GA-8KNXP 2.0 - FJ BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2004 5:36:43 PM

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_...(Rev%202.0).htm

Download here, dated September 15th 2004:

http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/Download.asp?Download...

Not tried them, i just HOPE they fixed the boot delay issue i experienced
using SATA drives in RAID 0, will report my experience in using this new
BIOS.

More about : 8knxp bios

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2004 11:47:50 PM

I've had a chance now to check out the latest FJ BIOS, they rock!!!!

No SATA boot delay issue...everything is working perfect, it's just like FH,
but more recent. The date displayed during bootup is September 10th 2004.

In fact, and it might be my imagination, i think the boot time is a little
quicker using FJ. Overall i am most pleased and Gigabyte have resolved the
bug i reported.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2004 1:18:08 PM

This new BIOS has cured a problem I was having with a new CD drive. If I
left a disk in the drive when I went to S3 standby, the drive would not
function when I woke up the machine. The drive light would blink
continuously, I couldn't eject the tray with the front panel button, and the
drive icon would disappear from My Computer. A re-boot was required to
restore things to normal. I assumed this was a firmware problem with the
Asus drive, but the new FJ BIOS has provided a cure. Machine seems to be
running better than ever!

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've had a chance now to check out the latest FJ BIOS, they rock!!!!
>
> No SATA boot delay issue...everything is working perfect, it's just like
> FH, but more recent. The date displayed during bootup is September 10th
> 2004.
>
> In fact, and it might be my imagination, i think the boot time is a little
> quicker using FJ. Overall i am most pleased and Gigabyte have resolved the
> bug i reported.

Related resources
September 18, 2004 6:49:39 PM

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 09:18:08 GMT, "Kilgore Trout Jr"
<someguy@earthlink.net> wrote:

>This new BIOS has cured a problem I was having with a new CD drive. If I
>left a disk in the drive when I went to S3 standby, the drive would not
>function when I woke up the machine. The drive light would blink
>continuously, I couldn't eject the tray with the front panel button, and the
>drive icon would disappear from My Computer. A re-boot was required to
>restore things to normal. I assumed this was a firmware problem with the
>Asus drive, but the new FJ BIOS has provided a cure. Machine seems to be
>running better than ever!

FJ caused mine not to even load up the XP boot logo without rebooting
and bringing up the last known good config boot menu, glad I backed up
FI (which I have no issues with) just before I upgraded.

Still no updated ICH5R RAID bios as well. :-(
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2004 9:16:34 PM

"Sam" <sam@toomuch.spam> wrote in message

> Still no updated ICH5R RAID bios as well. :-(

Indeed, the BIOS for ITE, Intel and Silicon Image have not been updated at
all. I checked everything before and nothing save for the main Gigabyte BIOS
has been updated.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2004 9:18:16 PM

"Sam" <sam@toomuch.spam> wrote in message

> FJ caused mine not to even load up the XP boot logo without rebooting
> and bringing up the last known good config boot menu, glad I backed up
> FI (which I have no issues with) just before I upgraded.

Dunno, i had a SATA boot delay issue with FI, so i went back to FH. But FJ
is working fine for me....seems each motherboard responds differently to
BIOS updates.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2004 4:03:42 PM

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:49:39 GMT, Sam <sam@toomuch.spam> wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 09:18:08 GMT, "Kilgore Trout Jr"
><someguy@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>This new BIOS has cured a problem I was having with a new CD drive. If I
>>left a disk in the drive when I went to S3 standby, the drive would not
>>function when I woke up the machine. The drive light would blink
>>continuously, I couldn't eject the tray with the front panel button, and the
>>drive icon would disappear from My Computer. A re-boot was required to
>>restore things to normal. I assumed this was a firmware problem with the
>>Asus drive, but the new FJ BIOS has provided a cure. Machine seems to be
>>running better than ever!
>
>FJ caused mine not to even load up the XP boot logo without rebooting
>and bringing up the last known good config boot menu, glad I backed up
>FI (which I have no issues with) just before I upgraded.
>
>Still no updated ICH5R RAID bios as well. :-(

Did you Flash, reboot and then set the Fail Safe defaults then reboot again
before you entering your setting..?

This is a MUST..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2004 4:06:47 PM

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:16:34 +0100, "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Sam" <sam@toomuch.spam> wrote in message
>
>> Still no updated ICH5R RAID bios as well. :-(
>
>Indeed, the BIOS for ITE, Intel and Silicon Image have not been updated at
>all. I checked everything before and nothing save for the main Gigabyte BIOS
>has been updated.

It will, I have the Latest 1.7 ITE Bios, and Gigabyte stated that this Bios I
have will be made Public..

This New ITE Bios lets me select any drive to boot from, as listed in the ITE
Bios history.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2004 4:08:04 PM

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:18:16 +0100, "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Sam" <sam@toomuch.spam> wrote in message
>
>> FJ caused mine not to even load up the XP boot logo without rebooting
>> and bringing up the last known good config boot menu, glad I backed up
>> FI (which I have no issues with) just before I upgraded.
>
>Dunno, i had a SATA boot delay issue with FI, so i went back to FH. But FJ
>is working fine for me....seems each motherboard responds differently to
>BIOS updates.

Not if you Flash it correctly and set the Fail Safe defaults..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2004 4:10:13 PM

wrote:

>"Sam" <sam@toomuch.spam> wrote in message
>
>> FJ caused mine not to even load up the XP boot logo without rebooting
>> and bringing up the last known good config boot menu, glad I backed up
>> FI (which I have no issues with) just before I upgraded.
>
>Dunno, i had a SATA boot delay issue with FI, so i went back to FH. But FJ
>is working fine for me....seems each motherboard responds differently to
>BIOS updates.

The correct procedure is to Flash the Bios, reboot, set Fail Safe Defaults
then reboot again, then set your own Custom settings..

This is the ONLY Way..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2004 6:43:07 PM

"Karen Parker" <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.com> wrote in message

> Did you Flash, reboot and then set the Fail Safe defaults then reboot
> again
> before you entering your setting..?
>
> This is a MUST..

I reset to failsafe defaults before upgrading BIOS, then upgraded both the
main and backup BIOS to FJ.

The Intel, ITE and Sil BIOS were exactly the same.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2004 6:44:37 PM

> It will, I have the Latest 1.7 ITE Bios, and Gigabyte stated that this
> Bios I
> have will be made Public..
>
> This New ITE Bios lets me select any drive to boot from, as listed in the
> ITE
> Bios history.

It may, but FJ has not updated any of the above mentioned BIOS.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2004 6:46:57 PM

> Not if you Flash it correctly and set the Fail Safe defaults..

I'm not an idiot, and FYI...you should set fail safe defaults BEFORE
upgrading the BIOS. You reset the BIOS to their factory defaults and then
flash the BIOS.

And there is no can or can't when flashing BIOS, it either works or it
won't. It's not brain surgery to flash Gigabyte BIOS anyways.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2004 6:49:59 PM

> The correct procedure is to Flash the Bios, reboot, set Fail Safe
> Defaults
> then reboot again, then set your own Custom settings..
>
> This is the ONLY Way..

Wrong. You reset to fail safe defaults before flashing, reboot...enter BIOS
and flash then main BIOS. Reboot...enter BIOS and flash the backup BIOS,
reboot.

At this stage both main and backup BIOS are flashed, if one fails the backup
will also be the latest BIOS version.

Now now can set BIOS to what you want.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2004 7:23:18 PM

Whenever I try to update my BIOS to FI or FJ through the Qflash utility , I
press enter to bring the
Update from floppy, then I highlight the bios file. Whenever I press enter
to start the update, I get an error Stating wrong file size. What would be
causing this problem? Thanks,

> http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_...(Rev%202.0).htm
>
> Download here, dated September 15th 2004:
>
> http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/Download.asp?Download...
>

> Not tried them, i just HOPE they fixed the boot delay issue i experienced
> using SATA drives in RAID 0, will report my experience in using this new
> BIOS.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2004 11:57:08 PM

"Strike" <Strikeme@noclass.rr.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I try to update my BIOS to FI or FJ through the Qflash utility ,
> I press enter to bring the
> Update from floppy, then I highlight the bios file. Whenever I press enter
> to start the update, I get an error Stating wrong file size. What would be
> causing this problem? Thanks,

Are all three files on the floppy disk?...the file you need to highlight is
the one titled "8knxp2.fj", it's 512kb in size.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2004 11:57:09 PM

Also, make sure you have a version 2 board.

> "Strike" <Strikeme@noclass.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Whenever I try to update my BIOS to FI or FJ through the Qflash utility ,
>> I press enter to bring the
>> Update from floppy, then I highlight the bios file. Whenever I press
>> enter to start the update, I get an error Stating wrong file size. What
>> would be causing this problem? Thanks,
>

> Are all three files on the floppy disk?...the file you need to highlight
> is the one titled "8knxp2.fj", it's 512kb in size.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 12:42:39 AM

"Kilgore Trout Jr" <someguy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Also, make sure you have a version 2 board.

Indeed, VERY important to downlaod the correct BIOS. If ever in doubt, DO
NOT FLASH!

You'll reneder your motherboard useless and might as well throw it away.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 12:42:40 AM

> "Kilgore Trout Jr" <someguy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Also, make sure you have a version 2 board.
>
> Indeed, VERY important to downlaod the correct BIOS. If ever in doubt, DO
> NOT FLASH!
>
> You'll reneder your motherboard useless and might as well throw it away.

Not with a GA-8KNXP - just reflash from the backup BIOS. :-)

John.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 2:02:44 AM

"Bioboffin" <Reply_to_Group_please@zzz.invalid> wrote in message

> Not with a GA-8KNXP - just reflash from the backup BIOS. :-)
>
> John.

True, but once you have flashed and the BIOS are stable you should flash
both the main and backup BIOS to the same version.

In the above scenario, wrong BIOS flash, you would boot from the backup BIOS
and then flash the main BIOS to the same version as your backup.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 2:08:41 AM

Richard Dower wrote:
> http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_...(Rev%202.0).htm
>
> Download here, dated September 15th 2004:
>
> http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/Download.asp?Download...
>

> Not tried them, i just HOPE they fixed the boot delay issue i experienced
> using SATA drives in RAID 0, will report my experience in using this new
> BIOS.

<sigh>

Brendan
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 2:08:42 AM

"Brendan S (Scratch User)" <gobnat@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Richard Dower wrote:
>> http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_...(Rev%202.0).htm
>>
>> Download here, dated September 15th 2004:
>>
>> http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/Download.asp?Download...
>>

>> Not tried them, i just HOPE they fixed the boot delay issue i experienced
>> using SATA drives in RAID 0, will report my experience in using this new
>> BIOS.

> <sigh>
>
> Brendan

Works perfect for me Brendan, as stated...every motherboard/system reacts
differently.

If you flashed the main BIOS to FJ and are booting off the backup, you'll
need to flash the man BIOS back to your previous BIOS.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 8:37:54 PM

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:43:07 +0100, "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Karen Parker" <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
>
>> Did you Flash, reboot and then set the Fail Safe defaults then reboot
>> again
>> before you entering your setting..?
>>
>> This is a MUST..
>
>I reset to failsafe defaults before upgrading BIOS, then upgraded both the
>main and backup BIOS to FJ.
>
>The Intel, ITE and Sil BIOS were exactly the same.

You have it all wrong After you Flash you reboot then set Fail Safe then
Reboot Again Then set your Defaults.

..

September 20, 2004 8:37:55 PM

Playing devils advocate, My 8KNXP.2 came with FD, I am now on FJ and I have NEVER set fail safe defaults when flashing.
My RAM timings are 2,3,2,6 & the only thing I have not enabled is CIA. I flash the main BIOS, use it for 2 weeks,
then flash the backup if I'm happy. NOT saying this is the proper way to go, just that it CAN be done.

I AM happy with FJ, it seems to have cleared up a problem I had with my digital capture card, a real buss hog.
It's running fine now (knock wood). Also, when I rebooted & logged on I was doing other stuff and was not paying attention.
When I returned to the screen I had a message stating "Your new hardware has been installed successfully, you need to reboot ....".
I don't know what it installed, used to know how to find out, but at the moment it escapes me.

Karen wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:43:07 +0100, "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Karen Parker" <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>Did you Flash, reboot and then set the Fail Safe defaults then reboot
>>>again
>>>before you entering your setting..?
>>>
>>>This is a MUST..
>>
>>I reset to failsafe defaults before upgrading BIOS, then upgraded both the
>>main and backup BIOS to FJ.
>>
>>The Intel, ITE and Sil BIOS were exactly the same.
>>

> You have it all wrong After you Flash you reboot then set Fail Safe then
> Reboot Again Then set your Defaults.
>
> .

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 8:37:56 PM

"Rick" <yamist@tiac.net> wrote in message
> Playing devils advocate, My 8KNXP.2 came with FD, I am now on FJ and I
> have NEVER set fail safe defaults when flashing. My RAM timings are
> 2,3,2,6 & the only thing I have not enabled is CIA. I flash the main BIOS,
> use it for 2 weeks, then flash the backup if I'm happy. NOT saying this is
> the proper way to go, just that it CAN be done.
>
> I AM happy with FJ, it seems to have cleared up a problem I had with my
> digital capture card, a real buss hog. It's running fine now (knock wood).
> Also, when I rebooted & logged on I was doing other stuff and was not
> paying attention.
> When I returned to the screen I had a message stating "Your new hardware
> has been installed successfully, you need to reboot ....".
> I don't know what it installed, used to know how to find out, but at the
> moment it escapes me.

It added a few more items to Device Manager, under System Devices i had 27
items listed, now i have 29.

Added ACPI Fan + ACPI Thermal Zone.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 8:39:51 PM

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:46:57 +0100, "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Karen Parker" <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
>
>> Not if you Flash it correctly and set the Fail Safe defaults..
>
>I'm not an idiot, and FYI...you should set fail safe defaults BEFORE
>upgrading the BIOS. You reset the BIOS to their factory defaults and then
>flash the BIOS.
>
>And there is no can or can't when flashing BIOS, it either works or it
>won't. It's not brain surgery to flash Gigabyte BIOS anyways.

From most is is, No you do not know how to Set your Bios Correctly..

I have Flashed more Bioses than you have had hot dinners..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 8:41:53 PM

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:49:59 +0100, "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Karen Parker" <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
>
>> The correct procedure is to Flash the Bios, reboot, set Fail Safe
>> Defaults
>> then reboot again, then set your own Custom settings..
>>
>> This is the ONLY Way..
>
>Wrong. You reset to fail safe defaults before flashing, reboot...enter BIOS
>and flash then main BIOS. Reboot...enter BIOS and flash the backup BIOS,
>reboot.
>
>At this stage both main and backup BIOS are flashed, if one fails the backup
>will also be the latest BIOS version.
>
>Now now can set BIOS to what you want.

Sorry BUT YOU ARE TOTALY WRONG..

You just don't have a clue..

May be you should take notice on one that knows and has done is some 100 Times
before
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 8:42:34 PM

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:52:08 +0100, "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Brendan S (Scratch User)" <gobnat@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Richard Dower wrote:
>>> http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_...(Rev%202.0).htm
>>>
>>> Download here, dated September 15th 2004:
>>>
>>> http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/Download.asp?Download...
>>>

>>> Not tried them, i just HOPE they fixed the boot delay issue i experienced
>>> using SATA drives in RAID 0, will report my experience in using this new
>>> BIOS.

>> <sigh>
>>
>> Brendan
>
>Works perfect for me Brendan, as stated...every motherboard/system reacts
>differently.
>
>If you flashed the main BIOS to FJ and are booting off the backup, you'll
>need to flash the man BIOS back to your previous BIOS.

NO YOU DON'T..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 8:42:35 PM

> NO YOU DON'T..

What is the point in having the man BIOS at FJ while the backup is FI or
FH?....explain that to me?

If FJ is working perfect does it not make perfect sense to have BOTH BIOS
version the same, i think it does.

And you are wrong, the ITE, Intel and Sil BIOS have not been updated. As
others have said....you got a beta BIOS that resolved your issue. Gigabyte
have not introduced BIOS updates for everyone as yet.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 8:44:07 PM

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:23:18 GMT, "Strike" <Strikeme@noclass.rr.com> wrote:

>Whenever I try to update my BIOS to FI or FJ through the Qflash utility , I
>press enter to bring the
>Update from floppy, then I highlight the bios file. Whenever I press enter
>to start the update, I get an error Stating wrong file size. What would be
>causing this problem? Thanks,

Unpack the Bios file first, as it contains other things in the self extraction
file...

>"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_...(Rev%202.0).htm
>>
>> Download here, dated September 15th 2004:
>>
>> http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/Download.asp?Download...
>>

>> Not tried them, i just HOPE they fixed the boot delay issue i experienced
>> using SATA drives in RAID 0, will report my experience in using this new
>> BIOS.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 8:45:37 PM

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:02:44 +0100, "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Bioboffin" <Reply_to_Group_please@zzz.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> Not with a GA-8KNXP - just reflash from the backup BIOS. :-)
>>
>> John.
>
>True, but once you have flashed and the BIOS are stable you should flash
>both the main and backup BIOS to the same version.
>
>In the above scenario, wrong BIOS flash, you would boot from the backup BIOS
>and then flash the main BIOS to the same version as your backup.

NOT NEEDED..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 8:46:16 PM

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:49:39 GMT, Sam <sam@toomuch.spam> wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 09:18:08 GMT, "Kilgore Trout Jr"
><someguy@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>This new BIOS has cured a problem I was having with a new CD drive. If I
>>left a disk in the drive when I went to S3 standby, the drive would not
>>function when I woke up the machine. The drive light would blink
>>continuously, I couldn't eject the tray with the front panel button, and the
>>drive icon would disappear from My Computer. A re-boot was required to
>>restore things to normal. I assumed this was a firmware problem with the
>>Asus drive, but the new FJ BIOS has provided a cure. Machine seems to be
>>running better than ever!
>
>FJ caused mine not to even load up the XP boot logo without rebooting
>and bringing up the last known good config boot menu, glad I backed up
>FI (which I have no issues with) just before I upgraded.
>
>Still no updated ICH5R RAID bios as well. :-(

Did you Flash, reboot and then set the Fail Safe defaults then reboot again
before you entering your setting..?

This is a MUST..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 8:46:38 PM

wrote:

>"Sam" <sam@toomuch.spam> wrote in message
>
>> FJ caused mine not to even load up the XP boot logo without rebooting
>> and bringing up the last known good config boot menu, glad I backed up
>> FI (which I have no issues with) just before I upgraded.
>
>Dunno, i had a SATA boot delay issue with FI, so i went back to FH. But FJ
>is working fine for me....seems each motherboard responds differently to
>BIOS updates.

Not if you Flash it correctly and set the Fail Safe defaults..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 8:46:51 PM

wrote:

>"Sam" <sam@toomuch.spam> wrote in message
>
>> FJ caused mine not to even load up the XP boot logo without rebooting
>> and bringing up the last known good config boot menu, glad I backed up
>> FI (which I have no issues with) just before I upgraded.
>
>Dunno, i had a SATA boot delay issue with FI, so i went back to FH. But FJ
>is working fine for me....seems each motherboard responds differently to
>BIOS updates.

The correct procedure is to Flash the Bios, reboot, set Fail Safe Defaults
then reboot again, then set your own Custom settings..

This is the ONLY Way..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 3:11:19 AM

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:43:07 +0100, "Richard Dower"
> <richarddower@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Karen Parker" <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Did you Flash, reboot and then set the Fail Safe defaults then reboot
>>> again
>>> before you entering your setting..?
>>>
>>> This is a MUST..
>>
>>I reset to failsafe defaults before upgrading BIOS, then upgraded both the
>>main and backup BIOS to FJ.
>>
>>The Intel, ITE and Sil BIOS were exactly the same.
>>

> You have it all wrong After you Flash you reboot then set Fail Safe then
> Reboot Again Then set your Defaults.
>
> .

Is this some 12 year that has hijacked his mums PC or something?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 3:15:48 AM

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_...(Rev%202.0).htm
>
> Download here, dated September 15th 2004:
>
> http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/Download.asp?Download...

Just updated to this bios from FH and CPU temperature readings are now about
10 degrees centigrade lower than before. At idle the CPU temp reads about 28
degrees which means the CPU smart fan control in the bios now actually does
slow the CPU fan down, though not by much.

Adrian

---
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 12:41:18 PM

Richard Dower wrote:
> "Brendan S (Scratch User)" <gobnat@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>><sigh>
>>
>>Brendan
>

> Works perfect for me Brendan, as stated...every motherboard/system reacts
> differently.
>
> If you flashed the main BIOS to FJ and are booting off the backup, you'll
> need to flash the man BIOS back to your previous BIOS.

Yes I did. Although that may be the FH bios, so I might have to go reflash the FI bios.

Brendan
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 1:27:38 PM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:03:29 GMT, Rick <yamist@tiac.net> wrote:

> Playing devils advocate, My 8KNXP.2 came with FD, I am now on FJ and I have NEVER set fail safe defaults when flashing.
>My RAM timings are 2,3,2,6 & the only thing I have not enabled is CIA. I flash the main BIOS, use it for 2 weeks,
>then flash the backup if I'm happy. NOT saying this is the proper way to go, just that it CAN be done.
>
> I AM happy with FJ, it seems to have cleared up a problem I had with my digital capture card, a real buss hog.
>It's running fine now (knock wood). Also, when I rebooted & logged on I was doing other stuff and was not paying attention.
>When I returned to the screen I had a message stating "Your new hardware has been installed successfully, you need to reboot ....".
>I don't know what it installed, used to know how to find out, but at the moment it escapes me.

You do not have to set Safe Defaults beforE you flash unless you are using any
Over Clocking or Enchantment modes, BUT YOU MUST SET THE FACTORY DEFAULTS
AFTER YOU FLASH AND THEN REBOOT AGAIN BEFORE YOU SET YOUR OWN SETTINGS..

>Karen wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:43:07 +0100, "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Karen Parker" <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.com> wrote in message

>>>I reset to failsafe defaults before upgrading BIOS, then upgraded both the
>>>main and backup BIOS to FJ.
>>>
>>>The Intel, ITE and Sil BIOS were exactly the same.
>>>

>> You have it all wrong After you Flash you reboot then set Fail Safe then
>> Reboot Again Then set your Defaults.
>>
>> .

September 21, 2004 1:27:39 PM

Karen wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:03:29 GMT, Rick <yamist@tiac.net> wrote:
>

>> Playing devils advocate, My 8KNXP.2 came with FD, I am now on FJ and I have NEVER set fail safe defaults when flashing.
>>My RAM timings are 2,3,2,6 & the only thing I have not enabled is CIA. I flash the main BIOS, use it for 2 weeks,
>>then flash the backup if I'm happy. NOT saying this is the proper way to go, just that it CAN be done.
>>
>> I AM happy with FJ, it seems to have cleared up a problem I had with my digital capture card, a real buss hog.
>>It's running fine now (knock wood). Also, when I rebooted & logged on I was doing other stuff and was not paying attention.
>>When I returned to the screen I had a message stating "Your new hardware has been installed successfully, you need to reboot ....".
>>I don't know what it installed, used to know how to find out, but at the moment it escapes me.
>

> You do not have to set Safe Defaults beforE you flash unless you are using any
> Over Clocking or Enchantment modes, BUT YOU MUST SET THE FACTORY DEFAULTS
> AFTER YOU FLASH AND THEN REBOOT AGAIN BEFORE YOU SET YOUR OWN SETTINGS..
>

>>Karen wrote:

>>>You have it all wrong After you Flash you reboot then set Fail Safe then
>>>Reboot Again Then set your Defaults.
>>>
>>>.

WHY? If you update the BIOS first, then the next boot You are booting with the same settings, all be it just into CMOS setup.
I will give You it's a safer road to travel, never traveled it much myself though. If it were a "MUST" I wouldn't be posting this, not
on this machine anyway.

Skating Away...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 1:30:16 PM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:40:44 +0100, "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Karen Parker" <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
>
>> NO YOU DON'T..
>
>What is the point in having the man BIOS at FJ while the backup is FI or
>FH?....explain that to me?
>
>If FJ is working perfect does it not make perfect sense to have BOTH BIOS
>version the same, i think it does.
>
>And you are wrong, the ITE, Intel and Sil BIOS have not been updated. As
>others have said....you got a beta BIOS that resolved your issue. Gigabyte
>have not introduced BIOS updates for everyone as yet.

MY ITE BIOS IS 1.7 AS THE NEW BIOS WAS PROVIDED BY GIGABYTE..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 1:30:17 PM

> MY ITE BIOS IS 1.7 AS THE NEW BIOS WAS PROVIDED BY GIGABYTE..

FJ does not update ITE to 1.7, you're using a special beta BIOS to resolve
your issue.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 6:23:01 PM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:35:00 +0100, "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Karen Parker" <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
>
>> MY ITE BIOS IS 1.7 AS THE NEW BIOS WAS PROVIDED BY GIGABYTE..
>
>FJ does not update ITE to 1.7, you're using a special beta BIOS to resolve
>your issue.

No its not special, it is to fix A BUG with 2 HD on the ITE controller.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 6:25:09 PM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:53:26 GMT, Rick <yamist@tiac.net> wrote:

>Karen wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:03:29 GMT, Rick <yamist@tiac.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Playing devils advocate, My 8KNXP.2 came with FD, I am now on FJ and I have NEVER set fail safe defaults when flashing.
>>>My RAM timings are 2,3,2,6 & the only thing I have not enabled is CIA. I flash the main BIOS, use it for 2 weeks,
>>>then flash the backup if I'm happy. NOT saying this is the proper way to go, just that it CAN be done.
>>>
>>> I AM happy with FJ, it seems to have cleared up a problem I had with my digital capture card, a real buss hog.
>>>It's running fine now (knock wood). Also, when I rebooted & logged on I was doing other stuff and was not paying attention.
>>>When I returned to the screen I had a message stating "Your new hardware has been installed successfully, you need to reboot ....".
>>>I don't know what it installed, used to know how to find out, but at the moment it escapes me.
>>

>> You do not have to set Safe Defaults beforE you flash unless you are using any
>> Over Clocking or Enchantment modes, BUT YOU MUST SET THE FACTORY DEFAULTS
>> AFTER YOU FLASH AND THEN REBOOT AGAIN BEFORE YOU SET YOUR OWN SETTINGS..

> WHY? If you update the BIOS first, then the next boot You are booting with the same settings, all be it just into CMOS setup.
>I will give You it's a safer road to travel, never traveled it much myself though. If it were a "MUST" I wouldn't be posting this, not
>on this machine anyway.
>
> Skating Away...

So GIGABYE have it all wrong..?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 6:25:10 PM

> So GIGABYE have it all wrong..?

No, just you.
September 21, 2004 9:53:03 PM

Richard,

"Karen" as he is calling himself these days does not own an 8KNXP rev 1 or
rev 2. He (it is actually a he) claims to have had GB update a bios for
8INXP (if I recall correctly) to include the ITE update. He (his real name
is Roger) seems to think that the bios for these boards is completely
interchangeable and that by asking for 1 bios to be corrected that he is the
New Saviour and authoritative champion!

So, in short Roger (alias Woger, Woger MKII and about 200 others) is flame
bait.

- Tim

> "Karen Parker" <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
>
>> MY ITE BIOS IS 1.7 AS THE NEW BIOS WAS PROVIDED BY GIGABYTE..
>
> FJ does not update ITE to 1.7, you're using a special beta BIOS to resolve
> your issue.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 9:53:04 PM

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:ciofem$63n$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...

> Richard,
> So, in short Roger (alias Woger, Woger MKII and about 200 others) is flame
> bait.
>
> - Tim

Thanks Tim, damn Trolls.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2004 12:07:38 AM

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:02:44 +0100, "Richard Dower"
> <richarddower@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Bioboffin" <Reply_to_Group_please@zzz.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>> Not with a GA-8KNXP - just reflash from the backup BIOS. :-)
>>>
>>> John.
>>
>>True, but once you have flashed and the BIOS are stable you should flash
>>both the main and backup BIOS to the same version.
>>
>>In the above scenario, wrong BIOS flash, you would boot from the backup
>>BIOS
>>and then flash the main BIOS to the same version as your backup.
>>

> NOT NEEDED..

Sorry? Please feel free to expand further... :-)

Like how would you recover from a failed BIOS flash without using the
incredibly useful Gigabyte backup BIOS?

Incidentally we do know how to flash a BIOS (after all we have read and
carried out your reccommendation), but just occasionally it fails - e.g.
because the mains electricity turns off or glitches - so your recommendation
repeated several times about how to do a BIOS flash still is of no help.

John.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2004 12:57:06 AM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:53:03 +1200, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote:

>Richard,
>
>"Karen" as he is calling himself these days does not own an 8KNXP rev 1 or
>rev 2. He (it is actually a he) claims to have had GB update a bios for
>8INXP (if I recall correctly) to include the ITE update. He (his real name
>is Roger) seems to think that the bios for these boards is completely
>interchangeable and that by asking for 1 bios to be corrected that he is the
>New Saviour and authoritative champion!
>
>So, in short Roger (alias Woger, Woger MKII and about 200 others) is flame
>bait.
>
>- Tim

So how wrong you are, I have the Same MoBo as a GA-8KNXP 2.0, but with out
the extra power module.

Yes I do have a New Bios from GigaByte, F11a..

Thank you for supporting Gigabyte products and contacting GBT Tech Support. As
to the problem you mentioned, we are sorry to let you down about our response.
As we noticed that we have provided the latest BIOS in EmailID : 102955, we
are not sure if it works for you to solve the issue that you have been faced?

Meanwhile, we would like to thanks for your suggestion to let us have chance
to improve our service. We will look into this issue and perform better in the
future.

At last, if you still have any further question or suggestion about our
products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us directly. We will
try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Best Regards,
Gigabyte Technology

>"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Karen Parker" <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> MY ITE BIOS IS 1.7 AS THE NEW BIOS WAS PROVIDED BY GIGABYTE..
>>
>> FJ does not update ITE to 1.7, you're using a special beta BIOS to resolve
>> your issue.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2004 12:57:07 AM

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:53:03 +1200, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote:
>
>>Richard,
>>
>>"Karen" as he is calling himself these days does not own an 8KNXP rev 1 or
>>rev 2. He (it is actually a he) claims to have had GB update a bios for
>>8INXP (if I recall correctly) to include the ITE update. He (his real name
>>is Roger) seems to think that the bios for these boards is completely
>>interchangeable and that by asking for 1 bios to be corrected that he is
>>the
>>New Saviour and authoritative champion!
>>
>>So, in short Roger (alias Woger, Woger MKII and about 200 others) is flame
>>bait.
>>
>>- Tim
>>

> So how wrong you are, I have the Same MoBo as a GA-8KNXP 2.0, but with
> out
> the extra power module.
>
> Yes I do have a New Bios from GigaByte, F11a..

LOL....if you have that mobo then you would KNOW that F11 referes to
revision 1.0 of the GA-8KNXP.

FH, FI, FJ referes to the 2.0 and 2.1 revisions of the board.

> Thank you for supporting Gigabyte products and contacting GBT Tech
> Support. As
> to the problem you mentioned, we are sorry to let you down about our
> response.
> As we noticed that we have provided the latest BIOS in EmailID : 102955,
> we
> are not sure if it works for you to solve the issue that you have been
> faced?
>
> Meanwhile, we would like to thanks for your suggestion to let us have
> chance
> to improve our service. We will look into this issue and perform better in
> the
> future.
>
> At last, if you still have any further question or suggestion about our
> products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us directly. We
> will
> try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.
>
> Best Regards,
> Gigabyte Technology

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2004 1:00:35 AM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:26:09 +0100, "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Karen Parker" <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
>
>> So GIGABYE have it all wrong..?
>
>No, just you.

NO I AM REFERING TO INFO PROVIDED BY GIGABYTE, PLUS MY EXPERANCE OF FLASHING
MOBOS FOR MANY MANY YEARS.

I HAVE ALSO BEEN IN THE COMPUTER TRADE LONGER THAT YOU HAVE HAD HOT DINNERS.
!