8KNXP Rev 1 shutdown

Anyone with Windows SP2 and a powerdown problem?
4 answers Last reply
More about 8knxp shutdown

    On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:31:02 -0700, "MarcusMD"
    <Marcus_MD@yagoohotmail.net> waffled on about something:

    >Anyone with Windows SP2 and a powerdown problem?

    Nope, shutdown continues to works fine for me with XP SP2. I'm running
    a rather old rev 6 (something beta) bios.

    D0d6y.
    --
    MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

    Ok. I had F6 also, and went to F10 to see if that would fix the problem.
    It didn't. Here's my problem: After a clean install of XP Pro with SP2
    slipstreamed, the PC will not powerdown...windows shuts down ok but
    the power supply keeps running. The screen is black. When I look in dev
    manager there are no references of any kind to ACPI (normally under
    System). ACPI = Advanced Configuration & Power Interface.

    If I reformatand reinstall, and hit F5 when it says hit F6, then select "Multi-
    processor ACPI", all is well; there are ACPI entries in device manager and
    it powers down okay. [The F5 thing is to manually select ACPI when
    XP doesn't properly recognize the mobo as being ACPI compliant.]

    It must be a quirk in my board. So that fix is easy enough, but, I have to
    also hit F6 like a boogie woogie player to load the Intel chipset drivers or
    setup will not see the SATA drive. I asked Gigabyte about this problem
    and they replied..."don't use SP2, use SP1".

    "Dodgy" <Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message
    > Nope, shutdown continues to works fine for me with XP SP2. I'm running
    > a rather old rev 6 (something beta) bios.

    I've heard of a few.
    People have reported things like:

    Ext USB drives / devices,
    Windows Update,
    Clear Page File on shutdown,

    and others causing issues. Try turning each of these off in turn. If you
    have not enabled the clear page file option, then it won't be an issue. Mine
    is not that quick, but then the system started as XP, SP1, repair SP1, SP2
    RC1, revert to SP1, RC2 SP2, SP2, so I am realistic and expect some
    ssues -only a slightly slow shutdown with WU turned off.

    - Tim

    "MarcusMD" <Marcus_MD@yagoohotmail.net> wrote in message
    > Anyone with Windows SP2 and a powerdown problem?

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > It must be a quirk in my board. So that fix is easy enough, but, I have
    > also hit F6 like a boogie woogie player to load the Intel chipset drivers
    > or
    > setup will not see the SATA drive.

    Marcus, I have the same board with f10 bios and am having no trouble at all
    with SP2, so far, which was installed last night. I even managed to get rid
    of the Security Center icon on the tray, as I like to keep tray items to a
    minimum.

    > I asked Gigabyte about this problem and they replied..."don't use SP2, use
    > SP1".

    What an incredibly stupid and uninformed answer from Gigabyte! I suppose
    this is in line with many OEM's that try to blame everybody else for
    problems, regardless of the veracity of such claims. Are we expected to
    keep SP1 on our computers forever? Besides, Windows Update may not provide
    future security updates without SP2 on the system.

Gigabyte Shutdown Motherboards