Mame .dats and 3rd party .dats

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

Hi guys

I'm having some problems in getting ClrMamePro (v3.61a) to verify certain roms. I have the latest full v0.92 set (inc CHDs). Each time a new version of MAME is released, I create a new .dat. However I know that you can download other dat files (logiqx etc) - Is there any difference between using these and creating your own (as I do)? And does this affect how roms are ammended using ClrMamePro?

Some examples of roms that do not seem to verify (missing roms etc):

goldnaxe
altbeast
tetris
sinistar

In total there are around 25 roms (zips) that I'm having problems with. For each of the above examples I have downloaded many different 'instances' of the same 'named' rom (zip) from various sources and still they will not verify. Have I done something wrong? or are these just bad dumps?

btw - I am running split sets! What's weird is that this has only started happening in the last couple of releases (of mame). Prior to this, all roms verified fine with new updates. Would you recommend running Romcentre instead?

Many thanks indeed for any help

-mick

I'd prefer a direct export via clrmamepro from the official mame binary.
Although I'm sure Mike (Logiqx) creates valid dats.

> Some examples of roms that do not seem to verify (missing roms etc):
>
> goldnaxe
> altbeast
> tetris
> sinistar

Well...look at the detailed scanner treewindow and you'll see what's
wrong with them. The sega games have changed a lot in the latest
releases, so it's rather normal you have to let cmpro do some magic to
fix them.
Anyway. Look at the tree and you know what's wrong with them. If they
are listed as "missing rom", you'll have to find the correct ones.
Of course be sure to use the latest cmpro (which is 3.62) and use the
official MAME binary as a database source. Maybe cleaning the cache
(profiler window) will help you too.

Roman