Retrieving files from stand-alone harddrive

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hello,

I have 2 fully-functional harddrives from past laptops that went bad
(electrical and other problems). One was from a HP ZT1170 running XP
Pro and the other from a Dell Latitude also running XP Pro. I would
like to retrieve my old files from these harddrives. I now have a Dell
Dimension 4700 Desktop (XP Pro also).

Can anyone tell me a way to transfer those files from the old
standalone harddrives to my new Desktop?

Thanks in advance for any help.
4 answers Last reply
More about retrieving files stand alone harddrive
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You can obtain an adapter cable to connect the laptop HDD to your desktop HDD
    controller at: http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=906&sku=17705

    Hawkeye

    "The Alchemist" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have 2 fully-functional harddrives from past laptops that went bad
    > (electrical and other problems). One was from a HP ZT1170 running XP
    > Pro and the other from a Dell Latitude also running XP Pro. I would
    > like to retrieve my old files from these harddrives. I now have a Dell
    > Dimension 4700 Desktop (XP Pro also).
    >
    > Can anyone tell me a way to transfer those files from the old
    > standalone harddrives to my new Desktop?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    alkamista@lycos.com (The Alchemist) writes:
    >I have 2 fully-functional harddrives from past laptops that went bad
    >(electrical and other problems). One was from a HP ZT1170 running XP
    >Pro and the other from a Dell Latitude also running XP Pro. I would
    >like to retrieve my old files from these harddrives. I now have a Dell
    >Dimension 4700 Desktop (XP Pro also).

    >Can anyone tell me a way to transfer those files from the old
    >standalone harddrives to my new Desktop?

    There are cheap adapters to convert from 3 1/2" drive connectors
    to 2 1/2" laptop drive connectors. Here's one example

    http://www.mycableshop.com/3rd_Level/Gender-IDE.htm

    and I'm not saying to buy from them, just google for

    laptop ide adapter

    and you will find lots of places selling these.
    You get one, hook the drive to your system, and your system should
    recognize the laptop drive, since the laptop was also running XP.
    For older drives with other OS it might get a little more interesting.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    It seems to me the possibility at least exists to remove those
    hard drives from the bad Laptops and mount them in a separate enclosure
    connected to the good computer via USB 2.0 [you can buy them to hook up
    via either USB 2.0 and/or Firewire [ieee 1394, ilink]however, the dual
    option boxes cost more money. These boxes are available all over the
    Internet and even at Wal-Mart. The point: save the hard drives for use
    as external storage for the Desktop.
    Gene K

    Don Taylor wrote:
    > alkamista@lycos.com (The Alchemist) writes:
    >
    >>I have 2 fully-functional harddrives from past laptops that went bad
    >>(electrical and other problems). One was from a HP ZT1170 running XP
    >>Pro and the other from a Dell Latitude also running XP Pro. I would
    >>like to retrieve my old files from these harddrives. I now have a Dell
    >>Dimension 4700 Desktop (XP Pro also).
    >

    >>Can anyone tell me a way to transfer those files from the old
    >>standalone harddrives to my new Desktop?
    >

    > There are cheap adapters to convert from 3 1/2" drive connectors
    > to 2 1/2" laptop drive connectors. Here's one example
    >
    > http://www.mycableshop.com/3rd_Level/Gender-IDE.htm
    >
    > and I'm not saying to buy from them, just google for
    >
    > laptop ide adapter
    >
    > and you will find lots of places selling these.
    > You get one, hook the drive to your system, and your system should
    > recognize the laptop drive, since the laptop was also running XP.
    > For older drives with other OS it might get a little more interesting.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "The Alchemist" <alkamista@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have 2 fully-functional harddrives from past laptops that went bad
    > (electrical and other problems). One was from a HP ZT1170 running XP
    > Pro and the other from a Dell Latitude also running XP Pro. I would
    > like to retrieve my old files from these harddrives. I now have a Dell
    > Dimension 4700 Desktop (XP Pro also).
    >
    > Can anyone tell me a way to transfer those files from the old
    > standalone harddrives to my new Desktop?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    After retrieving your files with the adapter suggested by Hawkeye,
    consider the iron law of computing: All important files must be
    backed up to an independent medium at least weekly. Next time
    your files might irretrievable, even if you had an adapter. And
    there will be a next time!

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP