Install 2nd (old, ata) hard drive on sata machine ..

Hi

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a single SATA hard drive.
I want to install a second hard drive, & I want to use a 120 Gb *ATA* hard
drive I have lying around for this purpose.
( I cannot just install it on the IDE controllers as the 2 CD/DVD ROM drives
use the only PATA channel there is. The Dell has 4 SATA connectors on the
MB, thus 3 spare )

I have (foolishly ??) bought an ATA/SATA adapter that claims to enable
connection of ATA HD to SATA motherboard.

OK, I fit the adapter, connect everything up, and - the BIOS doesn't find
this 2nd drive. (Yes the BIOS is configured with the relevant SATA MB input
'active' )

I read a lot on this ng & elsewhere about having to load the xp drivers for
SATA from a floppy by hitting F6 etc etc.. but if there is already one
functional SATA drive in there (which there is) , presumably I don't have to
do this again for the second HD ??

There is loads of material around about installing xp onto a SATA HD, but
none - that I can find - that helps me with this.

Should I just give up & dump my shiny ATA drive & buy a SATA one ??

Help appreciated.

--
Paul Seaton
7 answers Last reply

    How about looking at ATA(IDE) to USB conversion kits?

    > How about looking at ATA(IDE) to USB conversion kits?

    OK, it's a possiblity.
    I just don't like to think I wasted the money on the ata -> sata adapter I
    already got, plus.... by now I just would like to know what's going on here
    for it's own sake.

    --
    Paul Seaton

> [...]

    | MB, thus 3 spare )
    |
    | I have (foolishly ??) bought an ATA/SATA adapter that claims to enable
    | connection of ATA HD to SATA motherboard.
    |
    | OK, I fit the adapter, connect everything up, and - the BIOS doesn't find
    | this 2nd drive. (Yes the BIOS is configured with the relevant SATA MB
    input
    | 'active' )
    |
    | I read a lot on this ng & elsewhere about having to load the xp drivers
    for
    | SATA from a floppy by hitting F6 etc etc.. but if there is already one
    | functional SATA drive in there (which there is) , presumably I don't have
    | do this again for the second HD ??
    |
    | There is loads of material around about installing xp onto a SATA HD, but
    | none - that I can find - that helps me with this.
    |
    | Should I just give up & dump my shiny ATA drive & buy a SATA one ??

    Hi Paul -

    How do you have the 120GB PATA drive jumpered?

    Most SATA adaptors require that the drive be jumpered in the Master
    position.

    Jef

    "Jef Norton" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > "Paul Seaton" <NOpaulseatonSPAM@paulseaton.com> wrote in message
    > |

    > | Hi
    > |
    > | I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a single SATA hard drive.
    > | I want to install a second hard drive, & I want to use a 120 Gb *ATA*
    hard
    > | drive I have lying around for this purpose.
    > | ( I cannot just install it on the IDE controllers as the 2 CD/DVD ROM
    > drives
    > | use the only PATA channel there is. The Dell has 4 SATA connectors on
    the
    > | MB, thus 3 spare )
    > |
    > | I have (foolishly ??) bought an ATA/SATA adapter that claims to enable
    > | connection of ATA HD to SATA motherboard.
    > |
    > | OK, I fit the adapter, connect everything up, and - the BIOS doesn't
    find
    > | this 2nd drive. (Yes the BIOS is configured with the relevant SATA MB
    > input
    > | 'active' )
    > |
    > | I read a lot on this ng & elsewhere about having to load the xp drivers
    > for
    > | SATA from a floppy by hitting F6 etc etc.. but if there is already one
    > | functional SATA drive in there (which there is) , presumably I don't
    have
    > | do this again for the second HD ??
    > |
    > | There is loads of material around about installing xp onto a SATA HD,
    but
    > | none - that I can find - that helps me with this.
    > |
    > | Should I just give up & dump my shiny ATA drive & buy a SATA one ??
    > |
    > | Help appreciated.
    > |

    > | --
    > | Paul Seaton
    > |

    > Hi Paul -
    >
    > How do you have the 120GB PATA drive jumpered?
    >
    > Most SATA adaptors require that the drive be jumpered in the Master
    > position.

    Hi,

    I tried it on master.
    No joy.
    The fact that the BIOS doesn't even see it must tell us something no ?
    (I've no idea what, of course ..)

    --
    Paul Seaton

    "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    > Hi, Paul.
    >
    > Maybe I can help just a little. My mobo has SATA and PATA connectors. I
    > have NO SATA drives, just 2 PATAs plus a single SCSI drive connected to an
    > Adaptec SCSI host adapter. The SCSI drive is normally my boot device.
    >
    > > I read a lot on this ng & elsewhere about having to load the xp drivers
    > > for
    > > SATA from a floppy by hitting F6 etc etc.. but if there is already one
    > > functional SATA drive in there (which there is) , presumably I don't
    have
    > > do this again for the second HD ??

    R.C. ,

    > The F6 procedure is needed only for the BOOT device. Since you are
    already
    > booting from your SATA drive, you are already past that bottleneck.

    Excellent. I learned something. Thanks.

    > secondary drive that will not be used to boot the computer does not need
    > this. Its drivers can be installed like other devices: by letting WinXP
    > detect it if it's plug-n-play, or from a CD or other media it's not.
    >
    > I haven't tried an ATA/SATA adapter, so I can't guess why your drive is
    not
    > recognized when connected this way. I haven't seen a mobo without two
    > single PATA channels, even if it has SATA, too.

    It's a Dell Dimension 8400.
    One ATA channel. (has both CD /DVD drives on it )
    Four SATA.
    One floppy channel.

    > > (Yes the BIOS is configured with the relevant SATA MB input
    > > 'active' )
    >
    > You said you jumpered the drive as Master. Have you tried it as Cable
    > Select?

    Not yet.
    I've been staring at that ATA hard drive thinking 'I'm going to try again
    with you' for about a week.
    But since I always end up having a nervous breakdown at around 3 am after 8
    hours futile messing around, I need to store some positive energy first ..
    :-)

    > How many SATA connectors does your mobo have?

    Four.

    Mine (EPoX 8KDA3+) actually
    > has six! Two (SATA1 and SATA2) are "standard equipment" and their
    > connectors are near the AGP slot on the mobo. The other 4 are "optional"
    > and are located near the lower right corner of the mobo, near the
    "optional"
    > Silicon Image SiI3114 S-ATA controller chip. Since I have no SATA drives,
    > I've not had to learn how to enable all these connectors, but I would
    guess
    > that I will have to enable the standard and the optional groups
    separately.

    It's easy to enable them in 'SETUP' in the BIOS.
    Just that a newly enabled #2 SATA connection just doesn't seem to get
    enabled, in so far as the BIOS still can't see the drive.
    Maybe the ATA/SATA adapter is flaky ?
    But I have no way to test that, & it's unlikely, I would think.

    > Are you sure you don't need to enable that second connector separately?

    That's what I did.
    Explicitly, in SETUP.
    Doesn't seem to help.

    > Do you need to install a driver for that second SATA connector?

    Maybe I need to, but I haven't, as yet.
    The Dell documentation for installing 2nd SATA HD just says plug it in &
    enable the connection in the BIOS.
    Done that.
    My ATA - posing-as-SATA drive should be appearing to the MB as SATA, I guess
    ?
    But it's appearing as ... nothing.

    I'll check the MB CD ( assuming Dell gave me one....)

    Did you get
    > a CD-ROM with drivers on it? My mobo came with a CD-ROM containing
    drivers
    > for several functions: on-board sound, on-board LAN, SATA RAID, USB 2.0,
    > etc.

    I'll try 'cable select' & check the MB CD for drivers / more documentation.

    > I hope some of this is useful to you. ;^}

    Sure, thanks v much for the suggestions.
    I'll let you know what results..

    Regards,

    --
    Paul Seaton

    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    > rc@corridor.net
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    >
    > "Paul Seaton" <NOpaulseatonSPAM@paulseaton.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a single SATA hard drive.
    > > I want to install a second hard drive, & I want to use a 120 Gb *ATA*
    hard
    > > drive I have lying around for this purpose.
    > > ( I cannot just install it on the IDE controllers as the 2 CD/DVD ROM
    > > drives
    > > use the only PATA channel there is. The Dell has 4 SATA connectors on
    the
    > > MB, thus 3 spare )
    > >
    > > I have (foolishly ??) bought an ATA/SATA adapter that claims to enable
    > > connection of ATA HD to SATA motherboard.
    > >
    > > OK, I fit the adapter, connect everything up, and - the BIOS doesn't
    find
    > > this 2nd drive. (Yes the BIOS is configured with the relevant SATA MB
    > > input
    > > 'active' )
    > >
    > > I read a lot on this ng & elsewhere about having to load the xp drivers
    > > for
    > > SATA from a floppy by hitting F6 etc etc.. but if there is already one
    > > functional SATA drive in there (which there is) , presumably I don't
    have
    > > do this again for the second HD ??
    > >
    > > There is loads of material around about installing xp onto a SATA HD,
    but
    > > none - that I can find - that helps me with this.
    > >
    > > Should I just give up & dump my shiny ATA drive & buy a SATA one ??
    > >
    > > Help appreciated.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Paul Seaton

    OK, I tried with the ATA HD as 'cable select'.

    Damn.

    No joy.

    The BIOS still don't see it.

    I better just buy myself a SATA drive. Anyone want a 120 GB ATA Maxtor HD
    ??? :-)

    --
    Paul Seaton

    I have the same issue! I have a brans spanking new Dell 8400 with a WD
    80gb SATA. I went out and bought a Seagate 200gb ATA HDD, not realizing
    the Dell was SATA! duh!
    Anyway, I also bought a Promise Ultra133 TX2 ATA Controller in hopes to
    get the Seagate to be seen by the Dell. Well, the Dell sees the
    controller fine. But the Seagate - in XP Disk Management you can see it
    but not in Windows Explorer! I have no jumpers on the Seagate right
    now and it says something about secondary slave. I found on the web
    that the jumper might need to be in setting s 3/4 to be seen as a
    slave. Paul, give that a try. I'm going to try this weekend to get this
    thing to work.
    Once, I get it working, I'll post so we all can have a reference.
    The ATA HDD's are slowly phazing out, so there's some good deals on
    them. It would be nice to know how to get them to work with a SATA
    system!

    Paul Seaton wrote:
    > OK, I tried with the ATA HD as 'cable select'.
    >
    > Damn.
    >
    > No joy.
    >
    > The BIOS still don't see it.
    >
    > I better just buy myself a SATA drive. Anyone want a 120 GB ATA
    Maxtor HD
    > ??? :-)
    >

    > --
    > Paul Seaton