cingular or att?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
is.

Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?

I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
getting the 7 pm calling with both.
18 answers Last reply
More about cingular
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
    > international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
    > in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
    > is.
    >
    > Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
    >
    > I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
    > getting the 7 pm calling with both.

    It doesn't matter. They use the same towers NOW, and they will both be
    called Cingular soon. If you join ATT, you will be roaming (no charge) on
    cingular towers until after the name changes to Cingular. If you join
    Cingular, you will be roaming (no charge) on ATT towers until one day
    "cingular extend" areas come up on your phone as simply "cingular". I
    travel extensively in the US with Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at all.
    I'd suggest you try Cingular, one of the world phones. -Dave
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Hi Cosmo,

    I suggest you go through Amazon.com or letstalk.com to get the phone, you
    will receive up to $200 back per phone. I say go with AWS because you will
    get a better deal folded into Cingular later this year, you get a free phone
    every year with one of their promotions. Anyway you can check all plans and
    phone deals from a single site.

    Ben

    "Cosmo Kramer" <> wrote in message
    > I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
    > international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
    > in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
    > is.
    >
    > Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
    >
    > I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
    > getting the 7 pm calling with both.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Actually Verizon has or is due to get a CDMA/GSM (Europe only) phone for
    just this reason. Why don't you call Verizon Wireless and check this out
    before you switch?

    Cosmo Kramer wrote:

    > I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
    > international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
    > in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
    > is.
    >
    > Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
    >
    > I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
    > getting the 7 pm calling with both.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

    > "Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
    SNIP

    > It doesn't matter. They use the same towers NOW, and they will both be
    > called Cingular soon. If you join ATT, you will be roaming (no charge) on
    > cingular towers until after the name changes to Cingular. If you join
    > Cingular, you will be roaming (no charge) on ATT towers until one day
    > "cingular extend" areas come up on your phone as simply "cingular". I
    > travel extensively in the US with Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at
    all.
    > I'd suggest you try Cingular, one of the world phones. -Dave

    FYI...In the Seattle/Bellevue area my phone frequently says Cingular even
    though I am an ATTWS customer.

    You will need to make sure that the phone you get supports International
    frequencies. For example the Sony Ericcson T68i does, but the SE 226 does
    not.

    Cheers
    TC
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Perhaps then the answer is go with the one who currently offers the best
    deal/package. I am currently and AT&T customer. My contract will be up this
    month. I want a new phone (have TDMA and want GSM) but don't want to be
    stuck with a brand new phone that says AT&T if my new company will be
    Cingular. I know this is petty and cosmetic but..... I'm also hoping that
    there will be some good deals closer to the merger. Perhaps the merged
    company will be releasing some new phones.

    "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

    > "Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
    > > international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
    > > in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
    > > is.
    > >
    > > Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
    > >
    > > I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
    > > getting the 7 pm calling with both.
    >
    > It doesn't matter. They use the same towers NOW, and they will both be
    > called Cingular soon. If you join ATT, you will be roaming (no charge) on
    > cingular towers until after the name changes to Cingular. If you join
    > Cingular, you will be roaming (no charge) on ATT towers until one day
    > "cingular extend" areas come up on your phone as simply "cingular". I
    > travel extensively in the US with Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at
    all.
    > I'd suggest you try Cingular, one of the world phones. -Dave

  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message news:<2l6bbkF9d2oiU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > travel extensively in the US with Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at all.
    > I'd suggest you try Cingular, one of the world phones. -Dave

    thanks... that is what i am leaning towards to right now... the moto
    v600 from amazon for 100 bucks after all the rebates
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Ben" <ben14@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<6I-dna8IjrqPmnPdRVn_iw@adelphia.com>...
    > Hi Cosmo,
    >
    > I suggest you go through Amazon.com or letstalk.com to get the phone, you
    > will receive up to $200 back per phone. I say go with AWS because you will
    > get a better deal folded into Cingular later this year, you get a free phone
    > every year with one of their promotions. Anyway you can check all plans and
    > phone deals from a single site.
    >
    > Ben

    thanks... amazon is what i have been looking at.... leaning towards
    moto v600 for 100 bucks from cingular or 50 bucks from att

    also, if i go with att, i will pick the 2 year deal because i want to
    get the 7 pm deal and those only come with 2 year deals
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    I would suggest AT&T if you like the plan. As others suggest there is/will
    be no difference in the service. If the merger follows the typical pattern
    however AT&T customers will be given a choice whether to keep their plan or
    merge to a Cingular plan, Cingular customers on the other hand will not get
    & AT&T option. Therefore you would have more choices by going with AT&T
    now.

    Fred

    "Compulady" <compulady@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > Perhaps then the answer is go with the one who currently offers the best
    > deal/package. I am currently and AT&T customer. My contract will be up
    this
    > month. I want a new phone (have TDMA and want GSM) but don't want to be
    > stuck with a brand new phone that says AT&T if my new company will be
    > Cingular. I know this is petty and cosmetic but..... I'm also hoping that
    > there will be some good deals closer to the merger. Perhaps the merged
    > company will be releasing some new phones.
    >

    > "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
    > > > international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
    > > > in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
    > > > is.
    > > >
    > > > Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
    > > >
    > > > I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
    > > > getting the 7 pm calling with both.
    > >
    > > It doesn't matter. They use the same towers NOW, and they will both be
    > > called Cingular soon. If you join ATT, you will be roaming (no charge)
    on
    > > cingular towers until after the name changes to Cingular. If you join
    > > Cingular, you will be roaming (no charge) on ATT towers until one day
    > > "cingular extend" areas come up on your phone as simply "cingular". I
    > > travel extensively in the US with Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at
    > all.
    > > I'd suggest you try Cingular, one of the world phones. -Dave

  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "John M Flinchbaugh" <glynis@butterfly.hjsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Tony Clark <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > > FYI...In the Seattle/Bellevue area my phone frequently says Cingular
    > even
    > > though I am an ATTWS customer.
    >
    > i've noticed recently that i roam onto cingular more often now,
    > but my gprs doesn't work then. it says something about the ASN
    > being incorrect.
    >
    > is it expected when roaming to have data work?
    >
    > that's something to consider. if my attws phone is going to
    > start roaming more to cingular, it's not worth much to me if
    > data won't work.

    I am a cingular customer, and I still have gprs service when I roam
    on to ATT coverage.

    At least so far.

    Bernard
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <d1f2c2cd.0407081648.78bf0773@posting.google.com>,
    fb3003@gmail.com (Cosmo Kramer) wrote:

    > I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
    > international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
    > in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
    > is.
    >
    > Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
    >
    > I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
    > getting the 7 pm calling with both.

    It won't matter. Find the one that makes sense to you, and understand
    that by the end of the year you'll be a Cingular customer.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <_HnHc.12843$yy1.3674@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    "Compulady" <compulady@softhome.net> wrote:

    > I want a new phone (have TDMA and want GSM) but don't want to be
    > stuck with a brand new phone that says AT&T if my new company will be
    > Cingular.

    That's just silly. Petty. Stupid, even.

    If this is the kind of thing that bothers you, if this is what you sit
    and ponder in your idle time, you need to get a life.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    If you care about data options, it appears AT&T has cheaper rates for data.
    The assumption being that if you start with AT&T, that cingular
    will let you keep your old plan if you don't make changes.

    I tend to use SSH, and text for most of my stuff, so I don't need
    a lot of data, and getting the lowest per month cost for data would
    be of primary concern for me.

    -Dan

    PS: I'm with Verizon now, and stay mainly because they allow me to
    use data for the cost of minutes (which is reasonable to me in general).
    This also allows unlimited data use during off-peak. I too, am one
    of many frustrated by Verizon's lack of blue tooth. For me, their
    7135 palm phone with data cable meets most of my needs. I got
    it for $300 (which is still very high for a Palm OS 4 device) after a
    rebate.

    --
    Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
    http://cell.uoregon.edu

    "Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
    > international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
    > in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
    > is.
    >
    > Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
    >
    > I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
    > getting the 7 pm calling with both.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Not in all markets yet. In my hill tree covered neighborhood in
    Atlanta Cingular users get a strong 850 mhz signal whilw ATTWS people
    like me still get a very marginal 1900 mhz signal .

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:40:56 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

    >"Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
    >> international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
    >> in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
    >> is.
    >>
    >> Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
    >>
    >> I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
    >> getting the 7 pm calling with both.
    >
    >It doesn't matter. They use the same towers NOW, and they will both be
    >called Cingular soon. If you join ATT, you will be roaming (no charge) on
    >cingular towers until after the name changes to Cingular. If you join
    >Cingular, you will be roaming (no charge) on ATT towers until one day
    >"cingular extend" areas come up on your phone as simply "cingular". I
    >travel extensively in the US with Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at all.
    >I'd suggest you try Cingular, one of the world phones. -Dave

  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:15:37 GMT, nospam4me@nospam.com wrote:

    >Not in all markets yet. In my hill tree covered neighborhood in
    >Atlanta Cingular users get a strong 850 mhz signal whilw ATTWS people
    >like me still get a very marginal 1900 mhz signal .

    Well, geez, that might be because AT&T Wireless is not a cellular
    provider in Atlanta! The two cellular providers in Atlanta are
    Verizon and cingular.

    And if you think 800 Mhz is some magic bullet for reception you have
    another thing coming.

    >On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:40:56 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:
    >

    >>"Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
    >>> international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
    >>> in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
    >>> is.
    >>>
    >>> Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
    >>>
    >>> I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
    >>> getting the 7 pm calling with both.
    >>
    >>It doesn't matter. They use the same towers NOW, and they will both be
    >>called Cingular soon. If you join ATT, you will be roaming (no charge) on
    >>cingular towers until after the name changes to Cingular. If you join
    >>Cingular, you will be roaming (no charge) on ATT towers until one day
    >>"cingular extend" areas come up on your phone as simply "cingular". I
    >>travel extensively in the US with Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at all.
    >>I'd suggest you try Cingular, one of the world phones. -Dave

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    >Not in all markets yet. In my hill tree covered neighborhood in
    >Atlanta Cingular users get a strong 850 mhz signal whilw ATTWS people
    >like me still get a very marginal 1900 mhz signal .

    AT&T only has 1900 in Atlanta.

    --
    John S.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <2l6bbkF9d2oiU1@uni-berlin.de> on Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:40:56 -0400, "Dave C."
    <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

    >"Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
    >> international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
    >> in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
    >> is.
    >>
    >> Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
    >>
    >> I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
    >> getting the 7 pm calling with both.
    >
    >It doesn't matter. They use the same towers NOW,

    False, here in Northern California at least.

    >and they will both be
    >called Cingular soon.

    True.

    >If you join ATT, you will be roaming (no charge) on
    >cingular towers until after the name changes to Cingular. If you join
    >Cingular, you will be roaming (no charge) on ATT towers ...

    False, here in Northern California at least.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

    >"Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >> I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
    >> international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
    >> in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
    >> is.
    >>
    >> Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
    >>
    >> I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
    >> getting the 7 pm calling with both.
    >
    >It doesn't matter. They use the same towers NOW, and they will both be
    >called Cingular soon. If you join ATT, you will be roaming (no charge) on
    >cingular towers until after the name changes to Cingular. If you join
    >Cingular, you will be roaming (no charge) on ATT towers until one day
    >"cingular extend" areas come up on your phone as simply "cingular". ...

    That depends on where you are. Here in Northern California, Cingular
    subscribes are prohibited from roaming on ATTWS.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <ccmc0q$db5$1@butterfly.hjsoft.com> on Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:01:48 +0000
    (UTC), John M Flinchbaugh <glynis@butterfly.hjsoft.com> wrote:

    >Tony Clark <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> FYI...In the Seattle/Bellevue area my phone frequently says Cingular
    >even
    >> though I am an ATTWS customer.
    >
    >i've noticed recently that i roam onto cingular more often now,
    >but my gprs doesn't work then. it says something about the ASN
    >being incorrect.
    >
    >is it expected when roaming to have data work?

    Yes.

    >that's something to consider. if my attws phone is going to
    >start roaming more to cingular, it's not worth much to me if
    >data won't work.

    It should.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

Cingular At&T Verizon Internet Service Providers