Help - Graphics card not found

Folks,

Machine is a Abit KT7A-RAID (VIA KT133A chipset) with an Athlon 2ghz cpu.
ATI Radion 9700 graphics card, 750mb memory.

Machine has been working fine for ages. I turn it off for a couple of hours,
then turn it on again. The graphic peformance has changed. The resolution
is still 1280x1024 but screen redraws are abysmal.

I check Device manager and find it has no graphics card listed. I try to
re-install the ATI driver. The re-install fails with "Setup failed. Try to
install a standard VGA driver first"

I notice there is a yellow exclamation mark against the "VIA AGP to CPU
Controller" in the system deveices list. I imagine this is what the problem
is, althougn I am not sure.

I tried to install the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers - this was apparently
successful - at least no errors were reported.
But the yellow excalmanation mark remains and the ATI driver still will not
install.

The Graphics card its self seems OK - at leat the fan is turning and I guess
the system woul not be useable at all if it had actually failed.

Any ideas?

TIA -Adam

Sorry forgot to mention: Device Manager says "Windows cannot initialize the
device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)"
for the VIA AGP to CPU Controller

Adam Lipscombe wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Machine is a Abit KT7A-RAID (VIA KT133A chipset) with an Athlon 2ghz cpu.
> ATI Radion 9700 graphics card, 750mb memory.
>
> Machine has been working fine for ages. I turn it off for a couple of hours,
> then turn it on again. The graphic peformance has changed. The resolution
> is still 1280x1024 but screen redraws are abysmal.
>
> I check Device manager and find it has no graphics card listed. I try to
> re-install the ATI driver. The re-install fails with "Setup failed. Try to
> install a standard VGA driver first"
>
> I notice there is a yellow exclamation mark against the "VIA AGP to CPU
> Controller" in the system deveices list. I imagine this is what the problem
> is, althougn I am not sure.
>
> I tried to install the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers - this was apparently
> successful - at least no errors were reported.
> But the yellow excalmanation mark remains and the ATI driver still will not
> install.
>
> The Graphics card its self seems OK - at leat the fan is turning and I guess
> the system woul not be useable at all if it had actually failed.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA -Adam

this happened with our radeon but I can't recall how I got it back. I
think I used the ati driver removal gadget from their site and
physically removed and reseated the card, then started all over again.
--
Paul (Demanding Billy Dolls, And other friends of mine)
Stop and Look

Thanks I tried that, but makes no difference. Reseated card etc.
The graphics card itself is OK - the ATI utility finds it and correctly
reprotds the type etc.

Methinks its more to do wiotht the VIA AGP CPU bridge, although I dont know
what that actually is.
I triued the very latest via drivers but the exclamantion mark remains.

Bummer....

Any suggestions gratefully received....

Adam

Adam Lipscombe wrote:

> Thanks I tried that, but makes no difference. Reseated card etc.
> The graphics card itself is OK - the ATI utility finds it and correctly
> reprotds the type etc.
>
> Methinks its more to do wiotht the VIA AGP CPU bridge, although I dont know
> what that actually is.
> I triued the very latest via drivers but the exclamantion mark remains.
>
> Bummer....
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received....
>
> Adam

putting

VIA AGP CPU bridge problems

in google seems to point to win2000 having problems with certain VIA
chipsets. I'm afraid I'm a bit out of my depth here :O(
--
Paul (Demanding Billy Dolls, And other friends of mine)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Install the VIA Hyperion 4-in-1 chipset drviers. These install the VIA AGP
drivers, which may contain the VIA AGP bridge driver.