Burner software recommendation

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm using Nero 5.5. I don't get the greatest quality video or audio from
this. Any software recommendations? I have Samsung Black 52X32X52 CD-RW
Drive, Model SW-252FEN. Does the CD-RW drive type make a difference in
quality?

I use Nero 5.5 and it works fine. The video is the same quality as the
original. When I burn music, it is indistinguishable from the original CD
source I am copying. Always choose to encode video or music in the highest
quality possible. This can result in huge file sizes, of course.

"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Nero 5.5. I don't get the greatest quality video or audio from
> this. Any software recommendations? I have Samsung Black 52X32X52 CD-RW
> Drive, Model SW-252FEN. Does the CD-RW drive type make a difference in
> quality?

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Some of my audio (mp3's) don't come out like the originals. Some have too
much bass, some have more hiss and some are quieter. I have XP SP2. Should I
be tweaking something? And when I start to build (compile) a list of some
mpeg files it will stop and give me an error message that says the file isn't
encoded correctly and to "re-encode" or "ignore and continue".

"Kevin" wrote:

> I use Nero 5.5 and it works fine. The video is the same quality as the
> original. When I burn music, it is indistinguishable from the original CD
> source I am copying. Always choose to encode video or music in the highest
> quality possible. This can result in huge file sizes, of course.
>
> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using Nero 5.5. I don't get the greatest quality video or audio from
> > this. Any software recommendations? I have Samsung Black 52X32X52 CD-RW
> > Drive, Model SW-252FEN. Does the CD-RW drive type make a difference in
> > quality?

Check out www.cdrfaq.com and possibly www.vcdhelp.com for good information.
The cdrfaq site is huge! I printed out the FAQ and it was something like
180 pages!

The whole encoding and re-encoding process is PFM (Pure F**king Magic) and
trying to understand it is like trying to understand Quantum Physics. It
exists, it's real and just try to deal with it as best you can. I once
tried for three weeks to get about 2.5 GB of various .mpg, .mpeg, .avi and
..mov files recoded and encoded to burn to a VCD format disk and never did
get it done. I emailed Ahead Software technical support and in a series of
emails that involved running some utilities they sent me, the technician
decided that there was absolutely no reason the software shouldn't work! In
complete and utter frustration I uninstalled Nero and reinstalled it.
Viola! The damn thing churned through those files like so much butter! Of
course, it would take a couple of hours to encode one stinking file and ten
minutes to encode another exactly the same size. It took me three solid
days to complete.

You will get some insight on burning music files on the cdrfaq site. I hope
this helps. Good luck and have patience.

> Some of my audio (mp3's) don't come out like the originals. Some have too
> much bass, some have more hiss and some are quieter. I have XP SP2. Should
> be tweaking something? And when I start to build (compile) a list of some
> mpeg files it will stop and give me an error message that says the file
isn't
> encoded correctly and to "re-encode" or "ignore and continue".
>
> "Kevin" wrote:
>
> > I use Nero 5.5 and it works fine. The video is the same quality as the
> > original. When I burn music, it is indistinguishable from the original
CD
> > source I am copying. Always choose to encode video or music in the
highest
> > quality possible. This can result in huge file sizes, of course.
> >
> > "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm using Nero 5.5. I don't get the greatest quality video or audio
from
> > > this. Any software recommendations? I have Samsung Black 52X32X52
CD-RW
> > > Drive, Model SW-252FEN. Does the CD-RW drive type make a difference in
> > > quality?

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Kevin, Excellent advice!! I went to the first site before, it's like
taking a college calculus course, it doesn't talk about video quality. The
other site looks great. My video quality dips just a tad after I burn. Are
there different CD quality types (I bought Maxell, I thought they were
reputable)? Thanks so much! Rob

"Kevin" wrote:

> Check out www.cdrfaq.com and possibly www.vcdhelp.com for good information.
> The cdrfaq site is huge! I printed out the FAQ and it was something like
> 180 pages!
>
> The whole encoding and re-encoding process is PFM (Pure F**king Magic) and
> trying to understand it is like trying to understand Quantum Physics. It
> exists, it's real and just try to deal with it as best you can. I once
> tried for three weeks to get about 2.5 GB of various .mpg, .mpeg, .avi and
> ..mov files recoded and encoded to burn to a VCD format disk and never did
> get it done. I emailed Ahead Software technical support and in a series of
> emails that involved running some utilities they sent me, the technician
> decided that there was absolutely no reason the software shouldn't work! In
> complete and utter frustration I uninstalled Nero and reinstalled it.
> Viola! The damn thing churned through those files like so much butter! Of
> course, it would take a couple of hours to encode one stinking file and ten
> minutes to encode another exactly the same size. It took me three solid
> days to complete.
>
> You will get some insight on burning music files on the cdrfaq site. I hope
> this helps. Good luck and have patience.
>
> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Some of my audio (mp3's) don't come out like the originals. Some have too
> > much bass, some have more hiss and some are quieter. I have XP SP2. Should
> > be tweaking something? And when I start to build (compile) a list of some
> > mpeg files it will stop and give me an error message that says the file
> isn't
> > encoded correctly and to "re-encode" or "ignore and continue".
> >
> > "Kevin" wrote:
> >
> > > I use Nero 5.5 and it works fine. The video is the same quality as the
> > > original. When I burn music, it is indistinguishable from the original
> CD
> > > source I am copying. Always choose to encode video or music in the
> highest
> > > quality possible. This can result in huge file sizes, of course.
> > >
> > > "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> from
> CD-RW

Thanks, Rob! I have used TDK, Maxell and even Staples and Office Depot
branded disks and they all worked fine. The disks are supposed to be
manufactured to some kind of standard, but who knows. A friend of mine buys
disks in bulk, lots of 10 packs of 100 disks each, and buys the cheapest he
can find. I don't remember the brand, but they are Japanese, something like
Taian or Tainan, something like that. He has negligible disk write failures
with them. If in doubt, buy a major name brand like Maxell, Sony or TDK.

> Hi Kevin, Excellent advice!! I went to the first site before, it's like
> taking a college calculus course, it doesn't talk about video quality. The
> other site looks great. My video quality dips just a tad after I burn. Are
> there different CD quality types (I bought Maxell, I thought they were
> reputable)? Thanks so much! Rob
>
> "Kevin" wrote:
>
> > Check out www.cdrfaq.com and possibly www.vcdhelp.com for good
information.
> > The cdrfaq site is huge! I printed out the FAQ and it was something
like
> > 180 pages!
> >
> > The whole encoding and re-encoding process is PFM (Pure F**king Magic)
and
> > trying to understand it is like trying to understand Quantum Physics.
It
> > exists, it's real and just try to deal with it as best you can. I once
> > tried for three weeks to get about 2.5 GB of various .mpg, .mpeg, .avi
and
> > ..mov files recoded and encoded to burn to a VCD format disk and never
did
> > get it done. I emailed Ahead Software technical support and in a series
of
> > emails that involved running some utilities they sent me, the technician
> > decided that there was absolutely no reason the software shouldn't work!
In
> > complete and utter frustration I uninstalled Nero and reinstalled it.
> > Viola! The damn thing churned through those files like so much butter!
Of
> > course, it would take a couple of hours to encode one stinking file and
ten
> > minutes to encode another exactly the same size. It took me three solid
> > days to complete.
> >
> > You will get some insight on burning music files on the cdrfaq site. I
hope
> > this helps. Good luck and have patience.
> >
> > "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Some of my audio (mp3's) don't come out like the originals. Some have
too
> > > much bass, some have more hiss and some are quieter. I have XP SP2.
Should
> > > be tweaking something? And when I start to build (compile) a list of
some
> > > mpeg files it will stop and give me an error message that says the
file
> > isn't
> > > encoded correctly and to "re-encode" or "ignore and continue".

> > CD
> > highest

> > from
> > CD-RW

bar

Best CD / DVD software that I've seen to date. DVD Cloner!

www.dvd-cloner.com/

The media has only a little to do with the result. The burner will be
responsible for 80% of your failures or 90% of the success.

Media will assist if you have a poor quality or substandard burner. Gold
discs will generally be better than silver.