cingular or att?

Last response: in Network Providers
July 8, 2004 9:48:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
is.

Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?

I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
getting the 7 pm calling with both.

More about : cingular att

Anonymous
July 9, 2004 1:40:56 AM

"Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 1f2c2cd.0407081648.78bf0773@posting.google.com...
> I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
> international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
> in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
> is.
>
> Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
>
> I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
> getting the 7 pm calling with both.

It doesn't matter. They use the same towers NOW, and they will both be
called Cingular soon. If you join ATT, you will be roaming (no charge) on
cingular towers until after the name changes to Cingular. If you join
Cingular, you will be roaming (no charge) on ATT towers until one day
"cingular extend" areas come up on your phone as simply "cingular". I
travel extensively in the US with Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at all.
I'd suggest you try Cingular, one of the world phones. -Dave
July 9, 2004 2:46:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Hi Cosmo,

I suggest you go through Amazon.com or letstalk.com to get the phone, you
will receive up to $200 back per phone. I say go with AWS because you will
get a better deal folded into Cingular later this year, you get a free phone
every year with one of their promotions. Anyway you can check all plans and
phone deals from a single site.

Ben

"Cosmo Kramer" <> wrote in message
news:D 1f2c2cd.0407081648.78bf0773@posting.google.com...
> I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
> international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
> in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
> is.
>
> Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
>
> I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
> getting the 7 pm calling with both.
Related resources
July 9, 2004 5:28:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Actually Verizon has or is due to get a CDMA/GSM (Europe only) phone for
just this reason. Why don't you call Verizon Wireless and check this out
before you switch?

Cosmo Kramer wrote:

> I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
> international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
> in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
> is.
>
> Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
>
> I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
> getting the 7 pm calling with both.
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 6:34:01 AM

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
SNIP

> It doesn't matter. They use the same towers NOW, and they will both be
> called Cingular soon. If you join ATT, you will be roaming (no charge) on
> cingular towers until after the name changes to Cingular. If you join
> Cingular, you will be roaming (no charge) on ATT towers until one day
> "cingular extend" areas come up on your phone as simply "cingular". I
> travel extensively in the US with Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at
all.
> I'd suggest you try Cingular, one of the world phones. -Dave

FYI...In the Seattle/Bellevue area my phone frequently says Cingular even
though I am an ATTWS customer.

You will need to make sure that the phone you get supports International
frequencies. For example the Sony Ericcson T68i does, but the SE 226 does
not.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 6:48:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Perhaps then the answer is go with the one who currently offers the best
deal/package. I am currently and AT&T customer. My contract will be up this
month. I want a new phone (have TDMA and want GSM) but don't want to be
stuck with a brand new phone that says AT&T if my new company will be
Cingular. I know this is petty and cosmetic but..... I'm also hoping that
there will be some good deals closer to the merger. Perhaps the merged
company will be releasing some new phones.

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D 1f2c2cd.0407081648.78bf0773@posting.google.com...
> > I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
> > international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
> > in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
> > is.
> >
> > Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
> >
> > I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
> > getting the 7 pm calling with both.
>
> It doesn't matter. They use the same towers NOW, and they will both be
> called Cingular soon. If you join ATT, you will be roaming (no charge) on
> cingular towers until after the name changes to Cingular. If you join
> Cingular, you will be roaming (no charge) on ATT towers until one day
> "cingular extend" areas come up on your phone as simply "cingular". I
> travel extensively in the US with Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at
all.
> I'd suggest you try Cingular, one of the world phones. -Dave

Anonymous
July 9, 2004 11:39:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message news:<2l6bbkF9d2oiU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> travel extensively in the US with Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at all.
> I'd suggest you try Cingular, one of the world phones. -Dave

thanks... that is what i am leaning towards to right now... the moto
v600 from amazon for 100 bucks after all the rebates
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 11:42:26 AM

"Ben" <ben14@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<6I-dna8IjrqPmnPdRVn_iw@adelphia.com>...
> Hi Cosmo,
>
> I suggest you go through Amazon.com or letstalk.com to get the phone, you
> will receive up to $200 back per phone. I say go with AWS because you will
> get a better deal folded into Cingular later this year, you get a free phone
> every year with one of their promotions. Anyway you can check all plans and
> phone deals from a single site.
>
> Ben

thanks... amazon is what i have been looking at.... leaning towards
moto v600 for 100 bucks from cingular or 50 bucks from att

also, if i go with att, i will pick the 2 year deal because i want to
get the 7 pm deal and those only come with 2 year deals
July 9, 2004 3:15:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I would suggest AT&T if you like the plan. As others suggest there is/will
be no difference in the service. If the merger follows the typical pattern
however AT&T customers will be given a choice whether to keep their plan or
merge to a Cingular plan, Cingular customers on the other hand will not get
& AT&T option. Therefore you would have more choices by going with AT&T
now.

Fred

"Compulady" <compulady@softhome.net> wrote in message
> Perhaps then the answer is go with the one who currently offers the best
> deal/package. I am currently and AT&T customer. My contract will be up
this
> month. I want a new phone (have TDMA and want GSM) but don't want to be
> stuck with a brand new phone that says AT&T if my new company will be
> Cingular. I know this is petty and cosmetic but..... I'm also hoping that
> there will be some good deals closer to the merger. Perhaps the merged
> company will be releasing some new phones.
>

> "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:D 1f2c2cd.0407081648.78bf0773@posting.google.com...
> > > I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
> > > international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
> > > in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
> > > is.
> > >
> > > Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
> > >
> > > I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
> > > getting the 7 pm calling with both.
> >
> > It doesn't matter. They use the same towers NOW, and they will both be
> > called Cingular soon. If you join ATT, you will be roaming (no charge)
on
> > cingular towers until after the name changes to Cingular. If you join
> > Cingular, you will be roaming (no charge) on ATT towers until one day
> > "cingular extend" areas come up on your phone as simply "cingular". I
> > travel extensively in the US with Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at
> all.
> > I'd suggest you try Cingular, one of the world phones. -Dave

Anonymous
July 9, 2004 10:06:29 PM

"John M Flinchbaugh" <glynis@butterfly.hjsoft.com> wrote in message
> Tony Clark <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > FYI...In the Seattle/Bellevue area my phone frequently says Cingular
> even
> > though I am an ATTWS customer.
>
> i've noticed recently that i roam onto cingular more often now,
> but my gprs doesn't work then. it says something about the ASN
> being incorrect.
>
> is it expected when roaming to have data work?
>
> that's something to consider. if my attws phone is going to
> start roaming more to cingular, it's not worth much to me if
> data won't work.

I am a cingular customer, and I still have gprs service when I roam
on to ATT coverage.

At least so far.

Bernard
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 1:45:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <d1f2c2cd.0407081648.78bf0773@posting.google.com>,
fb3003@gmail.com (Cosmo Kramer) wrote:

> I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
> international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
> in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
> is.
>
> Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
>
> I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
> getting the 7 pm calling with both.

It won't matter. Find the one that makes sense to you, and understand
that by the end of the year you'll be a Cingular customer.
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 1:46:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <_HnHc.12843$yy1.3674@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"Compulady" <compulady@softhome.net> wrote:

> I want a new phone (have TDMA and want GSM) but don't want to be
> stuck with a brand new phone that says AT&T if my new company will be
> Cingular.

That's just silly. Petty. Stupid, even.

If this is the kind of thing that bothers you, if this is what you sit
and ponder in your idle time, you need to get a life.
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 6:47:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

If you care about data options, it appears AT&T has cheaper rates for data.
The assumption being that if you start with AT&T, that cingular
will let you keep your old plan if you don't make changes.

I tend to use SSH, and text for most of my stuff, so I don't need
a lot of data, and getting the lowest per month cost for data would
be of primary concern for me.

-Dan

PS: I'm with Verizon now, and stay mainly because they allow me to
use data for the cost of minutes (which is reasonable to me in general).
This also allows unlimited data use during off-peak. I too, am one
of many frustrated by Verizon's lack of blue tooth. For me, their
7135 palm phone with data cable meets most of my needs. I got
it for $300 (which is still very high for a Palm OS 4 device) after a
rebate.

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

"Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 1f2c2cd.0407081648.78bf0773@posting.google.com...
>I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
> international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
> in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
> is.
>
> Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
>
> I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
> getting the 7 pm calling with both.
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 1:15:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Not in all markets yet. In my hill tree covered neighborhood in
Atlanta Cingular users get a strong 850 mhz signal whilw ATTWS people
like me still get a very marginal 1900 mhz signal .

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:40:56 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>"Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:D 1f2c2cd.0407081648.78bf0773@posting.google.com...
>> I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
>> international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
>> in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
>> is.
>>
>> Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
>>
>> I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
>> getting the 7 pm calling with both.
>
>It doesn't matter. They use the same towers NOW, and they will both be
>called Cingular soon. If you join ATT, you will be roaming (no charge) on
>cingular towers until after the name changes to Cingular. If you join
>Cingular, you will be roaming (no charge) on ATT towers until one day
>"cingular extend" areas come up on your phone as simply "cingular". I
>travel extensively in the US with Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at all.
>I'd suggest you try Cingular, one of the world phones. -Dave

July 12, 2004 2:36:03 PM

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:15:37 GMT, nospam4me@nospam.com wrote:

>Not in all markets yet. In my hill tree covered neighborhood in
>Atlanta Cingular users get a strong 850 mhz signal whilw ATTWS people
>like me still get a very marginal 1900 mhz signal .

Well, geez, that might be because AT&T Wireless is not a cellular
provider in Atlanta! The two cellular providers in Atlanta are
Verizon and cingular.

And if you think 800 Mhz is some magic bullet for reception you have
another thing coming.

>On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:40:56 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:
>

>>"Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:D 1f2c2cd.0407081648.78bf0773@posting.google.com...
>>> I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
>>> international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
>>> in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
>>> is.
>>>
>>> Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
>>>
>>> I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
>>> getting the 7 pm calling with both.
>>
>>It doesn't matter. They use the same towers NOW, and they will both be
>>called Cingular soon. If you join ATT, you will be roaming (no charge) on
>>cingular towers until after the name changes to Cingular. If you join
>>Cingular, you will be roaming (no charge) on ATT towers until one day
>>"cingular extend" areas come up on your phone as simply "cingular". I
>>travel extensively in the US with Cingular GSM Nation. No problems at all.
>>I'd suggest you try Cingular, one of the world phones. -Dave

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 9:33:58 PM

>Not in all markets yet. In my hill tree covered neighborhood in
>Atlanta Cingular users get a strong 850 mhz signal whilw ATTWS people
>like me still get a very marginal 1900 mhz signal .

AT&T only has 1900 in Atlanta.

--
John S.
August 3, 2004 3:45:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In <2l6bbkF9d2oiU1@uni-berlin.de> on Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:40:56 -0400, "Dave C."
<mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>"Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:D 1f2c2cd.0407081648.78bf0773@posting.google.com...
>> I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
>> international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
>> in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
>> is.
>>
>> Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
>>
>> I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
>> getting the 7 pm calling with both.
>
>It doesn't matter. They use the same towers NOW,

False, here in Northern California at least.

>and they will both be
>called Cingular soon.

True.

>If you join ATT, you will be roaming (no charge) on
>cingular towers until after the name changes to Cingular. If you join
>Cingular, you will be roaming (no charge) on ATT towers ...

False, here in Northern California at least.

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

<mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>"Cosmo Kramer" <fb3003@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:D 1f2c2cd.0407081648.78bf0773@posting.google.com...

>> I am leaving verizon and need to get on a GSM service due to
>> international travel. Also I travel greatly in US, so good reception
>> in a single state is not that important to me, but the overall picture
>> is.
>>
>> Which service do you guys suggest: att or cingular?
>>
>> I will be going for plans that are above 60 bucks, so i will be
>> getting the 7 pm calling with both.
>
>It doesn't matter. They use the same towers NOW, and they will both be
>called Cingular soon. If you join ATT, you will be roaming (no charge) on
>cingular towers until after the name changes to Cingular. If you join
>Cingular, you will be roaming (no charge) on ATT towers until one day
>"cingular extend" areas come up on your phone as simply "cingular". ...

That depends on where you are. Here in Northern California, Cingular
subscribes are prohibited from roaming on ATTWS.

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 8:46:03 AM

In <ccmc0q$db5$1@butterfly.hjsoft.com> on Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:01:48 +0000
(UTC), John M Flinchbaugh <glynis@butterfly.hjsoft.com> wrote:

>Tony Clark <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> FYI...In the Seattle/Bellevue area my phone frequently says Cingular
>even
>> though I am an ATTWS customer.
>
>i've noticed recently that i roam onto cingular more often now,
>but my gprs doesn't work then. it says something about the ASN
>being incorrect.
>
>is it expected when roaming to have data work?

Yes.

>that's something to consider. if my attws phone is going to
>start roaming more to cingular, it's not worth much to me if
>data won't work.

It should.

--
!