hard disk cloning: PATA to SATA

peter

yes..........but you'd better partition that Sata so that the clone is being
cloned to same size or slightly larger
peter
"Rohit" <rohitsahib@digitalanand.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Is it possible to clone a PATA hdd to SATA disk?
>
> Regards, Rohit

gf

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

My experience is that it can be much larger.
At least with Drive Image or Ghost 9.

But if the SATA disk is probably going to be the
boot disk, a repair of Windows installation
was required. No need to reinstall.

"peter" <peter@nomalarky.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
uGxUdcB2EHA.3324@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> yes..........but you'd better partition that Sata so that the clone is
> being cloned to same size or slightly larger
> peter
> "Rohit" <rohitsahib@digitalanand.net> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is it possible to clone a PATA hdd to SATA disk?
>>
>> Regards, Rohit

Sorry to disagree with the other responses, but the answer is not
necessarily.

I recently was not able to do this on a new ASUS mb - not with Norton
Ghost 2003. Perhaps some other software would work, but Ghost would
not find the SATA and would not clone.

Peter

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 21:20:50 +0530, "Rohit"
<rohitsahib@digitalanand.net> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Is it possible to clone a PATA hdd to SATA disk?
>
>Regards, Rohit

I don't think Ghost 2003 finds tha SATA drives, but version 9.0 (2005)
should find them...

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Peter Kaufman" <pmkdatabase_@_yahoo_dot_ca> kirjoitti viestissä
> Sorry to disagree with the other responses, but the answer is not
> necessarily.
>
> I recently was not able to do this on a new ASUS mb - not with Norton
> Ghost 2003. Perhaps some other software would work, but Ghost would
> not find the SATA and would not clone.
>
> Peter
>

> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 21:20:50 +0530, "Rohit"
> <rohitsahib@digitalanand.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >Is it possible to clone a PATA hdd to SATA disk?
> >
> >Regards, Rohit

"Rohit" <rohitsahib@digitalanand.net> wrote in message
| Hi All,
|
| Is it possible to clone a PATA hdd to SATA disk?

Yes, I cloned a 160gb PATA boot disk to a 36gb SATA Raptor with no trouble.
Using an ICH5R on-chip controller on an Intel 875-chipset mobo, I followed
this procedure.

1. Download latest SATA drivers from mobo mfr. and load them on a floppy.

2. Enable the SATA controller and RAID mode (for possible later use) in the
bios, but do not attach the unformated SATA drive yet.

3. Boot into XP and when new hardware (SATA controller) is detected it will
ask for drivers, whence you will point to the floppy disk you have created.

4. With the new controller having been installed, reboot into Norton Ghost
2003 via PCDOS and clone the new drive from the old. There is no need to
format the new SATA drive before hand.

5. Enter bios and set the new SATA drive as your boot device. You should
then be able to boot into XP with the new SATA drive.

This procedure worked flawlessly for me. I later attached another 36gb
Raptor and am now running in RAID0 mode.