Anyone had success refilling Canon i9x0 and i9xx0 ink cart..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 22, 2004 3:20:16 AM

Hi all,

I've got a Canon i9950 and I'll be needing new ink soon, and seeing as the
continuous ink systems aren't available here yet, I'm thinking of refilling the
cartridges. I tried this with an Epson Photo 700 but had problems which was
probably due to air bubbles.

Should i try refilling, or should I just buy non-Canon cartridges to save a bit
less money until the CIS becomes available.

--
Ben Thomas
given nor endorsed by it.

Continuous Systems are available for the i9900 and i9950:

Camel Continuous Re-Inking System
http://www.weink.com/ecom/catalog/camel_i9900_continuou...

EconoFLO Continuous Re-Inking System
http://www.weink.com/ecom/catalog/econoflo_for_canon_8-...

There are differences between the two systems in terms of reservoir capacity
and provided
maintenance program and support. EconoFLO systems are sold in 135 mL
capacity reservoirs
(without ink) and do not include any support. Camel Systems include a one
year renewable
maintenance warranty, unlimited support during maintenance program
coverageand can be
configured with 135 mL, 500mL, and 600 mL reservoirs.
Customer Service ( customer.service@weink.com )
WeInk, LLC
http://www.weink.com
Beat the high cost of printing with
Camel Continuous Re-Inking System
_____________________________
"BenOne©" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
news:o 5q7bc.a5h.ln@192.168.11.2...
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a Canon i9950 and I'll be needing new ink soon, and seeing as the
> continuous ink systems aren't available here yet, I'm thinking of
refilling the
> cartridges. I tried this with an Epson Photo 700 but had problems which
was
> probably due to air bubbles.
>
> Should i try refilling, or should I just buy non-Canon cartridges to save
a bit
> less money until the CIS becomes available.
>
> --
> Ben Thomas
> Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
> relate to the official business of my firm shall be understood as neither
> given nor endorsed by it.

June 23, 2004 12:04:14 AM

BenOne© <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've got a Canon i9950 and I'll be needing new ink soon, and seeing as the
>continuous ink systems aren't available here yet, I'm thinking of refilling the
>cartridges. I tried this with an Epson Photo 700 but had problems which was
>probably due to air bubbles.
>
>Should i try refilling, or should I just buy non-Canon cartridges to save a bit
>less money until the CIS becomes available.

I've been refilling my i9900 successfully with no problems. I bought a
refill kit (syringe, little drill) which I could have fitted up much
cheaper had I known what you needed. The ink guy told me to use
electrical tape to seal the outlet during the refill but you have to
really make a tight fit over the outlet and press it down firmly. If
you don't you do get dripping and it's quite a job to get it off your
hands. (Put the cartridge on an old plastic shopping bag flattened
down.) And don't hold it by the sides. You'll squeeze it and it will
surely leak then. Don't fill too fast either. Take your time.
Seal the drilled hole with a little glue (glue gun). Works like a
charm.
Related resources
June 23, 2004 6:16:56 AM

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:20:16 GMT, BenOne© wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got a Canon i9950 and I'll be needing new ink soon, and seeing as the
> continuous ink systems aren't available here yet, I'm thinking of refilling the
> cartridges. I tried this with an Epson Photo 700 but had problems which was
> probably due to air bubbles.
>
> Should i try refilling, or should I just buy non-Canon cartridges to save a bit
> less money until the CIS becomes available.

Buy non-Canon refills. Proper refilling supplies will cost you almost as
much as the printer. On my i550, the black refill cartridges worked fine.
Not one of nine color refill cartridges worked. The first cyan refill
simply poured ink all over the inside of the printer. The first yellow
refill printed some times. The magenta refill stopped printing when half
the ink was left. The second cyan cartridge never printed at all. You get
the picture.

Refilling is messy. The refill inks have a very low surface tension. It
is impossible to refill cartridges without "sploshing" ink all over the
newspaper. Cleaning up must be done carefully.

I have used non-Canon cartridges on my other i550. After three
replacements, I have not had a single problem. That is fortunate, since my
"refill" i550 was destroyed by trying to refill.
--
r.s.nevin@att.net
June 23, 2004 6:16:57 AM

Bob@see-below-for-address.com wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:20:16 GMT, BenOne© wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've got a Canon i9950 and I'll be needing new ink soon, and seeing as the
> > continuous ink systems aren't available here yet, I'm thinking of refilling the
> > cartridges. I tried this with an Epson Photo 700 but had problems which was
> > probably due to air bubbles.
> >
> > Should i try refilling, or should I just buy non-Canon cartridges to save a bit
> > less money until the CIS becomes available.
>
> Buy non-Canon refills. Proper refilling supplies will cost you almost as
> much as the printer. On my i550, the black refill cartridges worked fine.
> Not one of nine color refill cartridges worked. The first cyan refill
> simply poured ink all over the inside of the printer. The first yellow
> refill printed some times. The magenta refill stopped printing when half
> the ink was left. The second cyan cartridge never printed at all. You get
> the picture.
>
> Refilling is messy. The refill inks have a very low surface tension. It
> is impossible to refill cartridges without "sploshing" ink all over the
> newspaper. Cleaning up must be done carefully.
>
> I have used non-Canon cartridges on my other i550. After three
> replacements, I have not had a single problem. That is fortunate, since my
> "refill" i550 was destroyed by trying to refill.
> --
> r.s.nevin@att.net

What vendor(s)' cartridges have you had good luck with?

Thanks,

Stranger
June 23, 2004 10:32:22 PM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:24:33 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:

> Bob@see-below-for-address.com wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:20:16 GMT, BenOne© wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've got a Canon i9950 and I'll be needing new ink soon, and seeing as the
>>> continuous ink systems aren't available here yet, I'm thinking of refilling the
>>> cartridges. I tried this with an Epson Photo 700 but had problems which was
>>> probably due to air bubbles.
>>>
>>> Should i try refilling, or should I just buy non-Canon cartridges to save a bit
>>> less money until the CIS becomes available.
>>
>> Buy non-Canon refills. Proper refilling supplies will cost you almost as
>> much as the printer. On my i550, the black refill cartridges worked fine.
>> Not one of nine color refill cartridges worked. The first cyan refill
>> simply poured ink all over the inside of the printer. The first yellow
>> refill printed some times. The magenta refill stopped printing when half
>> the ink was left. The second cyan cartridge never printed at all. You get
>> the picture.
>>
>> Refilling is messy. The refill inks have a very low surface tension. It
>> is impossible to refill cartridges without "sploshing" ink all over the
>> newspaper. Cleaning up must be done carefully.
>>
>> I have used non-Canon cartridges on my other i550. After three
>> replacements, I have not had a single problem. That is fortunate, since my
>> "refill" i550 was destroyed by trying to refill.
>> --
>> r.s.nevin@att.net
>
> What vendor(s)' cartridges have you had good luck with?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stranger

I have had good luck with both my Epson C80 and Canon i550 using "Rainbow"
cartridges sold by several vendors. The cartridges come in a white box
with a stylized rainbow in the upper right corner. I think almost every
vendor sells them. I believe that I most recently bought from
tylermartin.com. With the C80, I had to bite the bullet. The original
Epson cartridges cannot be replaced one at a time. I had to replace all
four cartridges the first time. After that, they can be replaced
individually.
--
r.s.nevin@att.net
Anonymous

Rob wrote:

> BenOne© <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I've got a Canon i9950 and I'll be needing new ink soon, and seeing as the
>>continuous ink systems aren't available here yet, I'm thinking of refilling the
>>cartridges. I tried this with an Epson Photo 700 but had problems which was
>>probably due to air bubbles.
>>
>>Should i try refilling, or should I just buy non-Canon cartridges to save a bit
>>less money until the CIS becomes available.
>

> I've been refilling my i9900 successfully with no problems. I bought a
> refill kit (syringe, little drill) which I could have fitted up much
> cheaper had I known what you needed. The ink guy told me to use
> electrical tape to seal the outlet during the refill but you have to
> really make a tight fit over the outlet and press it down firmly. If
> you don't you do get dripping and it's quite a job to get it off your
> hands. (Put the cartridge on an old plastic shopping bag flattened
> down.) And don't hold it by the sides. You'll squeeze it and it will
> surely leak then. Don't fill too fast either. Take your time.
> Seal the drilled hole with a little glue (glue gun). Works like a
> charm.

Thanks to all for the replies.

--
Ben Thomas