SATA as secondary hard disk

rohit

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004

Hi,

Currently, i have 2 paralled ATA disks. 40 GB for windows & other
applications and 80 GB for data. Can i use a new SATA disk instead of this
80 GB with a 40 GB parallel ATA disk?

Regards, Rohit

Two ATA disks that equal 120 GB of storage....That means 60 GB for each,
they quit making those years ago,current drives come in 40,80,120,160 etc..
You can use any configuration of IDE,or SATA drives you want to,for RAID
though they must be physically identical and connected to a controller with
RAID capability.If i miss read,two identical SATA drives installed,purchase a
RAID controller and set up RAID.

"Rohit" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, i have 2 paralled ATA disks. 40 GB for windows & other
> applications and 80 GB for data. Can i use a new SATA disk instead of this
> 80 GB with a 40 GB parallel ATA disk?
>
> Regards, Rohit

peter

If your motherboard has SATA capabilities.........yes
peter
"Rohit" <rohitsahib@digitalanand.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Currently, i have 2 paralled ATA disks. 40 GB for windows & other applications
> and 80 GB for data. Can i use a new SATA disk instead of this 80 GB with a 40
> GB parallel ATA disk?
>
> Regards, Rohit

rohit

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004

Yes, it's an intel original 865 GBF montherboard.
Rohit
"peter" <peter@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
> If your motherboard has SATA capabilities.........yes
> peter
> "Rohit" <rohitsahib@digitalanand.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently, i have 2 paralled ATA disks. 40 GB for windows & other
>> applications and 80 GB for data. Can i use a new SATA disk instead of
>> this 80 GB with a 40 GB parallel ATA disk?
>>
>> Regards, Rohit

rohit

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004

My question was different. But anyway, what are the benefits of RAID? And
will a RAID setup be expensive?

Regards, Rohit

> Two ATA disks that equal 120 GB of storage....That means 60 GB for each,
> they quit making those years ago,current drives come in 40,80,120,160
> etc..
> You can use any configuration of IDE,or SATA drives you want to,for RAID
> though they must be physically identical and connected to a controller
> with
> RAID capability.If i miss read,two identical SATA drives
> installed,purchase a
> RAID controller and set up RAID.
>
> "Rohit" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently, i have 2 paralled ATA disks. 40 GB for windows & other
>> applications and 80 GB for data. Can i use a new SATA disk instead of
>> this
>> 80 GB with a 40 GB parallel ATA disk?
>>
>> Regards, Rohit

You can support both serial ATA (SATA) and parallel ATA hard drives with
your motherboard.

If you wish to use SATA RAID operation on an Intel mobo -- you must use 2
SATA drives.
The Intel utilities and directions for setting this up are available for
Intel's RAID supported motherboards.

I know that the 875PBZ motherboard supports Two Serial ATA IDE interfaces
with RAID 0 and RAID 1 support. However, I do not see this support for the
Intel 865GBF board (hardware capability).

Intel web site has everything you need:
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/index.htm

gb