Hard Drive usage not displayed correctly

Hello:
Can anyone help me? I noticed when I check properties under drive C: it
says that half (55GB) is used. When I select all files under C: and check
properties, it says that only 12GB is used. Does anyone know how i can fix
this? Would chkdsk will fix this? Would applying SP2 fix this? How about
doing an Win XP repair (from CD)? Thanks for any help!
--
Barb
6 answers Last reply

    Hi,

    Check the pagefiles and restore files settings.
    Your restore files is set to 10% of the C drive capacity by default and the
    pagefiles is 1.5 to 3 times of the physical memory on the DIMM slots.
    It is quite safe to change the restore files size to not more than 500MB.

    Peter

    "Barb" wrote:

    > Hello:
    > Can anyone help me? I noticed when I check properties under drive C: it
    > says that half (55GB) is used. When I select all files under C: and check
    > properties, it says that only 12GB is used. Does anyone know how i can fix
    > this? Would chkdsk will fix this? Would applying SP2 fix this? How about
    > doing an Win XP repair (from CD)? Thanks for any help!
    > --
    > Barb

    Barb, open MyComputer>rt click your Hard Drive Icon>select
    Properties>Disk Cleanup>More Options>System Restore>Cleanup. Say Yes and Ok
    to all.
    "Barb" <Barb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    > Can anyone help me? I noticed when I check properties under drive C: it
    > says that half (55GB) is used. When I select all files under C: and check
    > properties, it says that only 12GB is used. Does anyone know how i can
    > fix
    > this? Would chkdsk will fix this? Would applying SP2 fix this? How about
    > doing an Win XP repair (from CD)? Thanks for any help!
    > --
    > Barb

    Thanks, Rich. I tried the System Restore>Cleanup, but it didn't fix the
    problem. I also did the Office SP3, the WinXP SP2 install, and the OS
    repair, but none of those fixed it. Any other ideas? I didn't even know
    about that System Restore>Cleanup. I called Dell and they said to do a whole
    system re-format/re-install and that it was probably spyware, but I ran
    Adaware & Spybot and found next to nothing. They just gave me their patt
    answer to everything I think. :)

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > Barb, open MyComputer>rt click your Hard Drive Icon>select
    > Properties>Disk Cleanup>More Options>System Restore>Cleanup. Say Yes and Ok
    > to all.
    > "Barb" <Barb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello:
    > > Can anyone help me? I noticed when I check properties under drive C: it
    > > says that half (55GB) is used. When I select all files under C: and check
    > > properties, it says that only 12GB is used. Does anyone know how i can
    > > fix
    > > this? Would chkdsk will fix this? Would applying SP2 fix this? How about
    > > doing an Win XP repair (from CD)? Thanks for any help!
    > > --
    > > Barb

    Peter:
    Thanks for your response. The restore settings were set at 12%, so I
    changed them down to 5%, but that didn't seem to fix anything and page files
    were in the range you specified. Any other ideas? Thanks!

    "Peter" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Check the pagefiles and restore files settings.
    > Your restore files is set to 10% of the C drive capacity by default and the
    > pagefiles is 1.5 to 3 times of the physical memory on the DIMM slots.
    > It is quite safe to change the restore files size to not more than 500MB.
    >

    > Peter
    >
    > "Barb" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello:
    > > Can anyone help me? I noticed when I check properties under drive C: it
    > > says that half (55GB) is used. When I select all files under C: and check
    > > properties, it says that only 12GB is used. Does anyone know how i can fix
    > > this? Would chkdsk will fix this? Would applying SP2 fix this? How about
    > > doing an Win XP repair (from CD)? Thanks for any help!
    > > --
    > > Barb

    Are your Folder (View) Options set to show hidden files and folders?

    "Barb" <Barb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Hello:
    Can anyone help me? I noticed when I check properties under drive C: it
    says that half (55GB) is used. When I select all files under C: and check
    properties, it says that only 12GB is used. Does anyone know how i can fix
    this? Would chkdsk will fix this? Would applying SP2 fix this? How about
    doing an Win XP repair (from CD)? Thanks for any help!
    --
    Barb

    Barb, try this Utility. It's free for 15 days and will give you a good
    idea of what is on your C:
    http://www.foldersizes.com/download-folder-sizes/index.htm

    "BR549" <spamspam@spam.com> wrote in message
    > Are your Folder (View) Options set to show hidden files and folders?
    >
    > "Barb" <Barb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    > Can anyone help me? I noticed when I check properties under drive C: it
    > says that half (55GB) is used. When I select all files under C: and check
    > properties, it says that only 12GB is used. Does anyone know how i can
    > fix
    > this? Would chkdsk will fix this? Would applying SP2 fix this? How about
    > doing an Win XP repair (from CD)? Thanks for any help!
    > --
    > Barb

Hard Drives Windows XP