Mouse and Keyboard in SP2 won't wake machine from standby ..

December 1, 2004 12:12:59 PM

This is on two clean SP2 Home and Pro installs - same problem.
Power management properties aren't even available on the USB mouse and
keyboard, despite ACPI being enabled, and power management properties being
available on USB root hub and other places.

The machine does standby, and enters into standby successfully from the
keyboard. It almost seems as if the machine is set right now to *not* send
voltage to the USB keyboard and mouse when in standby right now. When in
standby (STR), there are no power lights when there used to be.

Any ideas on any registry hacks to get my keyboard and mouse to show 'Power
Management' settings in the control panels to allow me to set them to be
able
to Wake up from standby?

By the way I double checked on both machines - yes, Wake on keyboard/mouse
in BIOS is enabled, as it always was. These machines used to have SP1
running and worked perfectly with this feature.

Any ideas?
December 17, 2004 10:23:48 AM

Had the same problem:

Looks like Microsoft switched S3 off for USB devices in Win XP SP2

Add the Registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usb
"USBBIOSx"=DWORD:00000000

After reboot you should see power tabs on the usb devices

Here is the full microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841858

Hope this helps

--