ones on back.
>
> any idea on why i have ths issue of one USB controller showing up as a
> problem or implying no drivers installed?
>
> tw
On boards with the Nvidia chipset there are 2 USB1.1 Host controllers each
controlling "upto" 3 physical ports each, and 1 USB 2.0 Controller
controlling upto 6 ports. The physical ports are mapped to the host
controllers automatically dependant on their needs. What tends to happen is
that the USB 1.1 ports are set up correctly when you install the OS, but the
USB 2 ports are not correctly set up at this stage.

If memory serves me correctly the solution is to make sure you have
installed the latest motherboard drivers and if using XP make sure you have
at least XP SP1 installed. Then go into XP's device manager, select the non
functional USB host controller select "Update driver" and let XP scan for
the driver (no disk needed). After doing this you should now have a third
function Host Controller don't be upset if it appears listed identically to
the other 2 host controllers (this varies dependant on the driver version)
it will indeed be supplying USB 2.0 to your ports.

Crimson Liar

"GolfNut" <t_d_white@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>i have installed the GA-7N400 Pro2 Version 2 mobo. all is working well
> and i have updated the chipset and IDE drivers.
>
> when checking the device manager i show a USB Controller still listed
> as "Other Devices" with a question mark next to it. i suspect this may
> be looking for the USB 2.0 drivers?? i show 2 listings for OpenHCD
> controllers and 2 USB root hubs listed as good under USB
> controllers...just this one showing up as an issue.
>
> the mobo has 6 USB ports - 4 in back and 2 on front with card added. i
> am only using the ones on back.
>
> any idea on why i have ths issue of one USB controller showing up as a
> problem or implying no drivers installed?
>
> tw

thanks for the tip...this worked. all is good on this now.

golfnut