Internet Explorer Rumored to be Heading to Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think I speak for everyone here when I say "Hell yes!" Just what I needed to entice me to use a console controller (don't have Kinect) to navigate the web (as if my phone, with good controls/interface, isn't already available in the living room...): the incredible web browser that is Internet Explorer!

/sarcasm

gavenr

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I would rather have Opera .. but IE would probably be my second choice... Probably since Firefox always has updates and google chrome is not layed out the way i like.

Also why do this now, I stopped playing consoles 2 years ago when I felt like they should have updated the hardware.. Waiting patiently for the XBOX 720..

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Frankly it never made sense why the Xbox 360 -- which is PC-like in so many ways -- never allowed users to surf the Internet.
XBOX Live has never been down for a month because it got hacked. I like the walled garden that it is. If I want to check stuff out on the internet, I have multiple computers and phones.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]unionoob[/nom]I think they should let people to use Windows phone as keyboard for typing.[/citation]

You can actually. It has the Xbox Companion app which lets you control your Xbox from your phone.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Wow there's some serious love for Internet Explorer going on here based on all the downvoting.You guys need to stop living in the dark ages of internet browsing and move on to Firefox/Chrome/etc. IE really is the bottom of the barrel in just about every respect.[/citation]

Seriously, you must have not used IE in a long time. IE9 is up to par with Google and Firefox.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]Kevin Parrish[/nom]Now that the Xbox 360 subsidized bundle is out of the bag and disappointing gamers nationwide[/citation]
I'm pretty sure I've told you to stick to the facts Kevin. Why would gamers be disappointed of a subsidized Xbox? What in this can possibly hinder their gaming experience?

I think IE on the Xbox is an "okay" idea. No more, no less. Every device out there have a direct access to the web : computers, tablets, phones. Even the PS3 had this since 2006. It's a "me too" move. The experience won't be awkward, but it won't be fluid either. At least, maybe MS will make it easier to use a keyboard/mouse on Xbox.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]headscratcher[/nom]XBOX Live has never been down for a month because it got hacked. I like the walled garden that it is. If I want to check stuff out on the internet, I have multiple computers and phones.[/citation]

So.. . . dumb. . . don't know. . . where. . . to begin. . . mockery. . .

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Seriously, you must not have used Chrome or Firefox in a long time. IE9 is not up to par with Google and Firefox. Like I said, people who use IE are people who like living in the web browsing dark ages.You IE fans need to read some more up to date articles.That was in February and both Chrome and Firefox have continued to improve since then.Downvote all you like, it doesn't make Internet Explorer any less of a lousy browser.[/citation]

I don't know what but using all 3 service, they render my page and at the same speed (less than 1 second). IE takes less than 1 second to start up. I don't care for browser benchmark. I care for real world speed. All of my website loads properly and I get to quickly access them from the taskbar using pin website. People should stop looking at benchmarks and start using it themselves to see which on they feel suits their need. Just don't go around saying IE is not up to par because having all 3 run side to side, they feel the same.

3dsmaxusr01

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
The ChatPad for the xbox gamepad would work for IE.
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Who wants to browse the internet on their Xbox 360? Without a keyboard, it's pointless...[/citation]

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
This is good news!

Obviously a site like this one would not be something you'd want to view on your big screen in the living room... but, web video content is actually something people want on their consoles.

Currently, the Xbox360 and PS3 are limited to a handful of dedicated apps for their ability to stream video from the web. Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Youtube apps, among others (like Amazon, Vudu, etc etc). But, what about the rest of the web? The Xbox360 currently has no browser, and the PS3 browser isn't usable. Meaning, tough luck.

As a side effect, if Microsoft puts out a decent browser it might force Sony to do the same.

G

Well great, prepare for malware and Trojans infecting Xbox360s in the near future !

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I worry about parental controls if this does come true. Games and official Microsoft content are much easier when it comes to monitoring and stopping your kids from getting into things you don't want them to. But when you have a browser that is capable of surfing the internet even the best parental controls
are heavily flawed for browsers. I would hope that this feature is possible to block entirely.

Robopolo

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
An already crappy browser on a system that is not your average pc...
I dont use half of the apps of the xbox 360 anyway why would I want a browser?

freedom4556

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
You do realize that "ignore the benchmarks!" is the rallying cry for fanboys of inferior products everywhere, right?
But there are things that you can't benchmark, such as the convenience factor of IE coming with Windows and being well-integrated with the taskbar and other Windows 7 features. No, it's not objective, but nothing ever is.

theoneknownasnalyd

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Ever try to use the Opera Browser for Wii? Or the Web-kit based browser on PS3/PSP/PSVita? Not fun. The only thing that *might* give the Xbox360 the browsing advantage over its console browsing peers would be Flash support; however, that is unlikely to be added. Just look at Internet Explorer 10 Beta's Metro app; no plugins whatsoever. Moreover, compared to more recent web-kit browsers, IE's Trident renderer is inferior. The only saving grace is that this version of IE would likely be the most secure version of IE; let's face it: Xbox doesn't run Windows, and it is powered by a PowerPC processor (unless you're running Mac OS Classic, there are no PPC binary viruses for modern computers). Honestly, the concept of browsing from your couch only makes sense if you do not have a working computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS