hard disk cloning: PATA to SATA

Hi All,

Is it possible to clone a PATA hdd to SATA disk?

Regards, Rohit
5 answers Last reply
More about hard disk cloning pata sata

    yes..........but you'd better partition that Sata so that the clone is being
    cloned to same size or slightly larger
    peter
    "Rohit" <rohitsahib@digitalanand.net> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Is it possible to clone a PATA hdd to SATA disk?
    >
    > Regards, Rohit

    My experience is that it can be much larger.
    At least with Drive Image or Ghost 9.

    But if the SATA disk is probably going to be the
    boot disk, a repair of Windows installation
    was required. No need to reinstall.

    "peter" <peter@nomalarky.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
    uGxUdcB2EHA.3324@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > yes..........but you'd better partition that Sata so that the clone is
    > being cloned to same size or slightly larger
    > peter
    > "Rohit" <rohitsahib@digitalanand.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Is it possible to clone a PATA hdd to SATA disk?
    >>
    >> Regards, Rohit

    Sorry to disagree with the other responses, but the answer is not
    necessarily.

    I recently was not able to do this on a new ASUS mb - not with Norton
    Ghost 2003. Perhaps some other software would work, but Ghost would
    not find the SATA and would not clone.

    Peter

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 21:20:50 +0530, "Rohit"
    <rohitsahib@digitalanand.net> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >Is it possible to clone a PATA hdd to SATA disk?
    >
    >Regards, Rohit

    I don't think Ghost 2003 finds tha SATA drives, but version 9.0 (2005)
    should find them...

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Peter Kaufman" <pmkdatabase_@_yahoo_dot_ca> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Sorry to disagree with the other responses, but the answer is not
    > necessarily.
    >
    > I recently was not able to do this on a new ASUS mb - not with Norton
    > Ghost 2003. Perhaps some other software would work, but Ghost would
    > not find the SATA and would not clone.
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 21:20:50 +0530, "Rohit"
    > <rohitsahib@digitalanand.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi All,
    > >
    > >Is it possible to clone a PATA hdd to SATA disk?
    > >
    > >Regards, Rohit

    "Rohit" <rohitsahib@digitalanand.net> wrote in message
    | Hi All,
    |
    | Is it possible to clone a PATA hdd to SATA disk?

    Yes, I cloned a 160gb PATA boot disk to a 36gb SATA Raptor with no trouble.
    Using an ICH5R on-chip controller on an Intel 875-chipset mobo, I followed
    this procedure.

    1. Download latest SATA drivers from mobo mfr. and load them on a floppy.

    2. Enable the SATA controller and RAID mode (for possible later use) in the
    bios, but do not attach the unformated SATA drive yet.

    3. Boot into XP and when new hardware (SATA controller) is detected it will
    ask for drivers, whence you will point to the floppy disk you have created.

    4. With the new controller having been installed, reboot into Norton Ghost
    2003 via PCDOS and clone the new drive from the old. There is no need to
    format the new SATA drive before hand.

    5. Enter bios and set the new SATA drive as your boot device. You should
    then be able to boot into XP with the new SATA drive.

    This procedure worked flawlessly for me. I later attached another 36gb
    Raptor and am now running in RAID0 mode.

Hardware SATA Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP