Outrun question (kind of historical)

Hi, all. Back in the late 80's, my brother and I had an "Outrun
summer" when we played the game (the big sitdown version) a LOT. Now
we're comparing our memories with Outrun on MAME, and we both think the
version we played in the arcade had some courses that aren't in any of
the ROMs available now. Specifically, there was a course with ice on
the road, a night-time course (much darker than the one you drive after
taking two lefts and a right, and possibly following it), and a course
in the last stage with a longer, steeper uphill section than anything
you encounter today in MAME. Does anyone else who played in the arcade
back then remember such variations, or know how likely it was that such
variations even existed? Or are my brother and I probably both
delusional?

Regards,
Sam

On 2/17/2005 3:33 AM, Sam Carmean wrote:
> Hi, all. Back in the late 80's, my brother and I had an "Outrun
> summer" when we played the game (the big sitdown version) a LOT. Now
> we're comparing our memories with Outrun on MAME, and we both think the
> version we played in the arcade had some courses that aren't in any of
> the ROMs available now. Specifically, there was a course with ice on
> the road, a night-time course (much darker than the one you drive after
> taking two lefts and a right, and possibly following it), and a course
> in the last stage with a longer, steeper uphill section than anything
> you encounter today in MAME. Does anyone else who played in the arcade
> back then remember such variations, or know how likely it was that such
> variations even existed? Or are my brother and I probably both
> delusional?
>
> Regards,
> Sam

I can't help with your questions but since you are an outrun expert
maybe you can help me out. I can't seem to get past the 2nd stage. The
closest I can get is to the 'Y' at the end of the 2nd stage. Do you have
any hints that can get me past it? Is there a turbo mode or something
other than a hi/lo shifter? My speed never tops about 293.

Thanks

In article <cv1tm2$1o84$1@news.cybercity.dk>, Sune Salminen
<salminen@monkeydoktor.dk> wrote:

> Sam Carmean wrote:
> > Hi, all. Back in the late 80's, my brother and I had an "Outrun
> > summer" when we played the game (the big sitdown version) a LOT. Now
> > we're comparing our memories with Outrun on MAME, and we both think
> > the version we played in the arcade had some courses that aren't in
> > any of the ROMs available now. Specifically, there was a course with
> > ice on the road, a night-time course (much darker than the one you
> > drive after taking two lefts and a right, and possibly following it),
> > and a course in the last stage with a longer, steeper uphill section
> > than anything you encounter today in MAME. Does anyone else who
> > played in the arcade back then remember such variations, or know how
> > likely it was that such variations even existed? Or are my brother
> > and I probably both delusional?
>
> Could you have been playing Turbo Outrun?
> It was sold as an upgrade kit for Outrun, and could have been in an
> Outrun sitdown cabinet I guess.
>
> -Sune

I checked, and unless there was an upgrade that kept the original-style
graphics and the "five stages, four forks in the road" gameplay, it was
definitely Outrun (1986). I'm just not sure how much our recollection
about the different courses should be trusted. :)

Sam

In article <262Rd.117$NK2.14@fe07.lga>, Mike Campbell
<nobody@nowhere.org> wrote:

> On 2/17/2005 3:33 AM, Sam Carmean wrote:
> > Hi, all. Back in the late 80's, my brother and I had an "Outrun
> > summer" when we played the game (the big sitdown version) a LOT. Now
> > we're comparing our memories with Outrun on MAME, and we both think the
> > version we played in the arcade had some courses that aren't in any of
> > the ROMs available now. Specifically, there was a course with ice on
> > the road, a night-time course (much darker than the one you drive after
> > taking two lefts and a right, and possibly following it), and a course
> > in the last stage with a longer, steeper uphill section than anything
> > you encounter today in MAME. Does anyone else who played in the arcade
> > back then remember such variations, or know how likely it was that such
> > variations even existed? Or are my brother and I probably both
> > delusional?
>
> I can't help with your questions but since you are an outrun expert
> maybe you can help me out. I can't seem to get past the 2nd stage. The
> closest I can get is to the 'Y' at the end of the 2nd stage. Do you have
> any hints that can get me past it? Is there a turbo mode or something
> other than a hi/lo shifter? My speed never tops about 293.

"Outrun expert!" Man, that's gratifying to hear. 293 is as fast as
you can go in high gear; if you stay up close to that most of the time
and don't crash, you should be able to reach the third stage with no
trouble. There are a few curves where it's wise to slow down a little,
but you can get through most of them at full speed if you're confident
enough to steer around the traffic.

So: Memorize each course you drive on well enough to anticipate the
route ahead; position yourself properly going into the curves (as much
as the other traffic allows); then push yourself on each curve until
you learn from trial and error how fast you can go under ideal
conditions. Adjust to conditions that are less than ideal by going a
little slower than that. :)

There's also a dipswitch in the Outrun settings menu that controls how
much time is added as you finish each stage. The MAME default is
Normal, but if yours got changed to Hard or Hardest you have less
margin for error.

Good luck!
Sam

"Mike Campbell" <nobody@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> On 2/17/2005 3:33 AM, Sam Carmean wrote:
>> Hi, all. Back in the late 80's, my brother and I had an "Outrun
>> summer" when we played the game (the big sitdown version) a LOT. Now
>> we're comparing our memories with Outrun on MAME, and we both think the
>> version we played in the arcade had some courses that aren't in any of
>> the ROMs available now. Specifically, there was a course with ice on
>> the road, a night-time course (much darker than the one you drive after
>> taking two lefts and a right, and possibly following it), and a course
>> in the last stage with a longer, steeper uphill section than anything
>> you encounter today in MAME. Does anyone else who played in the arcade
>> back then remember such variations, or know how likely it was that such
>> variations even existed? Or are my brother and I probably both
>> delusional?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sam
>
> I can't help with your questions but since you are an outrun expert maybe
> you can help me out. I can't seem to get past the 2nd stage. The closest I
> can get is to the 'Y' at the end of the 2nd stage. Do you have any hints
> that can get me past it? Is there a turbo mode or something other than a
> hi/lo shifter? My speed never tops about 293.
>
> Thanks

Adjust one of the dip switches in the TAB menu and set the game to easy.

"Sam Carmean" <sam@netset.corn> wrote in message
> In article <cv1tm2$1o84$1@news.cybercity.dk>, Sune Salminen
> <salminen@monkeydoktor.dk> wrote:
>
> > Sam Carmean wrote:
> > > Hi, all. Back in the late 80's, my brother and I had an "Outrun
> > > summer" when we played the game (the big sitdown version) a LOT. Now
> > > we're comparing our memories with Outrun on MAME, and we both think
> > > the version we played in the arcade had some courses that aren't in
> > > any of the ROMs available now. Specifically, there was a course with
> > > ice on the road, a night-time course (much darker than the one you
> > > drive after taking two lefts and a right, and possibly following it),
> > > and a course in the last stage with a longer, steeper uphill section
> > > than anything you encounter today in MAME. Does anyone else who
> > > played in the arcade back then remember such variations, or know how
> > > likely it was that such variations even existed? Or are my brother
> > > and I probably both delusional?
> >
> > Could you have been playing Turbo Outrun?
> > It was sold as an upgrade kit for Outrun, and could have been in an
> > Outrun sitdown cabinet I guess.
> >
> > -Sune
>
> I checked, and unless there was an upgrade that kept the original-style
> graphics and the "five stages, four forks in the road" gameplay, it was
> definitely Outrun (1986). I'm just not sure how much our recollection
> about the different courses should be trusted. :)

could be Out Run(Deluxe) try the other rom versions.
outrun Out Run (set 3)
outrun2 Out Run (set 2)
outrun1 Out Run (set 1, Deluxe)
outrunb Out Run (bootleg)

> Hi, all. Back in the late 80's, my brother and I had an "Outrun
> summer" when we played the game (the big sitdown version) a LOT. Now
> we're comparing our memories with Outrun on MAME, and we both think the
> version we played in the arcade had some courses that aren't in any of
> the ROMs available now. Specifically, there was a course with ice on
> the road, a night-time course (much darker than the one you drive after
> taking two lefts and a right, and possibly following it), and a course
> in the last stage with a longer, steeper uphill section than anything
> you encounter today in MAME. Does anyone else who played in the arcade
> back then remember such variations, or know how likely it was that such
> variations even existed? Or are my brother and I probably both
> delusional?
>
> Regards,
> Sam

The Japanese vesion of Outrun had the same levels, in a different order, but
apart from that, I think you are suffering jaded retro videogame memory
syndrome, and getting your memories confused with turbo, which did have
night and snow stages. It happens to us all sometimes.

'Ski

--
http://mentski.noelstilllovesyou.co.uk http://www.noelstilllovesyou.co.uk
"The rest of the site is vile", Matt Kelly, The Mirror