Retrieving files from stand-alone harddrive

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hello,

I have 2 fully-functional harddrives from past laptops that went bad
(electrical and other problems). One was from a HP ZT1170 running XP
Pro and the other from a Dell Latitude also running XP Pro. I would
like to retrieve my old files from these harddrives. I now have a Dell
Dimension 4700 Desktop (XP Pro also).

Can anyone tell me a way to transfer those files from the old
standalone harddrives to my new Desktop?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You can obtain an adapter cable to connect the laptop HDD to your desktop HDD
controller at: http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=906&sku=17705

Hawkeye

alkamista@lycos.com (The Alchemist) writes:
>I have 2 fully-functional harddrives from past laptops that went bad
>(electrical and other problems). One was from a HP ZT1170 running XP
>Pro and the other from a Dell Latitude also running XP Pro. I would
>like to retrieve my old files from these harddrives. I now have a Dell
>Dimension 4700 Desktop (XP Pro also).

>Can anyone tell me a way to transfer those files from the old
>standalone harddrives to my new Desktop?

There are cheap adapters to convert from 3 1/2" drive connectors
to 2 1/2" laptop drive connectors. Here's one example

http://www.mycableshop.com/3rd_Level/Gender-IDE.htm

and I'm not saying to buy from them, just google for

laptop ide adapter

and you will find lots of places selling these.
You get one, hook the drive to your system, and your system should
recognize the laptop drive, since the laptop was also running XP.
For older drives with other OS it might get a little more interesting.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

It seems to me the possibility at least exists to remove those
hard drives from the bad Laptops and mount them in a separate enclosure
connected to the good computer via USB 2.0 [you can buy them to hook up
via either USB 2.0 and/or Firewire [ieee 1394, ilink]however, the dual
option boxes cost more money. These boxes are available all over the
Internet and even at Wal-Mart. The point: save the hard drives for use
as external storage for the Desktop.
Gene K

"The Alchemist" <alkamista@lycos.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have 2 fully-functional harddrives from past laptops that went bad
> (electrical and other problems). One was from a HP ZT1170 running XP
> Pro and the other from a Dell Latitude also running XP Pro. I would
> like to retrieve my old files from these harddrives. I now have a Dell
> Dimension 4700 Desktop (XP Pro also).
>
> Can anyone tell me a way to transfer those files from the old
> standalone harddrives to my new Desktop?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

After retrieving your files with the adapter suggested by Hawkeye,
consider the iron law of computing: All important files must be
backed up to an independent medium at least weekly. Next time
your files might irretrievable, even if you had an adapter. And
there will be a next time!