GeForce 6800 Ultra woes

My XP Pro SP1 OS has slowed down since I installed a new video card.

Hardware config:

P4 3.06GHz HT cpu on Gigabyte GA-8S648-L MoBo
1 GB Crucial PC3200 SDRAM
Quantum Fireball 60 GB ATA 100 HDD
Seagate Ultra 160 17 GB SCSI HDD
Seagate Ultra 160 9.2 GB SCSI HDD
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Gamer with .441 Drivers
eVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra video card with 67.02 drivers
Newly installed prior to install of new card, a Thermaltake PurePower
Butterfly 480 watt PFC Active psu, which worked well the past few days
on my old 5950 Leadtek A380 Ultra card.

Problem:

My system has slowed down considerably, from boot time to opening
Explorer or Control Panel since the install of the new card which eVGA
says has to have a minimum of a 450 watt psu.

Ideas?

Your reference to slowing down is only based on BOOT time? Did you
uninstall the old video card drivers before installing the new video
card? In other words did you follow the instalation instrucions so as
not to have the operating system loading old drivers with the new system.

Steve Marshall wrote:

> My XP Pro SP1 OS has slowed down since I installed a new video card.
>
> Hardware config:
>
> P4 3.06GHz HT cpu on Gigabyte GA-8S648-L MoBo
> 1 GB Crucial PC3200 SDRAM
> Quantum Fireball 60 GB ATA 100 HDD
> Seagate Ultra 160 17 GB SCSI HDD
> Seagate Ultra 160 9.2 GB SCSI HDD
> Creative Audigy 2 ZS Gamer with .441 Drivers
> eVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra video card with 67.02 drivers
> Newly installed prior to install of new card, a Thermaltake PurePower
> Butterfly 480 watt PFC Active psu, which worked well the past few days
> on my old 5950 Leadtek A380 Ultra card.
>
> Problem:
>
> My system has slowed down considerably, from boot time to opening
> Explorer or Control Panel since the install of the new card which eVGA
> says has to have a minimum of a 450 watt psu.
>
> Ideas?

Ah, the OP STATED the PSU was replaced with a larger POWER SUPPLY.

krishnakanth wrote:

> thats the prime requirement for your Graphic card, you will have to
> upgrade/change your POWER supply.

Yes, Bob, I did the uninstall using Driver Cleaner 3 and when I rebooted
it found the new card, I canceled the auto install and I manually
installed the new 67.02 drivers from nVidia FTP site.

No, the slowdown is across the board - from opening windows, a new Word
..doc, everything.

Also, some things are missing like WMI - cannot open Event Viewer to see
what is happening at boot up. I can open Services and everything looks
OK there, but System Information is unavailable.

I am thinking about a Repair Install (not a recovery) to see if there
are some files missing.

Overall the card works great - HL2 is amazing with this card, all
settings maxxed out at 1280x1024.

What do you think I ought to do?

Steve

Bob I wrote:
> Your reference to slowing down is only based on BOOT time? Did you
> uninstall the old video card drivers before installing the new video
> card? In other words did you follow the instalation instrucions so as
> not to have the operating system loading old drivers with the new system.
>
> Steve Marshall wrote:
>
>> My XP Pro SP1 OS has slowed down since I installed a new video card.
>>
>> Hardware config:
>>
>> P4 3.06GHz HT cpu on Gigabyte GA-8S648-L MoBo
>> 1 GB Crucial PC3200 SDRAM
>> Quantum Fireball 60 GB ATA 100 HDD
>> Seagate Ultra 160 17 GB SCSI HDD
>> Seagate Ultra 160 9.2 GB SCSI HDD
>> Creative Audigy 2 ZS Gamer with .441 Drivers
>> eVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra video card with 67.02 drivers
>> Newly installed prior to install of new card, a Thermaltake PurePower
>> Butterfly 480 watt PFC Active psu, which worked well the past few days
>> on my old 5950 Leadtek A380 Ultra card.
>>
>> Problem:
>>
>> My system has slowed down considerably, from boot time to opening
>> Explorer or Control Panel since the install of the new card which eVGA
>> says has to have a minimum of a 450 watt psu.
>>
>> Ideas?

Yes, in that case I would try a repair install also.

Steve Marshall wrote:

> Yes, Bob, I did the uninstall using Driver Cleaner 3 and when I rebooted
> it found the new card, I canceled the auto install and I manually
> installed the new 67.02 drivers from nVidia FTP site.
>
> No, the slowdown is across the board - from opening windows, a new Word
> .doc, everything.
>
> Also, some things are missing like WMI - cannot open Event Viewer to see
> what is happening at boot up. I can open Services and everything looks
> OK there, but System Information is unavailable.
>
> I am thinking about a Repair Install (not a recovery) to see if there
> are some files missing.
>
> Overall the card works great - HL2 is amazing with this card, all
> settings maxxed out at 1280x1024.
>
> What do you think I ought to do?
>
> Steve
>

> Bob I wrote:
>
>> Your reference to slowing down is only based on BOOT time? Did you
>> uninstall the old video card drivers before installing the new video
>> card? In other words did you follow the instalation instrucions so as
>> not to have the operating system loading old drivers with the new system.
>>
>> Steve Marshall wrote:
>>
>>> My XP Pro SP1 OS has slowed down since I installed a new video card.
>>>
>>> Hardware config:
>>>
>>> P4 3.06GHz HT cpu on Gigabyte GA-8S648-L MoBo
>>> 1 GB Crucial PC3200 SDRAM
>>> Quantum Fireball 60 GB ATA 100 HDD
>>> Seagate Ultra 160 17 GB SCSI HDD
>>> Seagate Ultra 160 9.2 GB SCSI HDD
>>> Creative Audigy 2 ZS Gamer with .441 Drivers
>>> eVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra video card with 67.02 drivers
>>> Newly installed prior to install of new card, a Thermaltake PurePower
>>> Butterfly 480 watt PFC Active psu, which worked well the past few
>>> days on my old 5950 Leadtek A380 Ultra card.
>>>
>>> Problem:
>>>
>>> My system has slowed down considerably, from boot time to opening
>>> Explorer or Control Panel since the install of the new card which
>>> eVGA says has to have a minimum of a 450 watt psu.
>>>
>>> Ideas?

Just installed this video card (GeForce 6600) ..
YES, you need a larger wattage power supply for usage of this card !

gb

"Steve Marshall" <marshall22@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> My XP Pro SP1 OS has slowed down since I installed a new video card.
>
> Hardware config:
>
> P4 3.06GHz HT cpu on Gigabyte GA-8S648-L MoBo
> 1 GB Crucial PC3200 SDRAM
> Quantum Fireball 60 GB ATA 100 HDD
> Seagate Ultra 160 17 GB SCSI HDD
> Seagate Ultra 160 9.2 GB SCSI HDD
> Creative Audigy 2 ZS Gamer with .441 Drivers
> eVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra video card with 67.02 drivers
> Newly installed prior to install of new card, a Thermaltake PurePower
> Butterfly 480 watt PFC Active psu, which worked well the past few days on
> my old 5950 Leadtek A380 Ultra card.
>
> Problem:
>
> My system has slowed down considerably, from boot time to opening Explorer
> or Control Panel since the install of the new card which eVGA says has to
> have a minimum of a 450 watt psu.
>
> Ideas?

If you are still worried about your system speed, you should also check for
"spyware" programs that "invade" oru PCs. These tend to take up processing
power and slow down the system.

> Yes, in that case I would try a repair install also.
>
> Steve Marshall wrote:
>
>> Yes, Bob, I did the uninstall using Driver Cleaner 3 and when I rebooted
>> it found the new card, I canceled the auto install and I manually
>> installed the new 67.02 drivers from nVidia FTP site.
>>
>> No, the slowdown is across the board - from opening windows, a new Word
>> .doc, everything.
>>
>> Also, some things are missing like WMI - cannot open Event Viewer to see
>> what is happening at boot up. I can open Services and everything looks OK
>> there, but System Information is unavailable.
>>
>> I am thinking about a Repair Install (not a recovery) to see if there are
>> some files missing.
>>
>> Overall the card works great - HL2 is amazing with this card, all
>> settings maxxed out at 1280x1024.
>>
>> What do you think I ought to do?
>>
>> Steve
>>

>> Bob I wrote:
>>
>>> Your reference to slowing down is only based on BOOT time? Did you
>>> uninstall the old video card drivers before installing the new video
>>> card? In other words did you follow the instalation instrucions so as
>>> not to have the operating system loading old drivers with the new
>>> system.

Larger than 480 Watts? The manual that comes with the Thermaltake
Purepower says it has a maximum capacity of 550 watts.

Steve

G.Beat wrote:
> Just installed this video card (GeForce 6600) ..
> YES, you need a larger wattage power supply for usage of this card !
>
> gb
>
> "Steve Marshall" <marshall22@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>
>>My XP Pro SP1 OS has slowed down since I installed a new video card.
>>
>>Hardware config:
>>
>>P4 3.06GHz HT cpu on Gigabyte GA-8S648-L MoBo
>>1 GB Crucial PC3200 SDRAM
>>Quantum Fireball 60 GB ATA 100 HDD
>>Seagate Ultra 160 17 GB SCSI HDD
>>Seagate Ultra 160 9.2 GB SCSI HDD
>>Creative Audigy 2 ZS Gamer with .441 Drivers
>>eVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra video card with 67.02 drivers
>>Newly installed prior to install of new card, a Thermaltake PurePower
>>Butterfly 480 watt PFC Active psu, which worked well the past few days on
>>my old 5950 Leadtek A380 Ultra card.
>>
>>Problem:
>>
>>My system has slowed down considerably, from boot time to opening Explorer
>>or Control Panel since the install of the new card which eVGA says has to
>>have a minimum of a 450 watt psu.
>>
>>Ideas?

Some people don't read ALL the posting. Perhaps your front side bus
setting got changed in BIOS?