All drives except HDD are inaccessible

XP Home, SP2, scanned as virus free.

Recently all my drives except the HDD have stopped working completely. One
day they were all fine and then they started not working for no apparent
reason. The floppy, DVD, CD\RW, USB card reader and USB pen are all there
and 'working properly' according to system manager. The DVD and CD and
floppy all show up in the BIOS. The DVD and CD drives are brand new.
Uninstalling them and leaving XP to find them makes no difference. They spin
but will not open, nor will they show contents using 'Explore', but the
drives do show up on 'My Computer'. They all have the latest drivers.
Obviously, I can't even run my XP setup disk to try to repair Windows either!

Any help would be much appreciated - I've reached the bottom of my rather
shallow well of knowledge!

oldun wrote:
> XP Home, SP2, scanned as virus free.
>
> Recently all my drives except the HDD have stopped working
> completely. One day they were all fine and then they started not
> working for no apparent reason. The floppy, DVD, CD\RW, USB card
> reader and USB pen are all there and 'working properly' according to
> system manager. The DVD and CD and floppy all show up in the BIOS.
> The DVD and CD drives are brand new. Uninstalling them and leaving XP
> to find them makes no difference. They spin but will not open, nor
> will they show contents using 'Explore', but the drives do show up on
> 'My Computer'. They all have the latest drivers. Obviously, I can't
> even run my XP setup disk to try to repair Windows either!
>
> Any help would be much appreciated - I've reached the bottom of my
> rather shallow well of knowledge!

Have you tried safe mode?

Thanks for replying.
Tried Safe Mode. The floppy, CDRW and DVD drives all work fine. The USB
card reader is 'seen' and appears in Explorer, but does not read the card.
The USB pen is not even 'seen' and does not appear in Explorer.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> oldun wrote:
> > XP Home, SP2, scanned as virus free.
> >
> > Recently all my drives except the HDD have stopped working
> > completely. One day they were all fine and then they started not
> > working for no apparent reason. The floppy, DVD, CD\RW, USB card
> > reader and USB pen are all there and 'working properly' according to
> > system manager. The DVD and CD and floppy all show up in the BIOS.
> > The DVD and CD drives are brand new. Uninstalling them and leaving XP
> > to find them makes no difference. They spin but will not open, nor
> > will they show contents using 'Explore', but the drives do show up on
> > 'My Computer'. They all have the latest drivers. Obviously, I can't
> > even run my XP setup disk to try to repair Windows either!
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated - I've reached the bottom of my
> > rather shallow well of knowledge!
>
> Have you tried safe mode?

Maybe this is it?

"Incorrect function" error message when you access the CD-ROM drive, the
DVD-ROM drive, or the CD-RW drive
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315350

oldun wrote:

> Thanks for replying.
> Tried Safe Mode. The floppy, CDRW and DVD drives all work fine. The USB
> card reader is 'seen' and appears in Explorer, but does not read the card.
> The USB pen is not even 'seen' and does not appear in Explorer.
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>

>>oldun wrote:
>>
>>>XP Home, SP2, scanned as virus free.
>>>
>>>Recently all my drives except the HDD have stopped working
>>>completely. One day they were all fine and then they started not
>>>working for no apparent reason. The floppy, DVD, CD\RW, USB card
>>>reader and USB pen are all there and 'working properly' according to
>>>system manager. The DVD and CD and floppy all show up in the BIOS.
>>>The DVD and CD drives are brand new. Uninstalling them and leaving XP
>>>to find them makes no difference. They spin but will not open, nor
>>>will they show contents using 'Explore', but the drives do show up on
>>>'My Computer'. They all have the latest drivers. Obviously, I can't
>>>even run my XP setup disk to try to repair Windows either!
>>>
>>>Any help would be much appreciated - I've reached the bottom of my
>>>rather shallow well of knowledge!
>>>
>>Have you tried safe mode?

Thanks for the suggestion Bob. My fault - I should have mentioned in my
first post that I had tried the MS KBs. I've removed all CD writing software
from my PC. I can't find anywhere in the KBs, or any other place on the web,
that covers the problem of all drives not being accessible except in Safe
Mode.

"Bob I" wrote:

> Maybe this is it?
>
> "Incorrect function" error message when you access the CD-ROM drive, the
> DVD-ROM drive, or the CD-RW drive
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315350
>
> oldun wrote:
>
> > Thanks for replying.
> > Tried Safe Mode. The floppy, CDRW and DVD drives all work fine. The USB
> > card reader is 'seen' and appears in Explorer, but does not read the card.
> > The USB pen is not even 'seen' and does not appear in Explorer.

> >>Have you tried safe mode?

Other possibility is the Antivirus program. Norton AutoProtect, disable it.

oldun wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion Bob. My fault - I should have mentioned in my
> first post that I had tried the MS KBs. I've removed all CD writing software
> from my PC. I can't find anywhere in the KBs, or any other place on the web,
> that covers the problem of all drives not being accessible except in Safe
> Mode.
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>Maybe this is it?
>>
>>"Incorrect function" error message when you access the CD-ROM drive, the
>>DVD-ROM drive, or the CD-RW drive
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315350
>>
>>oldun wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks for replying.
>>>Tried Safe Mode. The floppy, CDRW and DVD drives all work fine. The USB
>>>card reader is 'seen' and appears in Explorer, but does not read the card.
>>>The USB pen is not even 'seen' and does not appear in Explorer.

I have the exact same problem on my computer.

Hopefully someone will have a good answer for us both!

--
packin pastor

RRK

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2005

packin pastor wrote:
> *I have the exact same problem on my computer.
>
> Hopefully someone will have a good answer for us both! *
Had the same problem after applying updates from microsoft for XP, or
maybe after running Nero CD burner once.
I got the CD &CDR drives working by changing the secondary IDE
controller to "PIO mode only". It was a shot in the dark that
worked.
Of course, I cannot do that on the floppy, and it is still "incorrect
function - drive inaccessible". Any ideas ?

--
rrk

Hello rrk and packin pastor
My problem was resolved when I removed my Cd burner software. I had Nero, I
believe it was called In-CD, as well as Roxio. Try to remove them, as at
least one of them seems to conflict with XP Service pack 2 (That's when I
started having problems). If that helps, find another CD burner SW. Hope it
helps you!
Regards

"rrk" wrote:

> packin pastor wrote:
> > *I have the exact same problem on my computer.
> >
> > Hopefully someone will have a good answer for us both! *
> Had the same problem after applying updates from microsoft for XP, or
> maybe after running Nero CD burner once.
> I got the CD &CDR drives working by changing the secondary IDE
> controller to "PIO mode only". It was a shot in the dark that
> worked.
> Of course, I cannot do that on the floppy, and it is still "incorrect
> function - drive inaccessible". Any ideas ?
>

> --
> rrk

I've had this problem a few times and it always seems to be InCD, which
is a program that runs along side Nero. It's something to do with the
fact that the version of InCD you are running isn't compatible with
windows XP. This fault has usually occured when I've installed updates
from Windows, but last week it was caused by installing faulty RAM into
my pc. Basically I uninstalled InCD (and Nero to be safe),
re-installed Nero and then downloaded the most recent version of InCD.
It seems to have fixed the fault, although my floppy drive isn't showing
up in My Computer.

--
wigan_ukmale
wigan_ukmale's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=7713

Anybody find a solution to the floppy drive issue yet? And thanks for the
info on Nero and InCD!! At least I have part of my problem solved.