Negative Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, as I've seen the voting feature in use in plenty of places now, I have to say that it really looks to me that the fact that it's meant to only be for positive feedback is very unobvious to users. I could be wrong, but I'm seeing an awful lot of low-score votes on posts that look like people are disagreeing with.

I know that this wasn't meant to be its intent. But possible negativity is how it is used on plenty of other sites, and in practice negativity does seem to be what users are expecting. So could we please switch the scoring methodology from a 1 to 5 range to a -1 to +3 range or some such? (And probably likewise change the word 'good' to 'bad'?)

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
second

-1 to +3

something like

Nothing to do with topic

incorrect info

ok response

on topic, helped.

lots of info, and sites for research, helped me solve my problem effortlessly.

on a side how about a button that allows just the original topic poster to highlight the post that the person used to solve his or her problem, this could be used to help ppl in the future with the same problem, they wouldnt have to read everyones post just the highlighted one that helped.

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Your numbers seem quite good and it would work well...this is a very useful and better system of voting. The way Flakes named the numbers is good, and as long as forum members know what they mean, no harm should come out of people rating a post as -1. However, I believe this should definitely not be put into place in the other section...you can just imagine. The new number system would be benificial to everyone

However, they should not be able to highlight people's posts for several reasons:

1. Seeing some people on these forums, everything in every thread would end up getting highlighted.

2. This is somewhat like altering someone else's post.

3. Other people may not agree with the highlights.

4. How would more than one person highlight the same information?

5. Everybody has the ability to use qoutes.

What do the rest of the people in the THGC think about a new voting system?

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
uve misunderstood the higlighting system, only the original topic creator can highlight a post and the creator can only highlight 1 post that he/she found most beneficial.

i dont see why this would upset someone its like saying thankyou you helped me and this post is the one i used to solve my problem, if anyone else has a similar problem try doing what this post says first...

Shockeray

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
I must be missing something major, because I don't know what comments section you are talking about. Is it on a User's page, or in the thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.