GA-81PE1000PRO-G: latest LAN drivers don't fix Code 10 error

Tags:
  • Gigabyte
  • Drivers
  • LAN
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
September 11, 2004 5:58:49 PM

I've just built a system with the above mobo, P4 2.8, 512mb RAM, WinXP Home
SP1, and have a Code 10 error ("this device cannot start"). The settings
are: PCI slot 7 (PCI bus 2, device 9, function 0).
I downloaded the latest drivers from
http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driv...
and pointed Update Drivers to the WinXP32 folder created on unzipping the
d/load, but XP doesn't think it's any better, so nothing's changed.
I notice that the onscreen BIOS has a setting for "Onboard LAN Boot ROM"
(enabled/disabled - currently set to disabled by default), but the manual
has no reference to this setting, so I don't know what it does, nor whether
to enable it or not.
I haven't yet set up a LAN - my son will probably need one when he takes
this system with him to university next week - but I assume it won't work
until this Code 10 error is fixed. The Gigabyte installation CDRom says that
the driver is installed.
Can anyone help please? I should mention that I tried SP2 but ran into
trouble and reverted to SP1 by doing an apparently succesful
Repair/Reinstall using the SP1 CDRom.

Miles
--
Exterminate Exterminate!

More about : 81pe1000pro latest lan drivers fix code error

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2004 11:14:35 AM

I uninstalled the driver and rebooted. XP found the hardware, located a
driver - the original from the mobo CDRom (in the C: drive I guess), or the
latest, which is in the D: partition? Does XP look everywhere for the latest
driver, or just stop when it's found one? - installed the driver, and the
System Devices entry showed no fault.
However on rebooting the error returns. Uninstall, reboot, error fixed;
reboot, error returns.
Can someone please explain? Should I enable "Onboard LAN Boot ROM"?
Miles

"MilesG" <mjgolding@btopenworldExterminate.com> wrote in message
> I've just built a system with the above mobo, P4 2.8, 512mb RAM, WinXP
> SP1, and have a Code 10 error ("this device cannot start"). The settings
> are: PCI slot 7 (PCI bus 2, device 9, function 0).
> I downloaded the latest drivers from

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driv...
> and pointed Update Drivers to the WinXP32 folder created on unzipping the
> d/load, but XP doesn't think it's any better, so nothing's changed.
> I notice that the onscreen BIOS has a setting for "Onboard LAN Boot ROM"
> (enabled/disabled - currently set to disabled by default), but the manual
> has no reference to this setting, so I don't know what it does, nor
whether
> to enable it or not.
> I haven't yet set up a LAN - my son will probably need one when he takes
> this system with him to university next week - but I assume it won't work
> until this Code 10 error is fixed. The Gigabyte installation CDRom says
that
> the driver is installed.
> Can anyone help please? I should mention that I tried SP2 but ran into
> trouble and reverted to SP1 by doing an apparently succesful
> Repair/Reinstall using the SP1 CDRom.
>
> Miles
> --
> Exterminate Exterminate!

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
September 14, 2004 4:26:32 AM

I fixed the problem, but with no help from Gigabyte and their "updated"
drivers site. (Wrong link to PRO rather than PRO-G page posted earlier).
Huge downloads of largely irrelevant files, an interface that doesn't work
and old drivers!
It's obvious I suppose, but the component manufacturer, Marvell, had all I
needed in one tiny .zip file.

!