Anyone had success refilling Canon i9x0 and i9xx0 ink cart..

Hi all,

I've got a Canon i9950 and I'll be needing new ink soon, and seeing as the
continuous ink systems aren't available here yet, I'm thinking of refilling the
cartridges. I tried this with an Epson Photo 700 but had problems which was
probably due to air bubbles.

Should i try refilling, or should I just buy non-Canon cartridges to save a bit
less money until the CIS becomes available.

--
Ben Thomas
given nor endorsed by it.

    Continuous Systems are available for the i9900 and i9950:

    Camel Continuous Re-Inking System
    http://www.weink.com/ecom/catalog/camel_i9900_continuous_re-inking_system_3278121.htm

    EconoFLO Continuous Re-Inking System
    http://www.weink.com/ecom/catalog/econoflo_for_canon_8-color_printers_3278057.htm

    There are differences between the two systems in terms of reservoir capacity
    and provided
    maintenance program and support. EconoFLO systems are sold in 135 mL
    capacity reservoirs
    (without ink) and do not include any support. Camel Systems include a one
    year renewable
    maintenance warranty, unlimited support during maintenance program
    coverageand can be
    configured with 135 mL, 500mL, and 600 mL reservoirs.
    Customer Service ( customer.service@weink.com )
    WeInk, LLC
    http://www.weink.com
    Beat the high cost of printing with
    Camel Continuous Re-Inking System
    _____________________________
    "BenOne©" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a Canon i9950 and I'll be needing new ink soon, and seeing as the
    > continuous ink systems aren't available here yet, I'm thinking of
    refilling the
    > cartridges. I tried this with an Epson Photo 700 but had problems which
    was
    > probably due to air bubbles.
    >
    > Should i try refilling, or should I just buy non-Canon cartridges to save
    a bit
    > less money until the CIS becomes available.
    >
    > --
    > Ben Thomas
    > Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
    > relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as neither
    > given nor endorsed by it.

    BenOne© <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I've got a Canon i9950 and I'll be needing new ink soon, and seeing as the
    >continuous ink systems aren't available here yet, I'm thinking of refilling the
    >cartridges. I tried this with an Epson Photo 700 but had problems which was
    >probably due to air bubbles.
    >
    >Should i try refilling, or should I just buy non-Canon cartridges to save a bit
    >less money until the CIS becomes available.

    I've been refilling my i9900 successfully with no problems. I bought a
    refill kit (syringe, little drill) which I could have fitted up much
    cheaper had I known what you needed. The ink guy told me to use
    electrical tape to seal the outlet during the refill but you have to
    really make a tight fit over the outlet and press it down firmly. If
    you don't you do get dripping and it's quite a job to get it off your
    hands. (Put the cartridge on an old plastic shopping bag flattened
    down.) And don't hold it by the sides. You'll squeeze it and it will
    surely leak then. Don't fill too fast either. Take your time.
    Seal the drilled hole with a little glue (glue gun). Works like a
    charm.

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:20:16 GMT, BenOne© wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a Canon i9950 and I'll be needing new ink soon, and seeing as the
    > continuous ink systems aren't available here yet, I'm thinking of refilling the
    > cartridges. I tried this with an Epson Photo 700 but had problems which was
    > probably due to air bubbles.
    >
    > Should i try refilling, or should I just buy non-Canon cartridges to save a bit
    > less money until the CIS becomes available.

    Buy non-Canon refills. Proper refilling supplies will cost you almost as
    much as the printer. On my i550, the black refill cartridges worked fine.
    Not one of nine color refill cartridges worked. The first cyan refill
    simply poured ink all over the inside of the printer. The first yellow
    refill printed some times. The magenta refill stopped printing when half
    the ink was left. The second cyan cartridge never printed at all. You get
    the picture.

    Refilling is messy. The refill inks have a very low surface tension. It
    is impossible to refill cartridges without "sploshing" ink all over the
    newspaper. Cleaning up must be done carefully.

    I have used non-Canon cartridges on my other i550. After three
    replacements, I have not had a single problem. That is fortunate, since my
    "refill" i550 was destroyed by trying to refill.
    --
    r.s.nevin@att.net

    Bob@see-below-for-address.com wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:20:16 GMT, BenOne© wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I've got a Canon i9950 and I'll be needing new ink soon, and seeing as the
    > > continuous ink systems aren't available here yet, I'm thinking of refilling the
    > > cartridges. I tried this with an Epson Photo 700 but had problems which was
    > > probably due to air bubbles.
    > >
    > > Should i try refilling, or should I just buy non-Canon cartridges to save a bit
    > > less money until the CIS becomes available.
    >
    > Buy non-Canon refills. Proper refilling supplies will cost you almost as
    > much as the printer. On my i550, the black refill cartridges worked fine.
    > Not one of nine color refill cartridges worked. The first cyan refill
    > simply poured ink all over the inside of the printer. The first yellow
    > refill printed some times. The magenta refill stopped printing when half
    > the ink was left. The second cyan cartridge never printed at all. You get
    > the picture.
    >
    > Refilling is messy. The refill inks have a very low surface tension. It
    > is impossible to refill cartridges without "sploshing" ink all over the
    > newspaper. Cleaning up must be done carefully.
    >
    > I have used non-Canon cartridges on my other i550. After three
    > replacements, I have not had a single problem. That is fortunate, since my
    > "refill" i550 was destroyed by trying to refill.
    > --
    > r.s.nevin@att.net

    What vendor(s)' cartridges have you had good luck with?

    Thanks,

    Stranger

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:24:33 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:

    > Bob@see-below-for-address.com wrote:
    >>
    >> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:20:16 GMT, BenOne© wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I've got a Canon i9950 and I'll be needing new ink soon, and seeing as the
    >>> continuous ink systems aren't available here yet, I'm thinking of refilling the
    >>> cartridges. I tried this with an Epson Photo 700 but had problems which was
    >>> probably due to air bubbles.
    >>>
    >>> Should i try refilling, or should I just buy non-Canon cartridges to save a bit
    >>> less money until the CIS becomes available.
    >>
    >> Buy non-Canon refills. Proper refilling supplies will cost you almost as
    >> much as the printer. On my i550, the black refill cartridges worked fine.
    >> Not one of nine color refill cartridges worked. The first cyan refill
    >> simply poured ink all over the inside of the printer. The first yellow
    >> refill printed some times. The magenta refill stopped printing when half
    >> the ink was left. The second cyan cartridge never printed at all. You get
    >> the picture.
    >>
    >> Refilling is messy. The refill inks have a very low surface tension. It
    >> is impossible to refill cartridges without "sploshing" ink all over the
    >> newspaper. Cleaning up must be done carefully.
    >>
    >> I have used non-Canon cartridges on my other i550. After three
    >> replacements, I have not had a single problem. That is fortunate, since my
    >> "refill" i550 was destroyed by trying to refill.
    >> --
    >> r.s.nevin@att.net
    >
    > What vendor(s)' cartridges have you had good luck with?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Stranger

    I have had good luck with both my Epson C80 and Canon i550 using "Rainbow"
    cartridges sold by several vendors. The cartridges come in a white box
    with a stylized rainbow in the upper right corner. I think almost every
    vendor sells them. I believe that I most recently bought from
    tylermartin.com. With the C80, I had to bite the bullet. The original
    Epson cartridges cannot be replaced one at a time. I had to replace all
    four cartridges the first time. After that, they can be replaced
    individually.
    --
    r.s.nevin@att.net

    Rob wrote:

    > BenOne© <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I've got a Canon i9950 and I'll be needing new ink soon, and seeing as the
    >>continuous ink systems aren't available here yet, I'm thinking of refilling the
    >>cartridges. I tried this with an Epson Photo 700 but had problems which was
    >>probably due to air bubbles.
    >>
    >>Should i try refilling, or should I just buy non-Canon cartridges to save a bit
    >>less money until the CIS becomes available.
    >

    > I've been refilling my i9900 successfully with no problems. I bought a
    > refill kit (syringe, little drill) which I could have fitted up much
    > cheaper had I known what you needed. The ink guy told me to use
    > electrical tape to seal the outlet during the refill but you have to
    > really make a tight fit over the outlet and press it down firmly. If
    > you don't you do get dripping and it's quite a job to get it off your
    > hands. (Put the cartridge on an old plastic shopping bag flattened
    > down.) And don't hold it by the sides. You'll squeeze it and it will
    > surely leak then. Don't fill too fast either. Take your time.
    > Seal the drilled hole with a little glue (glue gun). Works like a
    > charm.

    Thanks to all for the replies.

    --
    Ben Thomas