8INXP and P4 3.4 512k Northwood

I installed on my 8INXP (E7205 chipset):
- 1xCPU P4 3.4 800MHz 512 k Northwood
- 2x512 Mb Corsair

Now I hope to run my system at about 190 or 200 MHz in DDR mode

However it does not work and I have several remarks about my BIOS (ver F5)

- I can set the CPU clock between 100 and 355 !!! I expected 100-200 Right?
It's not possible to enter any figure higher than 355

- I found no way to active in the BIOS the HyperThreading feature
Indeed, the CPU-Z dows not show 2 CPU's

- At the boot time, the 1Gb ram is reported running in Single mode while I
installed 1RAM in the first orange slot and the second RAM into the violet
slot

- At the boot time, the bus system is marked as 200Mhz like if the CPU clock
was set to 100Mhz
Indeed the factor of the CPU is 17x and CPU-Z reports 1700MHz

What is wrong in my motherboard ?????

Frank
frank.buff@dplanet.ch

lol...is this post a joke?
Frank, you bought a 3.4GHz Northwood 800Mhz FSB....right?
Well you bought the WRONG motherboard, that board only supports a CPU with a
533Mhz FSB.

The GA-8INXP does have Hyperthreading, i had this motherboard myself before
i bought the GA-8KNXP --> which is the board you SHOULD have bought.

As for the memory, i would say you have the DIMM's in the wrong slots. They
are color coded so as you put the DIMM's in the right slots.

I suggest you read the manual again and buy a new motherboard that supports
your CPU.

"Frank Buff" <frank.buff@dplanet.ch> wrote in message
>I installed on my 8INXP (E7205 chipset):
> - 1xCPU P4 3.4 800MHz 512 k Northwood
> - 2x512 Mb Corsair
>
> Now I hope to run my system at about 190 or 200 MHz in DDR mode
>
> However it does not work and I have several remarks about my BIOS (ver F5)
>
> - I can set the CPU clock between 100 and 355 !!! I expected 100-200
> Right?
> It's not possible to enter any figure higher than 355
>
> - I found no way to active in the BIOS the HyperThreading feature
> Indeed, the CPU-Z dows not show 2 CPU's
>
> - At the boot time, the 1Gb ram is reported running in Single mode while I
> installed 1RAM in the first orange slot and the second RAM into the violet
> slot
>
> - At the boot time, the bus system is marked as 200Mhz like if the CPU
> clock
> was set to 100Mhz
> Indeed the factor of the CPU is 17x and CPU-Z reports 1700MHz
>
> What is wrong in my motherboard ?????
>
> Frank
> frank.buff@dplanet.ch

> Frank, you bought a 3.4GHz Northwood 800Mhz FSB....right?
Right !

>> Well you bought the WRONG motherboard, that board only supports a CPU
with a 533Mhz FSB.
I do know that and I know the highest "official" CPU is 3.06B (533) (133 as
clock freq.)
But I read in several places that it was possible to overclock the system
clock in order to reach the 200MHz as clock freq.
I know it was almost impossible to reach this freq. but rather 195Mhz it
would be quite good for me.

I refer to the article:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030429/index.html

The summary of the article is :

"we overclocked the Intel 7205 from 133 MHz FSB clock to 180 MHz in any
case."
"Note that this tuning posed no problems with regard to stable operation."

That's the reason why I attempted this aggressive upgrade :)

Frank

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> lol...is this post a joke?
> Frank, you bought a 3.4GHz Northwood 800Mhz FSB....right?
> Well you bought the WRONG motherboard, that board only supports a CPU with
> 533Mhz FSB.
>
> The GA-8INXP does have Hyperthreading, i had this motherboard myself
before
> i bought the GA-8KNXP --> which is the board you SHOULD have bought.
>
> As for the memory, i would say you have the DIMM's in the wrong slots.
They
> are color coded so as you put the DIMM's in the right slots.
>
> I suggest you read the manual again and buy a new motherboard that
supports
> your CPU.
>

> "Frank Buff" <frank.buff@dplanet.ch> wrote in message
> >I installed on my 8INXP (E7205 chipset):
> > - 1xCPU P4 3.4 800MHz 512 k Northwood
> > - 2x512 Mb Corsair
> >
> > Now I hope to run my system at about 190 or 200 MHz in DDR mode
> >
> > However it does not work and I have several remarks about my BIOS (ver
F5)

> > - I can set the CPU clock between 100 and 355 !!! I expected 100-200
> > Right?
> > It's not possible to enter any figure higher than 355
> >
> > - I found no way to active in the BIOS the HyperThreading feature
> > Indeed, the CPU-Z dows not show 2 CPU's
> >
> > - At the boot time, the 1Gb ram is reported running in Single mode while
> > installed 1RAM in the first orange slot and the second RAM into the
violet
> > slot
> >
> > - At the boot time, the bus system is marked as 200Mhz like if the CPU
> > clock
> > was set to 100Mhz
> > Indeed the factor of the CPU is 17x and CPU-Z reports 1700MHz
> >
> > What is wrong in my motherboard ?????
> >
> > Frank
> > frank.buff@dplanet.ch

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:01:53 +0200, "Frank Buff"
<frank.buff@dplanet.ch> wrote:

>I do know that and I know the highest "official" CPU is 3.06B (533) (133 as
>clock freq.)
>But I read in several places that it was possible to overclock the system
>clock in order to reach the 200MHz as clock freq.

You can overclock a FSB533-P4. But you cannot use an FSB800-P4 on your
board with a system clock of 200 MHz.

Udo Kammer

>> Frank, you bought a 3.4GHz Northwood 800Mhz FSB....right?
> Right !
>
>>> Well you bought the WRONG motherboard, that board only supports a CPU
> with a 533Mhz FSB.
> I do know that and I know the highest "official" CPU is 3.06B (533) (133
> as
> clock freq.)
> But I read in several places that it was possible to overclock the system
> clock in order to reach the 200MHz as clock freq.
> I know it was almost impossible to reach this freq. but rather 195Mhz it
> would be quite good for me.
>
> I refer to the article:
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030429/index.html
>
> The summary of the article is :

> "we overclocked the Intel 7205 from 133 MHz FSB clock to 180 MHz in any
> case."
> "Note that this tuning posed no problems with regard to stable operation."
>
> That's the reason why I attempted this aggressive upgrade :)
>
> Frank

It's wrong....they are talking about overclocking a 533FSB CPU to 800MHz
FSB.